AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebel Drama From Grey's Boss, Starring Katey Sagal, Gets Series Order at ABC
By Vlada Gelman

ABC is feeling very rebellious: The Alphabet network has given a straight-to-series order to Rebel, a new drama starring Katey Sagal (The Conners) and written by Grey’s Anatomy showrunner Krista Vernoff.

The series, inspired by the life of Erin Brockovich today, follows Annie “Rebel” Bello (Sagal), a blue-collar legal advocate without a law degree. “She’s a funny, messy, brilliant and fearless woman who cares desperately about the causes she fights for and the people she loves,” per the official synopsis. “When Rebel applies herself to a fight she believes in, she will win at almost any cost.”

The cast also includes John Corbett (Sex and the City), Andy Garcia (Ballers), James Lesure (Las Vegas), Tamala Jones (Castle), Sam Palladio (Nashville), Kevin Zegers (Fear the Walking Dead, Gracepoint), Lex Scott Davis (The First Purge) and Ariela Barer (Runaways).

“The work that Erin Brockovich does in this world is so powerful and so important that it almost defies description,” Vernoff said in a statement. “Erin works tirelessly for social, legal and environmental justice despite the lack of a formal degree. She inspires everyone she meets to become their own heroes, and somehow, she also keeps us laughing. It has been a tremendous honor to get to know Erin and to create a show inspired by her. I am thrilled to be working with a dream cast led by the extraordinary Katey Sagal with the incredible Tara Nicole Weyr directing.”

Rebel is slated to premiere on ABC in 2021.

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Abigail Spencer Joins ABC Drama Series ‘Rebel’ As Recurring
By Denise Petski

Abigail Spencer (Reprisal, Timeless) is set for a recurring role on Rebel, ABC’s new drama series starring Katey Sagal.

Created by Krista Vernoff inspired by the life of Erin Brockovich today, Rebel centers on Annie “Rebel” Bello (Sagal), a blue-collar legal advocate without a law degree. She’s a funny, messy, brilliant and fearless woman who cares desperately about the causes she fights for and the people she loves. When Rebel applies herself to a fight she believes in, she will win at almost any cost.

Spencer will play Misha, a brilliant cardiothoracic surgeon who has a painful romantic history with Nate (Keven Zegers) but can’t resist getting involved with studying the Stonemore heart valve for fear that she may have inadvertently harmed hundreds of patients. Spencer joins previously announced recurring stars Mary McDonnell, Dan Bucatinsky, Adam Arkin, MoMcRae and Daniella Garcia, among others.

The series hails from Davis Entertainment, Sony Pictures TV and ABC Signature.

Rebel marks Spencer’s sixth project with Vernoff in a creative partnership that has spanned 15 years.

Spencer’s credits include lead roles on Hulu’s Reprisal, NBC’s Timeless and Sundance TV’s Rectify, as well key recurring roles on Grey’s Anatomy, Suits and True Detective, among others. Her and Duke Johnson’s Innerlight Films banner has produced award-winning shorts Here and Now and the Oscar short-listed Winter Light. The company also is behind The Actor, a film adaptation based on Donald E. Westlake’s novel Memory, with Ryan Gosling set to star. Spencer is repped by UTA and Untitled Entertainment.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
If Abigail is in it, I'm interested.....

Reactions: WilliamR

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
27,716 Posts
I like Sagal but this looks quite awful.

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ABC’s ‘Rebel’ Trailer Racks Up More Than 27 Million Views

By Daniel Holloway

ABC’s new Krista Vernoff drama “Rebel” is generating a lot of buzz.

According to numbers provided by the network, the trailer for the new show has been viewed more than 27 million times across multiple video and social media channels. That puts the “Rebel” promo well ahead of the network’s most watched trailers from the pre-pandemic era. The three most watched broadcast trailers out of ABC’s 2019 upfronts were “Stumptown” (16.1 million views in its first week), “Emergence” (15.7 million views) and “Mixed-ish” (14.6 million views) across social media platforms in their first week.

Within its first six days online, the “Rebel” trailer has been viewed 27.1 million times. Here’s how that breaks down across social media channels:

Facebook: 7,558,987
Instagram: 2,064,126
Twitter: 12,439,854
YouTube: 5,118,314

Inspired by Erin Brockovich, “Rebel” stars Katey Sagal as Annie “Rebel” Bello, a blue-collar legal advocate without a law degree. She’s a funny, messy, brilliant and fearless woman who cares desperately about the causes she fights for and the people she loves. When Rebel applies herself to a fight she believes in, she will win at almost any cost.

