AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an idea, but I'm also seeking input and please correct me if I am heading the wrong direction.

I've read that the rear wall still needs sound absorbtion treatment up to ear level, but above that, it should be treated to diffuse sound. I've researched sound diffusors and discovered they are quite often costly and ugly.

I will treat the rear walls up to ear level with linacoustic and covering with GOM and above that with 1" poly batting covered with GOM.

I've also read that you can place bookshelves on the rear wall to help break up and diffuse the sound. I will have seats against the real wall and do not want a bookshelf there.

My idea is to place several pieces of wood varying in lenght and thickness (varying from 1/4" to 1") beneath the GOM on the rear wall. The GOM will give the appearance of a flat wall, but actually the wall surface will be varied in due to the pieces of wood.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
That might very well work I think Aulex and a few others have products like this. I've seem wooden frames that are configured like this as well. Just do it in a random pattern.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I have used diffusers hidden under GOM for the rear wall, and they work very well as long as you keep a little clearance to the fabric surface. I never go below a 4" overall depth for the diffuser wells, as you otherwise don't get down very low in frequency.

Also, "number theory" diffusers of the type Manfred Schroeder designed and RPG builds work better than a random arrangement, according to an early paper by Schroeder. And you don't have to worry about using basic designs like the Quadratic Residue Diffuser. This was first published in the literature many years ago, and is therefore public domain.

- Terry

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've known people who've made diffusers by drilling several (1/2 - 3/4") holes of varying depth in MDF.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.