Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
simple question:

the "rear" surrounds -- should they actually be behind you or off to the side? how about at ear level or above ear level (suspended from ceiling, on wall, or on the floor on stands?)

any ideas?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Check Dolby's web site for recommendation, but I recommend you use your own ears. Do what sounds best to you. Start with what Dolby says, but then tune using your own ears. Remember: Dolby has never been in your listening environment. People on here think I'm crazy because I say 6.1 sounds better than 7.1. In my listening environment it does! To many speakers in too small a room lessens the panning surround effect, but people just blindly follow and quote what Dolby, or even worse the salesman says.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
1)If you have a 5.1 setup with speakers on stands I would place the rears near corners and angle them toward the listening position.

2) If the rears are dipoles I would place them on the side walls perpendicular to the listening position.

3) If you have a 7.1 setup I would place the speakers up high on the wall with the side channels perpendicular and the rears about 4-6 feet apart but more or less in the center of the room- a quasi 6.1 installation with 2 speakers.

And Bone_stock, Dolby used to recommend 6.1 and not 7.1 until they got into bed with Lucas and suddenly they began to recommend both. Personally, I prefer 7.1 to 6.1 but either hookup if setup correctly should work.

Alan

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by audiblesolutions

And Bone_stock, Dolby used to recommend 6.1 and not 7.1 until they got into bed with Lucas and suddenly they began to recommend both. Personally, I prefer 7.1 to 6.1 but either hookup if setup correctly should work.

Alan
Yes, and doesn't that make you wonder if Dolby wasn't motivated by something other than science and the best possible sound. Like say MONEY! Why recommend a 6.1 setup when you can recommend a 7.1 setup and recieve a kickback on the sale of an extra speaker and THX royalties. I'm not saying Dolby is guilty of that, but it does make one wonder! The almighty dollar is a powerful motivator! This is why I told the original poster to let his own ears be the judge, but not what someone with a financial stake told him.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.