AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned a front projector before, so I don't really know what to look for. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have some money I have to spend this month but it has to be this month. I can put it towards a RS1 or something else (like a computer or A/V receiver for instance). No matter what I buy, computer, projector, A/V receiver, there will always be something better coming out later, but there are things worth waiting for and things that aren't.

In terms of the RS1, it seems like a winner. I just want to know, are there any reasons why I should wait for some other 1080p projector to come out and put the money towards something else?

I can think of one thing I don't like about he RS1 - no motorised zoom. I think this would bother me a bit, but hopefully it won't be a big deal.

I've heard that the 120Hz support isn't there, but that doesn't sound like a big deal.

Also, I heard that the anamorphic (CIH) lens support wasn't there either, but I also heard that wasn't a big deal.

Of course, the RS1 doesn't have HDMI 1.3 support, but once again, I've heard that 1.3 isn't worth waiting for either.

Is there any feature missing that could piss me off about the RS1 a year or two from now that would make me wish I waited? I have the patience to wait, even for a few years, but if there are really no dealbreakers with the RS1, maybe that's the best way I could spend my dollars (that I have to spend this month).

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
As long as youre into HT something will always come out newer and greater than what you own. Get it while its good guy, the RS1/HD1 should hold you tight for the next 3 or 4 years easy.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Among the 1080p projectors available there is a clear consensus among Reviewers and members of this Forum that the RS1 is the best projector. (I should caveat that, as Gen. Haig said, by saying there are those who prefer the $10k Sharp and $20k Marantz, or believe the price difference between the proj. they own and the RS-1 is not warranted).

Your problem is one of time. You said you have to buy this month. New projectors will be shown at CEDIA, four months away, way outside your time frame.

I am waiting till CEDIA to buy a 1080p proj. But if I were buying now, I would get the RS-1 without hesitation

·
Registered
363 Posts
I own an RS1. It's a great projector. As with anything electronic, there is always something better/improved and usually less expensive coming down the pike. Buy now, enjoy now.

You may have a problem getting an RS1 quickly though, should you decide on one.

·
Registered
24,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead /forum/post/0

Among the 1080p projectors available there is a clear consensus among Reviewers and members of this Forum that the RS1 is the best projector. (I should caveat that, as Gen. Haig said, by saying there are those who prefer the $10k Sharp and $20k Marantz, or believe the price difference between the proj. they own and the RS-1 is not warranted).

Your problem is one of time. You said you have to buy this month. New projectors will be shown at CEDIA, four months away, way outside your time frame.

I am waiting till CEDIA to buy a 1080p proj. But if I were buying now, I would get the RS-1 without hesitation

Couldn't have been said better so I'll just quote you !

Art

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to spend the money this month but it doesn't have to be on a projector.

I can wait for a projector, but there are things worth waiting for and things that are not.

Lack of motorised Zoom - This bothers me, but it just means I have to get off my butt. So it's fixable.

No HDMI 1.3 - From reading this forum, I get the impression that it's not a big deal.

No vertical stretch - Fixable, with expensive additional equipment, and that's only if I want a CIH, which I haven't made up my mind about.

No 120Hz support - Like HDMI 1.3, I get the impression that it's not a big deal.

So, it sounds to me like there's nothing on the foreseeable horizon worth waiting for. I just want other opinions before I drop big money on this. Of course, my other options instead of a RS1 (computer, etc) are not future proof either, so I am just researching, trying to make the wisest purchase now in June 2007. So far, it's looking like I should get a projector, and the RS1 is the one to get.

·
Banned
12 Posts
There will be something wrong with the next hot projector, and the next one, and the next becuase not one projector will ever be perfect. You will wait forever. But if you want to enjoy a fantastic picture now, and have the funds for the RS-1, buy it, watch some movies and ENJOY!

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Im in the same boat as the OP and 5K to me is alot of mula!!! Ive been burned by a receiver that couldnt apply IIX processing on a 5.1 PCM source, so Im a little hesitant in this new age of HD-DVD and BD.

Is everyone in agreement that...

A)No HDMI 1.3

B)No 120Hz support

is no big deal?????????????

·
Registered
102 Posts
Motorized zoom & focus is also no big deal imho. With my setup (and I'm guessing most others) motorized zoom & focus would be useful for at most 20 minutes during the life of the projector; once I set it up to fit my screen & adjusted the focus, things haven't changed much. Focus seems to hold well. Maybe if you're doing a "poor man's CIH" or some other exotic function it could be more important to you...

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
Will you need the motorized zoom? If the pj and screen will be in a fixed position, then once zoomed you shouldn't need to move it again (fit and forget).

