AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was watching Brotherhood of the Wolf last night. There are a few crowd scenes where I would expect the rear speakers to be loud, or at least, loud enough to feel 'surrounded by the crowd', but the sound seemed quite faint. I'm not sure whether or not this is the disc I'm watching or not.

Are there other movies I can watch with good surround noises, not in the 'during gladiator, the mace goes all the way around' sense, but just in that the ambient sounds in the rear channels provide an immersive experience? Or are my rear channels perhaps calibrated such that they have very low sound output?

I have b&w 601s3 rears, 603s3 fronts, an lcr 60 center, and a jbl psw10000 driven by a pioneer 45tx. I've run the mccac calibration already.

thanks!

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
It's normal to be somewhat dissapointed in the rear channel output for what you thought would be very strong surround. Happens all the time, however, I've found that you generally might want to up the rear channel a little over what the test tone says it should be.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
perhaps I wasn't clear in the post. What movies do you use to get that immersive feel? I understand that test tones aren't enough for that. I also am not very sure that that movie has a good surround soundtrack, so which do?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Das Boot is one of the best. DragonHeart and The Fifth Element are also good. (DragonHeart has the dragon circling behind you!)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should I try to find the superbit version of the fifth element, or is the standard copy ok? I'm thinking that the scene to use is the one where she jumps off the building...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I actually felt the same way you did when I first set up my system. So I turned up the rear channels a tiny bit. But what I found out was that they became way too distracting. Most movies encode the rears to be faint. The only time you should be able to distinctively hear the rears are when there is like a "swinging of a mace" scene in gladiator. Otherwise, during the ambient noise, you should be surrounded, but not be able to discern the rear speakers.

·
Registered
30,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TracerBullet
What movies do you use to get that immersive feel?
I use: 'Stargate: Ultimate Edition', 'Mission to Mars', 'Blade II', either of the 'Lord of the Rings' movies or either of the 'Star Wars' prequels. If you use EX or ES decoding with any of those DVDs, you should get some good side vs rear imaging of the surround content (those soundtracks were mixed with that in mind). Another good demo is the opening titles from the 'Superman: The Movie' DVD. As the first four credits stretch from front to back, you can actually hear the shushing sound go from the front speakers to the sides and fade away specifically in the rears. Try 'em out.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Also, remember that you often have to press the "audio" button on the DVD player to get the 5.1 track! You may have been in Pro-logic. Air Force 1 and The Fifth Element are obvious examples of movies that require you to switch to 5.1. Air Force One was the first movie I tried watching on my system and it took me a day or two to figure out how to get 5.1. I thought my system was broken!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going through an htpc with an audio passthrough to the receiver. Thanks for the tip tho-- I currently have the receiver on dolby prologic II decoding because it sounds better than the thx option. but perhaps I should just balance the thx instead...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.