AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does eBay really care about you? Apparently not! This a-hole the FBI caught had 170 complaints filed against him and he was suppose to be one of the trusted businesses on eBay.

Have a good read and make you own dang decisions about doing one's research.

I am sure eBay loved this scammer's advertising money more than buyer's money being scammed. Yes, there are honest people one eBay, unfortunately they will also being the one's losing along the side of buyers.

I will never take back the ePray & PrayPal remarks I made several months ago. They shall stand for good reason.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I would assume that the 170 formal complaints were matched by negative feedback posts. It never ceases to amaze me that folks continue to buy from mail order or internet sellers just to save a buck when the potential for problems is so visible.

They must simply think that 170 complaints out of several thousand transactions is a pretty low %.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its worse than that. When you take a company such as this one that has had numerous FBI investigations based upon thousands of complaints, and that company in-turn buys another company with over 100K complaints about their money being held up with no resolution and hence also gets investigated (yup, PayPal), then its all there for eBay and the scammers and no one else.

·
Registered
191 Posts
There was a guy here in Michigan who was running a similar scam. He was selling some kind of collectible figurines. From what I understand, his business was very successful. Then one day he stopped shipping what he had sold and his storefront was closed. He disappeared with the money. His wife didn't even know what had happened to the guy. I don't think they've caught him yet.

Personally, I think Ebay is great, but I use a great deal of caution when making purchases. Unfortunately, there are always going to be cons trying to steal your hard earned money.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, this is really just going to get worse until one requires that the seller claiming to be a business actually accepts credit cards, which in turn offers some protection for the consumer. PayPal is just a tool to further scam people. If its not the criminals scamming people, its PayPal (hence my comments).

Really, when +100,000 people were having their money held up on a lose-lose situation so PayPal could make money on interest for quarantined moneys of this magnitude, and when that company is acquired by another company of equal questionable business practices, the end is not going to be good.

Does this mean one should never buy from the Internet? Heck no. Mr. Kwon is probably the best exception to the rule, but many respectable businesses have proven their worth. It just happens that eBay encourages scams as theyr method for making money is to get people to sell, not to buy.

I had one experience with PayPal, it was bad, took a month to resolve, and I have not doubt that it was a deliberate withholding of information on their policies that led to the situation. They, in fact, created a situation in which they benefited even more by holding funds I deposited and the seller could not gain access to.

The two companies stink. They are ruining the idea behind selling. They refuse to place into their business framework to protect, both consumers and businesses, buyers and sellers. Of course, they are not the only one's with this current condition, as many of the other auction, 4sale, etc. websites are becoming increasing prone to scammer.

Sorry for the soapbox initiative, but this is producing an unfortunate effect on those trying to honestly buy and sell.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I only ever buy on Ebay if I am willing to lose the money... I never assume anything will arrive after I send the cash.

If you can't afford to lose the money, you shouldn't buy on Ebay is what I tell people.

So far I'm doing well, about 20 good transactions and only a couple of rip offs.

- Rick

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
WanMan,

Don't make the mistake of blaming PayPal or E-Bay for the conduct of the unethical seller you mention. Remember that E-Bay has a feedback system so purchasers who feel ripped off can warn others of their dissatisfaction. In this case it seems that buyers had ample warning from negative posted comments but CHOSE to ignore it and take a chance because the price was "too good to pass up".

In over 3 years of using Audiogon and E-Bay I have learned the hard way to ask questions before making a bid or offer. I have not had a single transaction through PayPal that has caused a problem and have completely stopped taking credit cards directly. If you think PayPal policies don't give you sufficient protection you have never dealt with a Credit Card service provider, they are way worse from the sellers point of view. On the average I get my cash from PayPal a good month sooner than I would have from a CC company. A legitimate CC company can withold funds for several months anytime their people regard a transaction as "unusual", either because of the amount or anything else that fails their "smell test".

Never forget that fraud is rampant today and not the creation of eBay or PayPal or the CC companies. In my experience about half of the items I've bought were not completely as represented, not bad but not as good or as complete as promised. Only 1 purchase was returned and it was not bad but just a different model than advertised and I was being picky about a $300 putter.

Lately I am seeing more buyers renigging on transactions than ever before. I guess that with the economy in the dumps they feel that they can feel free to jump around in an attempt to save a few bucks by playing sellers off against each other.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Brinkman
WanMan,

Don't make the mistake of blaming PayPal or E-Bay for the conduct of the unethical seller you mention. Remember that E-Bay has a feedback system so purchasers who feel ripped off can warn others of their dissatisfaction. In this case it seems that buyers had ample warning from negative posted comments but CHOSE to ignore it and take a chance because the price was "too good to pass up".

In over 3 years of using Audiogon and E-Bay I have learned the hard way to ask questions before making a bid or offer. I have not had a single transaction through PayPal that has caused a problem and have completely stopped taking credit cards directly. If you think PayPal policies don't give you sufficient protection you have never dealt with a Credit Card service provider, they are way worse from the sellers point of view. On the average I get my cash from PayPal a good month sooner than I would have from a CC company.

Never forget that fraud is rampant today and not the creation of eBay or PayPal or the CC companies. In my experience about half of the items I've bought were not completely as represented, not bad but not as good or as complete as promised. But lately I am seeing more buyers renigging on transactions than ever before.
Sorry, but it isn't even that easy! I was ripped off by a person that had stolen some other users good feed back. Don't ask me how, but a person was fradulently listing items and stole the feedback from another person that was an outstanding seller. This made the crook look like he had hunderds of successful sales and very happy customers. The outstanding seller had notified Ebay, but nothing was done about it. Unfortunately, I got caught up in the fraud to the tune of $450!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bone_stock
Sorry, but it isn't even that easy! I was ripped off by a person that had stolen some other users good feed back. Don't ask me how, but a person was fradulently listing items and stole the feedback from another person that was an outstanding seller.
I can't even imagine how this could be done but it must be a pretty clever fellow. Just think of what this smart a person could accomplish if they were to channel their efforts into a legitimate effort. What a shame.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
WanMan,

I'm not making that mistake, Carl. I blaming eBay and its owned PayPal for a) ignoring the situation, which is manifested in hundreds and thousands of complaints against those unethical type. Oh, and I do not blame PayPal for the unethical types, but I do classify PayPal as ONE of those unethical types.
Quote:
In over 3 years of using Audiogon and E-Bay I have learned the hard way to ask questions before making a bid or offer. I have not had a single transaction through PayPal that has caused a problem and have completely stopped taking credit cards directly. If you think PayPal policies don't give you sufficient protection you have never dealt with a Credit Card service provider, they are way worse from the sellers point of view. On the average I get my cash from PayPal a good month sooner than I would have from a CC company. A legitimate CC company can withold funds for several months anytime their people regard a transaction as "unusual", either because of the amount or anything else that fails their "smell test".
I, too, have tried to make sure the individual doing the selling was on the up&up. Recently, one Richard Simbolon decided to sell product (and continues at this very moment) as new, suggesting that he is a dealer. No problem with that, except the product is Paradigm and that manufacturer prohibits anything outside of retail sales.

So, I notice that he's in my neck of the woods. Cool! I'll just make contact and see if I can buy from his B&M, afterall he's offering something I'm interested at a good price. Not as good as if I bought from a retailer in Canada, but good dang enough to beat the remaining local competition.

Oh yeah, the Audiogon listing states he's in 30301, which is Atlanta, but my initial reply from him is that he's in SoCal. He is also using a Yahoo email address, which is appropriate as he is a Yahoo. I ask where is his store located (zipcode, to confirm he's an authorized reseller--for warranty purposes and legitimate busines), yet he wants to know where I'm located.

Ok, I tell him where I am located and that its in the same city as where he listed the product is located. He then claims that is where the product is stored, warehoused, and requests a phone to call me. Sorry, I let him know I am a bit warry and again ask for the name of his business and zipcode. Heck, my email is with an ISP in Alabama and Georgia, so I doubt I am working for Paradigm trying to track him down for illegal selling.