Gary

·
Registered
560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus1099 /forum/post/0

Im in the same boat as the OP and 5K to me is alot of mula!!! Ive been burned by a receiver that couldnt apply IIX processing on a 5.1 PCM source, so Im a little hesitant in this new age of HD-DVD and BD.

Is everyone in agreement that...

A)No HDMI 1.3

B)No 120Hz support

is no big deal?????????????

No! Those are big deals, just not yet.

Not having HDMI 1.3 is not going to be a negative until we see content with deep color. Maybe 2-3 years.

120HZ can help, but unless you've seen it side by side with a slower display, you really do not know what you're missing. Ignorance is bliss. in 2-3 years 120HZ will be the norm, and then you'll get the upgrade bug. Isn't this fun?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I agree with all pf the above posts. About waiting for CEDIA, even if there are "better" (however you chose define that) PJ's displayed at CEDIA, it is normally a minimum of 3-6 months before they are actually available. As for HDMI 1.3, plan on waiting awhile to see any real functionality from this version. You'll need more than just the display working 1.3 to see the improvements this version is supposed to bring us.

Jim

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
2nd what JlgLaw said...

Remember: The JVC RS1 was shown at last years CEDIA and didn't start shipping until late March, early april of this year - and its still in short supply - some don't even have their units yet.

Just because CEDIA and new announcements are around the corner doesn't mean that these units will be in the wild anytime soon.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Don't wait. The RS1 iron is hot and this is the peak of its perceived superiority (perhaps more important emotionally than actual superiority). I'd say, if you can get one, you'll love it, you'll feel like you made the right choice, and (as long as you never visit this forum again after about August) you'll never second guess the decision.

I was ready to buy last November and waited for the RS1. Having seen both the Pearl (which is where I was headed) and the RS1, I'm extremely pleased that I waited. But I waited based on eye witness accounts of experienced forum members who were attesting to the RS1's virtues. My installer had also seen one and told me it was terrific at the price point and compared well to things he sells for $12k or more.

Unless the next thing on the horizon has been seen and vouched for by people you can trust, I don't think it's worth waiting for the earth to keep turning.

·
Registered
24,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrada /forum/post/0

I have to spend the money this month but it doesn't have to be on a projector.

I can wait for a projector, but there are things worth waiting for and things that are not.

Lack of motorised Zoom - This bothers me, but it just means I have to get off my butt. So it's fixable.

No HDMI 1.3 - From reading this forum, I get the impression that it's not a big deal.

No vertical stretch - Fixable, with expensive additional equipment, and that's only if I want a CIH, which I haven't made up my mind about.

No 120Hz support - Like HDMI 1.3, I get the impression that it's not a big deal.

So, it sounds to me like there's nothing on the foreseeable horizon worth waiting for. I just want other opinions before I drop big money on this. Of course, my other options instead of a RS1 (computer, etc) are not future proof either, so I am just researching, trying to make the wisest purchase now in June 2007. So far, it's looking like I should get a projector, and the RS1 is the one to get.

I'd say everything in your post sounded very logical until the part about that there is nothing in the foreeeable future worth waiting for. If you know something about the next six months in projectors let me know.

Art

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I am also waiting for CEDIA, but if I were to buy a projector now it would definately be an RS1. It could use HDMI 1.3, which is not critical but far more than the NOTHING people perceive it to be. It also has more fan noise than some other choices, at least in HIGH lamp mode, which may be a consideration. As far as an overall choice though, I would say the RS1 is ahead of all competition at this time.

As far as 120hz support, I was under the impression that the RS1 displayed 60hz input (1080/60p, 1080/60i, 720/60p, 480/60i, 480/60p) signals at 120hz. Right now that's about all any 120hz displays do I believe.

In the future there will be more sophisticated ways of utilizing 120hz refresh rates, but right now I was under the impression the JVC RS1 did refresh at 120hz even if its just doubled 60hz.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
If something comes out in the future that will eclipse the picture quality of the RS-1 then at best it will be by a very small margin AND it will likely be much more expensive.

Sure you could add all the features we want and the best lens available but it may not even translate into a better picture. We are very limited right now by the quality of the source material. To realize even a better picture, source material will have to improve AND likely a new technology in projectors all together.

You can buy an RS-1 today and live with a wonderful picture for many years to come until the above exists. I'm not saying it wont happen, I am saying it might be a while. I'm under the firm belief projector manufacturers will have to compete on price for a few years until the next super projector emerges.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Reasons not to buy an RS1:

1) Can't afford it.

2) Can wait for the next best thing.

3) Seen it perfectly setup and didn't like it.

4) Prefer a different technology.

5) Throw/room incompatible for some reason.

6) Hates JVC with a passion

7) Too dim for application.

8) Waiting for LED/Laser driver FPs

That's all I could think of...

1 - 20 of 302 Posts