AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have officially ordered everything, but now I have one last thing. After calling a couple audio stores in the area (not superstores like bestbuy or that), I got a general idea where to place each speaker. The confusing part was, how to aim the rear speakers. All the locations from each person were the same.

This is what they told me...

center right above the screen aiming at the center of sofa

fronts on the side of screen, no less then foot below center, aiming at the center of soda

rear one foot down and about one foot from back wall

One guy told me to aim the rears directly at the sofa. Another guy told me to aim it at the back wall somewhat towards the sofa. I would think aiming at the wall would fill the room a little more, or would it make the sound worse? That part was really confusing.

I do not know if it matters, but I am using HK235 and AR HC6.

Sorry about the quality of the attachment, I couldn't find a way to put a floorplan directly into an attachment.

If there is any other way you guys would suggest to setup the speakers, I am all ear.

Thanks

·
Registered
30,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballer123
I am all ear.
Only one Mr. Van Gogh?

With your seating area up against the rear wall, I would place the surround speakers in the back corners of the room, at least a couple of feet above ear level, facing each other and tilted down towards the listeners.

The rear wall and side wall will act as reflective surfaces, giving you additional diffusion and envelopment in the surround field. The high placement will allow all listeners to get direct sound from the speakers, without anyone's head blocking the way. The wide spread will maintain strong left-vs-right separation for the stereo surround channels of a 5.1 soundtrack.

BTW, good choice on the H/K 235. It comes with excellent surround processing (PLII and LOGIC7) for 2-channel material; movies/TV and music. When dialing in your system, set all the speakers to SMALL and set their crossovers to 80Hz (the low frequency limit of your AR speakers). On the back of the subwoofer, set the crossover knob all the way up to its highest setting (essentially removes the sub's crossover from the signal path, since you're already using the crossover in the receiver).

Calibrate levels and distances using the EZset feature (or the traditional way using a SPL meter and tape measure).

If you can place your centre speaker vertically instead of horizontally on top of the screen, you'll get more consistent sound to listeners that are not sitting in the sweet spot. It may look funny, but that shouldn't be a problem when watching movies in the dark. If possible, try to have your left & right speakers at the same height as the centre speaker (you may need to tilt all three speakers down a bit).

Finally, is there any way you can centre the screen on the front wall; like have the left edge near where the opening is? Then you can spread the front L/R speakers to opposite walls and have a wider soundstage.

Good Luck,

Sanjay

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani
Finally, is there any way you can centre the screen on the front wall; like have the left edge near where the opening is? Then you can spread the front L/R speakers to opposite walls and have a wider soundstage.

Sanjay
There is an electrical switch right by the doorway, so I can't cover that. I might be able to get it a little more centered, but then I have another concern. I am pretty sure the speaker will get bumped around quite a lot if i mounted it by the closet. As you can tell in the picture, there is only a couple of inches of space to mount them. To have a speaker sticking like 4 or 5 inches into the doorway does not work at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani
If possible, try to have your left & right speakers at the same height as the centre speaker (you may need to tilt all three speakers down a bit).

Sanjay
I am getting Omnimount 10.0 for every speaker so positioning will be easy.

Thanks

·
Registered
30,347 Posts
Quote:
I might be able to get it a little more centered
Every little bit helps. I would try to get it as close to centre as possible.
Quote:
I am pretty sure the speaker will get bumped around quite a lot if i mounted it by the closet.
What if you mounted it higher? For example, how high is the centre speaker going to be off the floor?

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it is probably going to be based on where the projector screen goes. Hanging it from the ceiling, I will probably have the top of the screen 6 or 6' 3" above the floor. So if I mounted the center basically right on top of the screen, the center would probably be anywhere from 6' 3" to 6' 6". The ceiling is only 8 feet tall. The picture shows

As for centering the screen, I cannot completely center the screen because of the doorway. I forgot to include the 3 inch molding on each side of the doorway. The best centering I could do, would be 5'' to 11'' towards the window. Sorry, another thing I forgot to mention about the screen, is that it pulls down. That means the white part of the screen is 4' 10'' wide, but the widest part (the top) is 6' wide.

Which is more important? Have the sound centered around the room and get the screen as close to center as possible. OR Have the sound centered around the screen and get the screen as close to center as possible.

I know the two concepts are similar, but they can also be different.

Would it make any sense to put the screen close to center and then the two fronts all the way on the sides. Then put the center channel right between the center of the screen and the center of the entire wall (splitting the difference)? I am not sure how much of a difference that would make in the case of messing up the sound.

Thanks

·
Registered
30,347 Posts
Quote:
the center would probably be anywhere from 6' 3" to 6' 6".
If you mounted the left & right speakers at the same height as the centre, would people still bump into them?
Quote:
Which is more important? Have the sound centered around the room and get the screen as close to center as possible. OR Have the sound centered around the screen and get the screen as close to center as possible.
If you're going to use the system for music listening, then it helps to have the listening seat lined up right between the left & right speakers. However, if the set-up is primarily for movies, then I would centre the speakers as close to symmetrical as possible around the screen.
Quote:
Would it make any sense to put the screen close to center and then the two fronts all the way on the sides. Then put the center channel right between the center of the screen and the center of the entire wall (splitting the difference)?
I would definitely place the L/R speakers to the sides to get a decent soundstage. Your idea for centre speaker placement is a good compromise (and one I hadn't thought of). Should pin the dialogue to the screen without being noticeably off-centre.

Sanjay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.