AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem, I'm moving and the room I have to work with, I can't mount my rear surrounds on the wall. So I have to buy speaker stands to put the rears on, problem is I can only find them 36 inch's high, and everywhere I read they say the rears should be 1 to 2ft above your head. I have Emotiva ERD-1 rears.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax /forum/post/19640658

everywhere I read they say the rears should be 1 to 2ft above your head.

I disagree with that advice. All speakers should be at ear level, and that recommendation is also endorsed by the NARAS technical wing of the Grammys organization, in their guidelines for the very rooms where surround soundtracks are mixed. More here:

How to set up a room
Grammy Surround Standards

--Ethan

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer /forum/post/19646808

All speakers should be at ear level, and that recommendation is also endorsed by the NARAS technical wing of the Grammys organization, in their guidelines for the very rooms where surround soundtracks are mixed.

The suggested guidelines in Standard IEC 62574 for General channel assignment of multichannel audio are somewhat similar:
Middle layer - middle layer of three loudspeaker-layers located at the vertical center of the TV screen, alternatively at the same height as the height of viewer's ear.
Of course the specific needs of every listening space are different, and some different elevation of your surrounds may produce better results...?!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts