AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want this tv but my current tv space is too small. The current space is a built-in book shelf/cabinet unit with a "tabletop" area that's only 24" deep. Unfortunately, it is in the corner at a 30-45 degree angle to the viewing area, so the tv has to be on an angle. An older 27" Sony unit barely fits depth wise.

So I'm thinking of moving the new larger tv to a dedicated stand on the adjacent wall. But that will still mean that the tv has to sit at an angle to the wall. I need a high stand - about 30 inches - to keep the tv away from toddlers. So that means the matching stand (and most similar low stands) won't work.

So I'm considering having a custom unit built with side by side adjustable shelving space in front (behind 2 doors) with a flat top for the tv. I would want that unit to sit flush against the wall so the tv will have to to be at an angle on the stand. That angle will mean that the stand/shelving unit will end up being pretty deep and I'm thinking about having open areas in the back - behind the front accessible shelves - where I can put a HT computer and subwoofer. The rear area would be accessible via side panels - maybe a sliding panel on each side.

But I don't want to make the whole thing too deep (since it will already be sticking out into the room pretty far). So I'm trying to figure out the minimum depth I need to have the tv on about a 30 degree angle. To figure that out I need I need to have the rear width of the tv. (The listed specs are 40.125" wide and 25.125" deep). I know it tapers some from front to back, but does anyone know the rear width so I can figure this out.

Sorry for the involved explanation. Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
IIRC, from taking several measurements last night, at the very back of the unit, the width measures 22 inches.

I'm in a similar position with the size of the TV and the custom cabinets that I had built to hold *THIS* TV. The cabinet maker created the tabletop depth correctly, but the TV will stick out of the opening SIGNIFICANTLY.

Determined to get this TV, and have it look good, I bought it yesterday at Circuit City for $1901 plus tax, brought it home and (with a friend) hauled it in the house. Once I had it out of it's packaging, I began studying the size situation a bit. Hmmm... the back wall where the TV is going is an outside wall... hmmm... I could gain another near 4 inches if I frame in a "window"...

Here comes the level, circular saw, and flush cut saw..... :D As soon as my wife left for the evening, demolition began in my 2 week old home. The "window", from memory, is 28" tall and 26" wide directly centered within the 41" width. I'll take some pics tonight of the "window" and hopefully, of the TV sitting in it. :)

http://www.tldot.com/newhouse/021113/P0002985.JPG

http://www.tldot.com/newhouse/021204/P0003039.JPG

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot Tony.

That's a lot more tapered than I realized. I guess the custom stand/cabinet won't have to be as big as I thought. :)

Funny thing...I was thinking about cutting out the wall behind my current built-in (which looks very similar to yours). It's also an outside wall, but it seemed a bit much - especially as my carpentry skills are limited. Good luck with your efforts.

I'll be interested in the the pictures. And thanks again. Now to call the custom furniture builder I know. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.