AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else only buying this for the scene with Natalie Portman? You know which scene I'm talking about. I liked the movie alright but the scene I liked even better.

·
Registered
480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstinky /forum/post/0

Anybody else only buying this for the scene with Natalie Portman? You know which scene I'm talking about. I liked the movie alright but the scene I liked even better.

You bet your ass I am!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstinky /forum/post/0

You mean that creepy scene where what looks like a 12 year-old girl is stripping for a 40 year-old dude?

·
Banned
4,488 Posts
I'm buying it because it's a good movie. I've frankly never understood the resistence to it. Excellent performances all around, a twisting, turning plot about what closeness really means, how people express it and sometimes turn away from it. It's about being comfortable enough with yourself so that you can be comfortable with someone else.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic /forum/post/0

That scene is SUPPOSED to be creepy....it's sort of THE ENTIRE POINT.

Is it just me?

Clive Owen's obsession with her is supposed to border on creepy, but I don't think the part was written with someone who looks like Natalie Portman in mind.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Unless I'm missing something here, you're talking about the scene where he goes into the strip club...

If, so, I'm surprised everyone is so hot about it. She's an adult and nothing is really shown, although I understand the original scene included graphic nudity that all parties agreed to cut out and destroy.

IMHO, the ideas in this thread would better fit the international release version of The Professional, in which Natalie WAS 12.

I see Closer as a film only for special tastes. It had me thinking about it for days afterward, and for me, that's a unique quality in a film.

Although I'm quite a fan of Natalies (btw, she graduated from the local high school here), I wasn't terribly turned on by her in Closer.

Take a look at her in Beautiful Girls, if you want to get turned on by her as a teenager. There are no revealing scenes, she just puts out a vibe that is compellingly alluring in that film.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanMedia /forum/post/0

Bah - the awkward cliched strip tease scene without any stripping?

I would buy it just for the opening scene in the crowd over music where the viewer really connects with Natalie.

There you go!

That opening got me into Damien Rice.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I became of fan of Clive Owen after watching this. The candor of the dialogue in the scene where Owen's character unleashes a verbal barrage towards Robert's just took my breath away. I still watch my sd copy regularly so upgrading is a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_ME /forum/post/0

You mean that creepy scene where what looks like a 12 year-old girl is stripping for a 40 year-old dude?

So!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Clive Owen and Jude Law. I'm so on this.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 Umbrellas /forum/post/0

I became of fan of Clive Owen after watching this. The candor of the dialogue in the scene where Owen's character unleashes a verbal barrage towards Robert's just took my breath away. I still watch my sd copy regularly so upgrading is a no brainer for me.

I feel the same way.

·
Registered
359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 Umbrellas /forum/post/0

Oh yeah! I saw this opening night in theatres, and when he told Julia Roberts to...well, I won't post it (the very end of his tirade), I nearly stood up and applauded.

Love this movie, can't wait to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanMedia /forum/post/0

Bah - the awkward cliched strip tease scene without any stripping?

I would buy it just for the opening scene in the crowd over music where the viewer really connects with Natalie.

same here, great scene with an even better song...should sound great on this release

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.