AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have their rear surround speakers mounted on the back wall and have their couch up against that same wall? I'm just not sure if this will work since the speakers are not actually behind the listening position. It seems like everyone has seating positions away from the back wall.

Also, I really dont have side walls unless I want to mount speakers all the way over in the dining area. So for a 7.1 setup I would have to hang speakers from the ceiling over the seating area. When hanging speakers on the ceiling, are dipole or direct fire speakers better?

Some other info: the back wall is 14 feet across from the wall with the t.v. resulting in a viewing distance of approx 12 feet. The other direction, the walls are very far apart (approx 32 feet) because of the dining area.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Here is what I designed basically following the guidelines of a horseshoe configuration the sofa is placed well away from the back wall by only 4 feet 1 measured horizontally. Measured diagonally to the centre back surrounds 5 feet 6 sofa. Sidewall varies around the room due to the chimney breast on the left-hand-side but there are no real issues, each of the three groups of surrounds have there own EQ to address issues.

Room length 15 feet width 10 feet 6 height 7 feet 8

Each of the sidewall arrays and rear wall arrays are wired in series.

Plus I have two more JBL control 1 10 in all, and I still need 10 because I want it to be pucker.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
I would skip the rear surrounds and just go 5.1.

Dipoles/bipoles vs. direct radiating monopoles is a personal preference. I still prefer direct radiating monopoles no matter the circumstances.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
And 5.1 doesn’t mean one surround for each sidewall unless you’ve seen even the smelliest tiniest of professional cinemas, where there can be whole array lined along the sidewalls in series with, maybe a centre back surround. But that would depend on whether a Dolby SA10 is installed otherwise it will go completely around in arc some six for the left and six for the right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So do you guys think a surround effect can be accomplished if the speakers are not actually behind the listener but instead mounted on the same wall. I really cant move my furniture into the middle of the room because of the layout of our living room.

All the proper diagrams i have seen show the rear speakers above and behind the listening position. I can go up but not back.

The only thing I might be able to do to create some distance is put some kind of narrow accent table behind the couch up against the wall. That would give me about an extra 10 inches.

I guess you just have to do the best you can but I'm wondering if its worth the trouble if it wont really be surround sound and maybe just better to forget about any rear/side speakers and go 2.1 with a center channel.

I'm worried that the listening position will be overpowered by the rear speakers if you sit on the back wall.

I've attached a floorplan of my house. The thick black line between the couches and the dining area is actually a low wall so the listening area combines with the dining area. If I hang ceiling speakers around the couch area, would it still sound right?

It seems like I can place ceiling speakers in the proper position for side surrounds for 7.1 but I can not place rear surrounds in the proper position for any type of surround sound.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
What about using speaker stands for your 5.1 surrounds and position them to the sides of your listening position.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esd33 /forum/post/14280263

The only thing I might be able to do to create some distance is put some kind of narrow accent table behind the couch up against the wall. That would give me about an extra 10 inches.

That's a possibility, but 10" is still not much. Better than nothing, I suppose.

Quote:

I guess you just have to do the best you can but I'm wondering if its worth the trouble if it wont really be surround sound and maybe just better to forget about any rear/side speakers and go 2.1 with a center channel.

Why can't you still use the surround speakers to the sides in a 5.1 setup? (2.1 w/ center = 3.1, btw)

Quote:

I'm worried that the listening position will be overpowered by the rear speakers if you sit on the back wall.

You'll calibrating and adjusting the level of those speakers appropriately. If they still seem too loud, you can turn them down further.

Quote:

It seems like I can place ceiling speakers in the proper position for side surrounds for 7.1 but I can not place rear surrounds in the proper position for any type of surround sound.

If you can place the side surrounds directly to the sides (@ 90°) for 7.1, why can't you just go with a 5.1 setup?

