AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm going to move soon in new apartment, Actually I'm using my 5.1 home theater with proper cables.

In new apartment it will not be possible, althought I've a CAT 5E lan cable from TV to back of the couch.

Do you think that each lan wire could be used for rear speakers/subwoofer?

If not 2 wires would do the job? I've no idea of the math behind wire sections/lenght.

Could you help?

Thank you

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
Unfortunately, networking cables are much too thin to be used with speakers. They can't deliver enough power. You might want to consider replacing your wired surround-sound speakers with wireless ones. They would have builtin power amplifiers, but would need to be plugged into nearby wall power.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
CAT5 cable has four 24awg pairs or 8 wires. If you put two of the pairs in parallel with the other, thus increasing the wire gauge, it might be acceptable for surround speakers. Perhaps a little shy on bass but again these are surround speakers? The distance should be less than 50 feet. Just put the sub woofer up front. Placement is not highly critical in a living room setup.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie  /t/1471516/rear-speakers-signal-cable#post_23284645

CAT5 cable has four 24awg pairs or 8 wires. If you put two of the pairs in parallel with the other, thus increasing the wire gauge, it might be acceptable for surround speakers. Perhaps a little shy on bass but again these are surround speakers? The distance should be less than 50 feet. Just put the sub woofer up front. Placement is not highly critical in a living room setup.

Doubling up wire is like having a wire that is 3 wire gauge sizes lower. IOW paralleling 2 each 24 gauge wires gives you 21 gauge, and putting 4 in parallel give you the effect of 18 gauge. So one piece of CAT 5 can be paralleled up into the equivalent of 18 gauge speaker wire, two pieces gets you to 15 gauge, and four gets you to 12 gauge.

I've actually built up a 12 gauge speaker cable out of 4 pieces of CAT5 in parallel and it was expensive, bulky, and took extra work to fabricate. IMO it only makes sense if you are broke , have time on your hands, someone gives you a lot of CAT5 to play with, and nobody cares about the extra bulk or strange appearance.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1471516/rear-speakers-signal-cable#post_23285472

Doubling up wire is like having a wire that is 3 wire gauge sizes lower. .

That's the idea. He only has a single CAT5 run. So he would be able to get two 21ga runs. The question is if this is good enough for his surrounds. Only listening and the demands of the listener will tell. It won't do any damage to use too thin a wire gauge.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hi Mauroxx,

I assume you just have a single Cat5e going to the couch. So you can only double-up once, giving you 21 gauge, which is probably not quiet enough.

I would look into Seldon's suggestion of going wireless. Another, somewhat similar alternative would be to use that Cat5e for line-level audio and use powered-speakers for the surrounds. You would first need to get line-level audio out of your AVR, and then you would need an audio-balun at each end of each chanel (four altogether, or two of these ).

If you wish to use your current surround speakers instead of powered-speakers, you could get a small amplifier that sits with the surrounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.