AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some matching posts, Im am trying to go with all Polk Monitor series for a 7.1 system... My main problem is there is no wall for the 2 rear to sit on. I am going to use Monitor 30's for the side surrounds. It is a drop ceiling, so im not sure how you would hang bookshelf type speakers (like the 30). My other option would be to use the RM101 which are small enough to hang, but they would not match with the rest. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisx
My main problem is there is no wall for the 2 rear to sit on.
How far back do the side walls go and how wide is the room?

Thanx,

Sanjay

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have the numbers on hand... but the side speakers will be at seating (around 10 ft maybe a bit more). They should line up well. The side rear's however will be hanging in the middle of the room (its a finished basement, so a large area).

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
See the attached drawing of a typical 7.1-speaker layout.

The side speakers should go directly to the sides of the listeners. The rears should be behind the listeners, spread at least 30 degrees away from the centre line (i.e., 60 degree separation).

So if you imagine your system as a circle, with you in the middle, the centre speaker will be at zero degrees, the side speakers at your +/- 90 degree points, and the rear speakers at +/- 150 degrees.

The rear speakers need not be on the back wall; placing them far enough back on the side walls will put them at your +/- 150 degree locations. To get that location, you measure the width of the room and divide by 1.2 to find out how far back to place the rear speakers. For example: if the room is 12 feet wide, then you can measure 10 feet back from your side speakers and place the rears there (angled towards the listening area).

Sanjay

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
See the attached drawing of a typical 7.1-speaker layout.

The side speakers should go directly to the sides of the listeners. The rears should be behind the listeners, spread at least 30 degrees away from the centre line (i.e., 60 degree separation).

So if you imagine your system as a circle, with you in the middle, the centre speaker will be at zero degrees, the side speakers at your +/- 90 degree points, and the rear speakers at +/- 150 degrees.

The rear speakers need not be on the back wall; placing them far enough back on the side walls will put them at your +/- 150 degree locations. To get that location, you measure the width of the room and divide by 1.2 to find out how far back to place the rear speakers. For example: if the room is 12 feet wide, then you can measure 10 feet back from your side speakers and place the rears there (angled towards the listening area).

Good Luck,

Sanjay

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the diagram. Im gonna have to have them hanging somehow. Not sure I'll be able to get around that. So I can't imagine hanging Monitor 30's from the ceiling, I suppose its possible, not sure how. My alterative is to go with the more satallite rm101's, but that would break the matching.

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
Can't you put shelves on the side walls or use Omnimounts (or some other sort of speaker wall-mount)?

Sanjay

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wall just wont work, there is no wall where the LB speaker would go. The RB may be able to go on a wall, but the LB can't. Wish it would, but alas, have to hang one :)

Thanks for the time your taking though :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its a basement, so its oddly shaped. There are side walls, they just don't go back far enough for the rears. It opens up into a larger space.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.