AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with Cameron at JVC Canada & he said the delay was definitely because of a small part & not because they were doing some major changes to the unit.

The part that they need to assemble the PJ with was available 3 weeks ago but no longer is. The manufacturer has changed that small part from a 1" before to a 2" today & the new size will not fit into the SX21 so the manufacturer will have to go back & re-make them only for JVC.

The Feb release date was also confirmed by Cameron & so was my viewing appointment with JVC.

Unless things change at JVC I will be viewing the SX-21 along with the 150 model on Monday Dec 9th & for those of you that are interested & want to come email me & I can include you in the visit. Remember we will be seeing these units properly calibrated & will have DVD & a D-VHS deck for our viewing pleasure on a 197" screen.

My email is [email protected]

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Only a 197" screen. Why so small? I assume that is width correct;)

Be sure to verify what screen material they are using. Also ask what the post-calibration lumen output and contrast ratios of the two projectors are. When viewing the SX-21 check to see how noticeable the slight blue tinge is with blacks.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Also, Please ask about the software upgrade that is mentioned in This thread addressing the DVI issue.

I would also look closely for any light spill when in 16:9 mode. Some pictures would also be great if you have a good camera :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've received a few emails already & looks like there will be a few of us there on Monday Dec 9th, if others are still interested please email me to the address above in the first post.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Chris:

Should anyone bring an HTPC for the helluvit ? Or is this being too nit-picky of us ? MY HTPC is freshly upgraded to P4-2.4 GHz and ATI Radeon 7500 with DVI, an is really quick to setup.

- Andy [email protected]

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Andy bring it, why not? The more the merrier..Heck, we are potential customers so why not see it the way we need to see it? I'm for it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
How I envy you guys. A 197" screen??? That's even bigger than the one I'm planning around (180"), and I've already been told MINE is out of the realm of "normal" :p

If any of you manage to hook up an HTPC to the SX21 and display the LOTR DVD on that screen, I'll be your best buddy for life :p I'm really curios as to how a good DVD looks when blown up that big.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Don't worry, Jorus, what they don't tell you is that their minimum seating distance is 50 feet from the screen! :)

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
On a 197" screen you are going to be in the sub-10-Ft-Lambert area very quickly. I would strongly consider a hi-power screen or very similar.

Also, if the "blacks" are slightly blue then color correction with a CC filter might be in order. You will also maintain the full contrast ratio of the projector in the process.

But I digress, let's just hope JVC gets these projectors out in quanity, soon...

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
12 Posts
Chris-

Please be sure to post you thought and opinions of the viewing. There are several of us that are anxious to hear the results of the SX-21. I only saw it for a brief amount of time at CEIDIA and was very impressed.

Thanks,

ASTIV

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Lammer
Chris: Be sure to email me the location & time.

- Andy [email protected]

Hi Andy,

We are going back & forth now for the time because he tells me that they can only bring me (us) down in the morning like 10am but that won't work for me, I can only go in the afternoon so he is trying to work around a schedule to fit us in.

That's a bummer because we specifically made an afternoon viewing a long time ago & now he changes it which is not right. In any event, he is trying to get us there after work now around 5-6pm which will be good for me & another guy who is coming with us.

I will know later today (so he says) the exact time for Monday & I will post it here.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have just confirmed my meeting with JVC Canada & Cameron Morrison for this coming Monday Dec 9th to view the SX21 & the 150 but the bad news is the time is early in the morning between 9am & 9:30am.

I know John (another forum member & a good friend of mine) who wanted to come badly probably can't make it this early but Cameron has to leave JVC at the latest 11am so we can't do it any other time plus the SX21 will be making an exit & leaving from JVC as well by noon that very same day.

Too bad because I'd like someone else to be there with me that way I get another opinion & not just my own. I know Andy Lammer wants to make it as well but I hope the 9am time is good for him. Andy I will email you the location.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I will be there for sure !

I will have my HTPC in the back seat of my car in hopes there is opportunity for us to try it out.

- Andy

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Good luck you guy's :)

I hope you have enough time to hook up the HTPC!

Andy, don't forget a DVI cable!

I don't think the JVC guy knows what he is getting into ;)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok,

from the looks of it we're all going to make it to that viewing, John the Depot Dude, Andy Lammer with one of his friends & myself.

Great! Andy, Please bring a DVI cable don't forget! I'll call you on the phone as well to remind you in case you don't get to read this thread till Monday.

·
Registered
536 Posts
So Guys! Did the Sx21 make the cut? Is it worth waiting for, or is it an overpriced paperweight?

Sorry to bug you, but some of us are reallyanxious for your firsthand review....

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Hmmmm.......it's almost 4pm Toronto Time and the demo was this morning at 9:30....where are you guy's? :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
It was so good that they had to sign an NDA, then they got vaporized by the vaporware.

Just kidding. I am as anxious as all the rest.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.