AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need comments on this system.

I will be buying a RX-V661BL reciever.

I already speakers from an old setup which is the Polk RT400 for the front, a pair of Sony SS-SR-100 for the rear, the center channel Sony SS-CN100, and a 10" Pioneer Sub.

I was going to mount the Sony speakers near the ceiling in a room that measures 21' x 22'. These are old speakers. Are they any good? Should I get in-wall mount? What about the Polks? I think they are good.

This system will be used mainly for movies. I'm kinda new to this audio stuff so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
15,463 Posts
Since you have a hodge podge of speakers from various manufacturers I would consider buying a whole new speaker setup so that everything is voiced the same.

I really like Paradigm speakers, PSB speakers, Tannoy speakers, DALI, and Revel. They make various speaker lines with different price levels. Even the ********** X-Series and Rocket lines are tremendous bang vs. bucks.

Though, it's best to listen, listen, listen and take a variety of music with you. Piano and female voices are very difficult to get right as well as full symphony recordings. Movies are EASY to reproduce as they are very processed. Pop/rock recordings are usually bad to use for speaker quality testing.

I used to like Polk, but not their more current stuff. You can do better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's sorta what I figured. For the left and right surround speaks do they need to be ear level or can they be mounted 8-9 feet near the ceiling?

If they need to be ear level then I will look for an in-wall mount (any suggestions?) and if they can be mounted high I'll probably get a bracket mount.

And also does anyone have any look links on how to setup a room?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,463 Posts
You want your side surround speakers just slightly behind your ears (in an upright sitting position) and 2-3 feet above your ears while also seated).

Back surrounds should be at the same height as the sides, spread out like a stereo pair on the back wall.

This is for movie watching. For multi-channel, high resolution music you want the tweeters of all the speakers at ear level.

An easy to understand speaker placement breakdown:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...omlayout2.html

I will state, for the record, that I do not endorse the use of dipolar or bipolar speakers for surround usage as they smear the soundfield with today's discrete 5.1 and 7.1 mixes, music especially.

Dan

·
Registered
342 Posts
Agree with the above...but don't drive yourself crazy if you can't get it exactly right. The main thing is that if your doing 5.1, the speakers can be to the rear...if you're going 7.1, you want to have them more to the side of you.

If you can't get the speakers into an "optimal" position, your receiver probably has settings that will offset some of this. Distance, delay...etc...can go a long way towards fixing a "bad" room.

Until we build our new house (and I can have a dedicated room built as I want it), I've had to make do with our living room which is FAR from an ideal layout. However, with some work and adjustments, I was able to get the sound very good. My surround and rear speakers are too high 8-9' above ear level...but there was no way around it. After setting the distances and adjusting the individual volumes (with an SPL meter), I'm very happy.

Just a suggestion...with today's technologies...you can do a lot to make up for room difficulties...good luck!!!

Edit...since your using the system mainly for movies, you've got a bit more flexibility...Dan is right on about high res music...and the di-bipolar speakers try to stay awar from them for your surrounds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments. Is it just a matter of preference if I use in-wall speakers or on-wall mount? Or is there an advantage to using the on-wall since I can change angle the speakers? If I mount in-wall I can place the speakers in the ideal placement but if I mount the on-wall they must be mounted 8-9' high.

Or am I thinking about this too much as Bduffy10 pointed out not to drive myself crazy?

Oh and also what are good websites to order equipment? Crutchfield?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,463 Posts
Most of the speakers I mentioned except for www.********** have to be bought at a dealer. Each manufacturer I mentioned has a website where you can get a dealer listing for your area. That's a good thing because it can make it easier to audition them in person.

I would not choose the Yamaha that you mentioned. For the money I'd go with the Onkyo 705 receiver as long as you give it proper ventilation as it runs on the hot side. The 705 has all the latest audio formats for Blu-ray and has 7.1 pre-amp outputs so you can easily add a more powerful outboard amplifier in the future. http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i

Try Amazon, 6ave.com, jr.com, frys.com, for decent deals on the Onkyo. The cheaper Onkyo 605 has some operational limitations that would scrub it from my to-buy list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts