AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm having a bit of a tough time adding 2 back surround speakers to my existing 5.1 system. My Sofa is backed up right against the wall and due to the constraints of the room I can't move the sofa up off the wall more than a few inches.

In ceiling speakers wouldn't be very easy to implement as I don't have access to the attic. As far as in wall speakers go I'm concerned that given the small space between the wall and couch I won't get the desired effect.

I have also heard that mounting two speakers on the wall and facing them down is not a very good solution either and it also wouldn't go over very well at my house due to WAF. I have heard some comment that placing two speakers on the floor behind the couch facing up can produce a decent alternative in some situations.

I would appreciate if anyone who has tried some of these options can comment on how well it works and whether in this situation going to a 7.1 system is actually worth it. I have already purchased two Polk Rti38's for this purpose but I could use them for zone 2 if it doesn't work out.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Having your sofa on against the back wall should be no problem. Your sofa should be placed for optimal viewing, not sound. Place the speakers as on the side walls of the room parallel to the sofa and as close to the ceiling as you can. This is how I have mine set up and the effect is fine. Polk makes speakers that a made for this type of configuration, but I can't recall the model #. They are in triangular cabinets as opposed to square ones and are over kill for surround speaker (They may sound better than the front ones).

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EVT
I have heard some comment that placing two speakers on the floor behind the couch facing up can produce a decent alternative in some situations.
The dolby site shows this but mentions they should be a couple feet off the ground.

http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTh...0110.html#s3.3

Bottom line is your couch is in a lousy place for true 7.1 sound. Clearly for optimum and realistic movie viewing to match what the director intended you to experience you would sit in the best place for viewing AND listening. Anything but that point of view would seem to contradict logic and all the professional opinions (not me/us the professional sound people).

Obviously your room is your room and you have to deal with it. The best thing you can do is experiment. It'll probably blow your neighbors and friends away anyway.;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.