Also note his advetisement shows the product is available in veneers, which implies an inventory. So, I mention this to a fellow local forum member (we have our own local forum for group meets, etc.) and he makes contact with this idividual. My friend learns that he doesn't even have the product, let alone it sitting in a warehouse in my town.

So, I CC everything to Audiogon and he is still listing the product, and has been for the past month. He takes all forms of payment including Amex, Disc, VISA, MC, etc. Looks on the up&up, right? You be the judge. I was too shy to trust this individual. He has stopped communicating with me.

But, as long as he pays his Audiogon listing fees his biz stays in place. I don't care if he is a real business, I just wanted to drive to the place where the product was stored and not fork over the $50 shipping. I guess I scared him too badly with all my personal concerns. So, my alternative is to pay FULL list price as Evolution HT doesn't stock the Servo-15 (they are licensed 'digm and 'digm Ref dealer) and will only order it for a list-only sale.
Quote:
Never forget that fraud is rampant today and not the creation of eBay or PayPal or the CC companies. In my experience about half of the items I've bought were not completely as represented, not bad but not as good or as complete as promised. Only 1 purchase was returned and it was not bad but just a different model than advertised and I was being picky about a $300 putter.
Me forget about the weakness of man? I am a pessimist because my environment, my relations, and my experiences have made me that way. The person I trust the most is my wife, and that took several years. Carl, I don;t trust you, but then again I have no nead to. You seem like a good person, but ... :)
Quote:
Lately I am seeing more buyers renigging on transactions than ever before. I guess that with the economy in the dumps they feel that they can feel free to jump around in an attempt to save a few bucks by playing sellers off against each other.
Well, let me break that mold for you. I have never renig on a deal. If I have a problem with something I've bought, I've always tried to compromise and find a mutual solution--provided the seller didn't take advantage of me. For instance, I'm presently seeking an RA on my Elite 45TX through the HT shop. They already had the RA paperwork setup from a previous suspicion. Its just a matter of moving forward or not. No cost to the shop. I've spent $5K in the past 2 months with them.

Unfortunately, I think they've changed their minds and will force me into a 1-2 months warranty service through a Pioneer authorized repair facility that tells me it'll be 3-4 week minimal expected turn-around. Match this with the other 'Pioneer nightmare' service and you can see why I'd love to RA the unit. BTW, this is also the shop that wants full list price on the subwoofer I wanted to buy (I've already heard it at a friend's home).

Hmm, I guess no one said this hobby was going to be easy.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
I can't even imagine how this could be done but it must be a pretty clever fellow. Just think of what this smart a person could accomplish if they were to channel their efforts into a legitimate effort. What a shame.
So true, So true! I was completely stunned that I was robbed from someone that had such outstanding Ebay feedback. However, as mentioned above my own investigation revealed that the true owner of the outstanding feedback didn't rob me. It was somone else that had hijacked the feedback for himself. When I finally got in touch with the true owner of the feedback he told me his Ebay account had been totally screwed up by the thief/criminal. I think like you in that the people that are smart enough to write viruses and perpitrate crimes like the above could easily make an honest $250k a year if they wanted to work.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have had no problems so far with eBay and PayPal, both buying and selling. I and everybody else must keep in mind that eBay purchases must still be regarded as "sight unseen".

EBay sellers get ripped off by credit card issues as well as buyers. Some sellers are willing to cut down on their audience of potential buyers by not allowing credit card transactions and save the hassles of chargebacks.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

·
Registered
27,141 Posts
Well E-bay has produced 2 Rane THX 44 parametric EQs, a Rane PE-17 sub EQ, Some Middle Atlantic rack shelving, and a DTS,DD,THX trailer DVD all for nice prices over the last 2 months!!!

AVS classifieds have netted me a Smart Devices EX decoder this week!

JEff

·
Registered
468 Posts
Over 50 eBay transactions, and never been ripped off. I do NOT use paypal, my opinion of paypal is, well let's just say low.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.