AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a reasonable cost to program a Pronto TU 9600 with 4 devices for a home theater application. I was quoted $700. Seems like a lot to me.

David

·
Registered
170 Posts
That's on the high side. I don't think I've ever charged over $500 and that was for a system that included a bar, a theater, and some crazy dual pre/pro setup for CD listening.

If your 4 device system is pretty straight forward, and you aren't looking for anything too out there it should be in the $300 to $500 range, IMO.

Is this an integrator? If so, they probably have a canned program that they tweak for your components and it shouldn't take that long.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
What are the devices? Did u buy the remote from him?

Display

Cable/Sat/Tivo

CD/DVD/Blu Ray

Receiver

Any multiple zones, custom artwork and sounds? That is 4 devices, but can be multiple activities.

Have you shown yourself to be very picky or requiring more time than an average customer?

If it is done correctly the first or second time, $500.. $700 does not really matter. Get someone else to do it or do it yourself. Your call, of course.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555 /forum/post/14364199

What are the devices? Did u buy the remote from him?

Display

Cable/Sat/Tivo

CD/DVD/Blu Ray

Receiver

Any multiple zones, custom artwork and sounds? That is 4 devices, but can be multiple activities.

Have you shown yourself to be very picky or requiring more time than an average customer?

If it is done correctly the first or second time, $500.. $700 does not really matter. Get someone else to do it or do it yourself. Your call, of course.

All good points. I guess I assumed you purchased from the programmer. Another would be if you bought the gear from him as well?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Is there already an IR system and/or network for the programmer to tap into? To add this would be an additional charge to the programming.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I'm working on a very custom job right now for a client that includes remote control of a Mac Mini as the media centre and Sling Box software for TV. With all that complexity my fee is going to be about a thousand dollars, but that's certainly an exception and includes the physical installation of the system.

Normally, I'm asking $200 base fee plus $50 per "standard" device (typical name-brand AV equipment).

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the remote from him 2 years ago. The devices are a Panasonic projector, a Denon AVP processor that does it's own video and audio switching, a Lumagen Radiance with one input and output and a Sony BD500 blu-ray player. I need macros to watch cable and watch DVD's. The IR system is already in place. I rerally don't wan't to do it myself. I can afford $700. It's the thought of paying too much.

David

·
Registered
190 Posts
sounds like an easy programming job to me, if he's experienced with your remote and he probably is since he sold it to you, then it probably won't take more than an hr or two. Based on that, either he's got some crazy badass program he's charging a premium for, or he's trying to take you for 400-500 more than he should.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

David

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I disagree. You cannot penalize a dealer for being good at programming. Just because I can do in 1-2 hours what others take 4-6 is not my fault. It also depends on the quality of his design.

Frankly, a Denon Processor and Radiance plus Projector will result in some Troubleshooting of the timings and it will be more than just writing out the programming. He probably looked at the cost of your devices and passes on discounting it.

The buyers always underestimate how much time goes into making these perform just right. Ever seen someone sit there with a Harmony for 30 seconds aimed at the screen. Frankly, you have little to base your guess on how long and difficult it will be, but in the end it is your money and you have done business with them before. Maybe he is jerking b/c you only bought the remote for him. The pricing is NOT out of line and some guys charge more.

You are the best judge of the quality of his install, b/c you have worked with him before.

If it's too much. Tell him it's too much.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555 /forum/post/14389834

I disagree. You cannot penalize a dealer for being good at programming. Just because I can do in 1-2 hours what others take 4-6 is not my fault. It also depends on the quality of his design.

Frankly, a Denon Processor and Radiance plus Projector will result in some Troubleshooting of the timings and it will be more than just writing out the programming. He probably looked at the cost of your devices and passes on discounting it.

Seriously? The Radiance is a one in/one out. With a Panasonic projector, a single Blu Ray and a Denon AVP? $700 sounds reasonable. I've done automation for years, and program these on the side for a friend. I gotta believe that the OP is being penalized for living in a high-end area around Chicago. If it was $400-$500 you might say that its in the realm of reasonable and go ahead. $700 is absurd.

I don't think I've ever charged that much, even for a mulitisystem automation with 232 control.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myerss /forum/post/14390156

Seriously? The Radiance is a one in/one out. With a Panasonic projector, a single Blu Ray and a Denon AVP? $700 sounds reasonable. I've done automation for years, and program these on the side for a friend. I gotta believe that the OP is being penalized for living in a high-end area around Chicago. If it was $400-$500 you might say that its in the realm of reasonable and go ahead. $700 is absurd.

I don't think I've ever charged that much, even for a mulitisystem automation with 232 control.

Maybe for you. I always end up having to do some rewiring and resetting up of each piece of equipment.

A) We were a Lumagen dealer - none of this in/out crap

B) Panasonic Projectors are notorious for HDMI switching issues, especially pre1.3

C)

Forget it, Just buy a Harmony. Some lessons are better learned the hard way. Then afterwards make sure you blame the installer/dealer.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555 /forum/post/14396908

Maybe for you. I always end up having to do some rewiring and resetting up of each piece of equipment.

A) We were a Lumagen dealer - none of this in/out crap

B) Panasonic Projectors are notorious for HDMI switching issues, especially pre1.3

C)

Forget it, Just buy a Harmony. Some lessons are better learned the hard way. Then afterwards make sure you blame the installer/dealer.

Now we can agree. I usually end up spending an hour or two onsite tweaking the file and rewiring, resetting things to make it work. I guess its different when we sold (at least some) of the gear we're integrating. I still wouldn't recommend a harmony to anyone, but at least then you can't blame anyone else.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried an early harmony and it never played well with the equipment I had at the time, notably a Theta Casabalnca. The Panasonic did have problems with the HDMI connectivity to the Denon, but an update and a new cable solved that. I guess I'll go back to the dealer, much as it pains me.

David

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro /forum/post/14398645

I tried an early harmony and it never played well with the equipment I had at the time, notably a Theta Casabalnca. The Panasonic did have problems with the HDMI connectivity to the Denon, but an update and a new cable solved that. I guess I'll go back to the dealer, much as it pains me.

David

You can always negotiate. Tell him that $700 seems high and see if he'll come down. Can't hurt. Another option is try the link below, might work.

http://www.onlyoneremote.com/fees.html

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. Much appreciated.

David

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdnyfish /forum/post/14395910

Buy a Harmony 1000 and you can program it yourself in 20 minutes

Pronto 9600 vs. Harmony 1000?

It's like Midget AAA vs. Peewee

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I just had to swap out a Harmony 1000 for a 9600 for a client of mine. It's my first 9600 install and it won't be my last! That thing is awesome! Programming may not be as easy but overall, it really hasn't taken longer considering that every change I made - no matter how minor - would require that I disconnect and re-program both RF Extenders in the system (one was in the ceiling).

The 9600 really is in a class by itself. It has Crestron-like capability with a consumer-friendly design, all at a price only slightly higher than high-end consumer-class remotes like the Harmony. I'm amazed that it hasn't found it's way into more corporate conference rooms.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts