AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, if you make over $150k (household) or you're North of the border you're probably not excited. Anyone else planning on buying HT gear to STIMULATE the economy and do your part as an American?

Maybe a new BR player, game system or popcorn popper? Are you going to spend your spouse's check too (if you have one of course)?

·
Registered
632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ /forum/post/12919219

Okay, if you make over $150k (household) you're probably not excited. Anyone else planning on buying HT gear to STIMULATE the economy and do your part as an American?

Maybe a new BR player, game system or popcorn popper? Are you going to spend your spouse's check too (if you have one of course)?

Does buying weed count towards the economy?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I buying nice shinny gold. That way I will have something to trade with after the economy completely collapses when I emerge from my bunker after the first few waves of post-apocalypse gangs pass by.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
If things turned out as planned we should neither get a return, nor owe. I try to funnel the theater funds we would have gotten in a return (assuming no major tax code or income change) by tinkering with the payroll (W-4) deductions. Since Uncle Sam doesn't pay me any interest when he been borrowing my money, no reason to give him too much to begin with.

However, if I miscalculated and we still end up with a return, I would be hard press to get WAF so to spend it on the theater. Not complaining though; I know I've already gotten to play with more than my share of the household fun money.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/12919394

If things turned out as planned we should neither get a return, nor owe. I try to funnel the theater funds we would have gotten in a return (assuming no major tax code or income change) by tinkering with the payroll (W-4) deductions. Since Uncle Sam doesn't pay me any interest when he been borrowing my money, no reason to give him too much to begin with.

However, if I miscalculated and we still end up with a return, I would be hard press to get WAF so to spend it on the theater. Not complaining though; I know I've already gotten to play with more than my share of the household fun money.

Depending on how much you make and how many kids you have, you will get a check this year....economic stimulus plan. They just announced an agreed plan.....

I do the same with my deductions though....claim enough to attempt to break even.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Glad to know it passed. Last I heard the cap for rebates was around 75k per person (150k per couple). At least in DC, my guess is that if you can afford the home in which to build a theater, you will also be earning too much to get a rebate.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I was already planning on a 50" plasma in April; now I'll add a PS3 and possibly speaker upgrades. Btw-this is the first I'm hearing about this.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/12919968

Glad to know it passed. Last I heard the cap for rebates was around 75k per person (150k per couple). At least in DC, my guess is that if you can afford the home in which to build a theater, you will also be earning too much to get a rebate.

Those were the reported caps for full benefit, higher caps for partial benefit and even higher if you have kids. Exact numbers for the cap with kids weren't published, at least on the story I saw. I didn't do a lot of digging.

EDIT:

Reported numbers if you are under the caps are:

$600 single

$1200 family

Plus $300 for each kid

Paid in June....

·
Registered
632 Posts
Well wadya know! The press reports a looming recession and the politicains respond with rebate checks. Sure as shootin' just like Nasa finding evidence of life on other planets just before their budget is determined.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Realistically - catching up on bills

If I'm lucky - Blu Ray

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
My wife.. Who does look at me funny often with my spending habbits...

She overdrew her checking account the other day... So I will at least use that as leverage so she doesn't spend it.

I dunno, I have a 6'x6'x6' pour of concrete I need to have done. I suppose that's as good as anything else to use it for.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Boo, I have no kids. That really is unfair, it should just be for people who actually pay taxes and it should be a percentage of the tax you paid hence the name tax rebate (we are going to refund some of the money we gouged you for). I hate giving money to people who didn't earn it. For those who don't pay taxes your welcome on the tax gift, but you're probably not reading this anyway.

As for what I'm going to spend it on all depends on the wife. She probably will want to buy clothes or shoes or something non home theater. She thinks we already have enough toys as she calls them. Plus 600 bucks will only be a down payment on anything I would want. 52" 1080P LCD does not = 1200.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/12920172

Is this for every taxpaying american or are there other stipulations?

Ha, you can actually pay no taxes your income is so low and still get a "Tax Rebate" check from good old Uncle Sam.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects /forum/post/12919357

I buying nice shinny gold. That way I will have something to trade with after the economy completely collapses when I emerge from my bunker after the first few waves of post-apocalypse gangs pass by.

This sounds like the best idea. When the economy collapses (tax rebate doesn't help) and the US Dollar is about worthless,(almost there now) electronics will be able to be bought with a song.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Is the $150K net or gross???

1 - 20 of 61 Posts