Again, if I were in your shoes I'd just go with a 5.1 setup. This gives you more money to spend on your other speakers or, better yet, your sub.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esd33 /forum/post/14278053

Does anybody have their rear surround speakers mounted on the back wall and have their couch up against that same wall? I'm just not sure if this will work since the speakers are not actually behind the listening position. It seems like everyone has seating positions away from the back wall.

Also, I really dont have side walls unless I want to mount speakers all the way over in the dining area. So for a 7.1 setup I would have to hang speakers from the ceiling over the seating area. When hanging speakers on the ceiling, are dipole or direct fire speakers better?

Some other info: the back wall is 14 feet across from the wall with the t.v. resulting in a viewing distance of approx 12 feet. The other direction, the walls are very far apart (approx 32 feet) because of the dining area.

Thanks for any advice!

Here is what I did using a 90 degree omni type mount. They are marketed for mounting from the ceiling but they work perfect off the back wall. I have to say the sound staging is really good with the speakers like this. I have heard systems with the surrounds on stands and it just didn't blend at all. This way it blends rather well and I love it.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien /forum/post/14280322

What about using speaker stands for your 5.1 surrounds and position them to the sides of your listening position.

+1

·
Registered
29,959 Posts

Quote:

All the proper diagrams i have seen show the rear speakers above and behind the listening position. I can go up but not back.

If logistics make it impossible to mimic the proper diagrams, then try to get as close as possible. It would be nice if you could place your surrounds at a location that would give you a decent compromise between side and rear coverage in the surround field. But you can't, because there's literally no room behind you to do that. In that case, place them as far back as possible, even if that ends up being directly to your sides (though mounted higher up).
Quote:

Oh it'll be surround sound, just not as ideal as it could be if your couch was away from the back wall. Don't make this an all or nothing choice. So what if your set-up isn't perfect, it will still sound better than no surrounds.
Quote:
So do you guys think a surround effect can be accomplished if the speakers are not actually behind the listener but instead mounted on the same wall.

No. Speakers placed directly at your sides usually won't create phantom imaging behind you (the way speakers further back would). It's not the end of the world. You'll still get surround sound, with clear stereo separation in the surround field. I've heard set-ups like this and they can sound terrific. Your's shouldn't sound any less.

Good Luck,

Sanjay

·
Registered
715 Posts
Good morning all!!!

so, i am really glad i came upon this thread because i have the exact same set up as op. i need the same kind of help.

i'm going to go through with a 5.1 setup and skipping out on the 7.1 but need some q's answered by you fine folks at these forums.

i am still unsure whether to place the speakers on stands or on wall mounts. i can go either way, i guess it all depends on what you pro's would do. to me.....doesn't make much of a difference. Links or examples of what you have in mind would be greatly greatly appreciated.

so i'm guessing if i put the speakers on stands they will be at listening level.....but what if i put them on wall mounts (if you guys suggest), should i place them at listening level or slighly higher?? i always assumed that ear level is what to do but i've noticed some of you guys putting them way up high......please clarify.

thank you all for your time and patience with this noob!

-benny

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb benee /forum/post/14285422

i always assumed that ear level is what to do but i've noticed some of you guys putting them way up high......please clarify.

Not too high. Two to three feet should do it.

Experiment a bit. Try them at ear level and then try them a few feet higher and see what you prefer.

For me, especially in a 5.1 set-up, I like to use dipoles or tripoles mounted a few feet above my head. I lose a bit of directionality, but I get more of an enveloping sound field that way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I prefer mounts as pictured in post #8. This is from my reciever manual which is a good basic guide for surround set up.

"used in 5.1 operation, the preferred location for surround speakers is on the side walls of the room, at or slightly behind the listening position." At least 6 inches from ceiling and at least 2 feet above ear level.

Try this enjoy and experiment with what you have in the room.

·
Registered
247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esd33 /forum/post/14278053

Thanks for any advice!

I have a situation like yours with only about 10 inches available behind the seating and the dining area to one side. I use a 5-1 setup. I have a bit of side wall on either side of the seating and have the surrounds mounted up near the ceiling angled downward toward the seat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts