AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, need some help if anyone here can be of assistance.

I have the new SVS Prime Satellites for front L/R duty right now, and will be adding at least one more for the center so I get a matched front end. I was originally going to get 5 of these with 2 going to surround duty. If there is a less expensive option for the surrounds that will match closely enough with these I would consider going that route.

Has anyone heard the Primes who has compared them to other speakers which cost less? One example I've been looking at is the EMP TEK E3b. A pair of these is roughly $10 cheaper than one Prime Sat. Would these be good enough to get a good match?

Any recommendations are welcomed?

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Good enough for surrounds? probably, but only your ears will tell you the answer to that. A match, not likely, but it is not as critical to match your surrounds, unless you intend to listen to a lot of 5 channel music!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Elihawk! Sorry, did not see this until now.

I added the center channel Prime Sat and now have a matched front end. Those E3b's are tempting. Anyone else have anything to add? All comments/suggestions welcomed.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Thanks for the reply Elihawk! Sorry, did not see this until now.

I added the center channel Prime Sat and now have a matched front end. Those E3b's are tempting. Anyone else have anything to add? All comments/suggestions welcomed.
I can only relay my experience recently from going with two diff families of speakers for front soundstage vs side/rear sound stage.

1st evolution: JTR Triple 8HT's for front with JBL 8340A for sides/rear

2nd evolution: JTR Triple 8HT's for fronts with reaction audio's CX-8's for sides/rear

3rd evolution: Reaction audio CX-10's for fronts and CX-8's for sides/rear.

The third evolution is the most satisfying of the three....reason I believe is the timbre match of all the speakers. In previous evolutions, I would hear a front sound stage and my sides would stand out as an almost separate sound stage...with the rears less engaged.

The best audio example I can site is Dark Knight chapter 20 (I think) where joker takes an automatic and shoots the sides of the swat vehicle that Harvey Dent is in....the sound should come from front right all around the listening area in sequence with the last shot coming from the front left speaker. I would hear gaps until I switch to all Reaction Speakers. Panning is seamless. There is a larger sound stage since the fronts and sides blend together to create more of an audio bubble.

Could I lived with previous set ups? Yes, of course. Why? Because you don't know what you are missing till to hear it. Would I go back? Not if I can afford to stay within "the family" of speakers matched for a seamless sound experience.

Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts