AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As was suggested to me in another thread I can use a combination of 6" of OC703 and a diffusor on the rear wall of my theatre to help with bass trapping/improved mid & high acoustics

the rear wall is 5/8" DD/GG

Due to 2 limitations -

1) is that the door to the theatre is on the left ( looking at the back wall )

and

2)the door to the bathroom is on the right wall 15" away from the rear wall

not the best sketch but ...

My question is how do I build the door to be flush with this wall and still treat it as a bass trap so that the rear wall is consistent and the door opens properly ... keep in mind I have virtually no room on that left side ( solid core door + 1/2" mdf & GG + 6" OC703 ) ... is it even possible to hinge this door to open properly ?

Has anyone done much acoustic treatment of doors ?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruffyHT /forum/post/17043121

is it even possible to hinge this door to open properly ?

Has anyone done much acoustic treatment of doors ?

You could only put as much on the door as the distance from the hinge to the side wall and still get the door to open properly. This is with normal hinges maybe there is something else.

I put a 1 inch Linacoustic panel on two doors in my basement.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I've got a similar problem - worse in that I am probably going to put a poly on it. I'm considering having the door swing into the room as a result - not against the wall...possibly against some sort of code, but I dont care - my whole room is going to be.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are there any hinges that slide the door out forward first (to accomodate the thickness of the insulation) and then swing the door open ?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruffyHT /forum/post/17058364

Are there any hinges that slide the door out forward first (to accomodate the thickness of the insulation) and then swing the door open ?

You are thinking about hinges similar to the ones on airplane doors. Can't say I've ever seen one used for residential construction but there is always a first. Keep in mind whatever you do, it is going to reduce your effective doorway width.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
You could possibly find some pivot hinges that might work - fixing them to the floor might be a bit difficult. These sit on the top and bottom of a door.

But as Big alluded too you, it'll reduce the opened width of the door.

I was thinking of hanging a "no fat chicks" sign at the entrance to mine....but I cant see the minister for finance and recretation agreeing to that

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Check out my thread. My door panel with insulation moves out of the way of the hinge as the door is opened into the room.

I have a piece of 1/2" MDF that covers the entire door and it is mounted to the door on 2 ball bearing chassis slides. My 1" thick fabric panels hang on the MDF panel.

A simple hinge mechanism pushes the mdf panel with the fabric frames away from the hinge side of the door as it opens which allows the door to open to it's fullest width.

You don't have much room to work with but this method would allow you to maximize the acoustical treatment of your door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.