“Rebel” is executive produced by Krista Vernoff and Alexandre Schmitt of Trip the Light, Erin Brockovich, John Davis and John Fox of Davis Entertainment, Andrew Stearn, Marc Webb and Adam Arkin. The series is produced by ABC Signature in association with Sony Pictures Television.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts

·
Registered
17,555 Posts
Good God, there is no way I'm going to watch this.

Just the annoying fact the overuse of the name "Rebel" completely turns me off, the rest is just confirmation that this would hurt my eyes, ears and brain and perhaps cause other vital organ damage.

BTW "Rebel", rule number 1 of nicknames is you don't get to pick your own nickname.

"Most folks just call me 'Rebel'."

Yeah, lady, I won't be doing that....

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
‘Rebel’ Is an ABC Drama That Could Use More Rule-Breaking: TV Review

By Daniel D'Addario

Erin Brockovich’s personal story is elementally compelling: That’s why the movie about her works so well. As played by Julia Roberts in 2000’s “Erin Brockovich,” she is a crusader in the legal arena, an advocate who’s less self-taught than simply intuitive. She’s opposed to the establishment on both sides of the courtroom, and her wins don’t come from a sort of legal doublespeak but from her humanity.

This is a tricky balance to strike onscreen. The first two episodes of “Rebel,” a new ABC drama inspired by Brockovich’s work, don’t quite get there. Katey Sagal plays Annie “Rebel” Bello, who works to assist and aid those who have fallen victim to corporate greed. Notably, in the show’s early going, this includes a medical company whose faulty heart valves, we are told, have ruined the health and lives of those unlucky enough to have them implanted.

The show, from its premise, sets itself up as a story of the people taking on the powerful, but tends to trip up over the most basic elaborations of its main idea. “I have nothing against corporations, corporations can do a lot of good,” Rebel tells a TV host in the first episode, referencing her pride in corporate America having produced the COVID-19 vaccine. “I’m a proud American, Marta, I say everyone should earn their living — just, you know, don’t poison people while you do it.”

This invocation of what may be the most impressive and dazzling display of scientific ingenuity of the young century to make the case that corporations are not all bad feels random, the product of a desire to avoid alienating anyone at all. This impulse crops up again in the series’ second episode, in which a potentially knotty storyline about accusations of racism and assault becomes, in the end, about the “everybody-gets-a-trophy” ethos around young people today — an easy target, and one that doesn’t require the series to have much on its mind after all. Trying to please everyone is a tricky line to walk when you’re making a show about a person whose life’s calling is fighting the establishment.

Sagal, a performer of charm and seemingly inborn relatability, does her best with the role, though Rebel tends to skitter all over the map. The show gives her a backstory and a set of traits — generous to a fault, somewhat careless in love, obsessively protective of those to whom she’s loyal — that don’t consistently jibe with Sagal’s laid-back persona, or with Rebel’s hazy relationship with her work. We see that Rebel’s career is her life but are left after two episodes unclear of what exactly she sees as her remit, beyond all-purpose fixing. (The show also suggests that Rebel’s personality informs her work, but we don’t see much evidence of that beyond that the work is demanding and Rebel is indefatigable.) As if to give her a hand in explaining herself, the show constructs big opponents: A corporation so bad, for instance, that even those who are “proud Americans” can oppose it, or a husband who is self-evidently a louse. Complaining about Rebel’s passion for her work, this dullard shouts, “You care more about getting on the news than about getting home to cook me dinner!” Of course he is played by John Corbett, the “Sex and the City” actor as closely identified with standing in the way of a woman’s pursuit of knowing herself as any other. And of course his opposition to Rebel’s work overrides our lack of understanding of what, exactly, her work really is.

Aspects of “Rebel” suggest promise: The war between Rebel and a corporate-law shark ex (James Lesure) over their daughter (Lex Scott Davis) may yet break into a conversation about what Rebel’s work really is, and what it means to her beyond truisms. Describing the virtue of the work her shark father does, Rebel’s daughter (Lex Scott Davis) declares: “Everyone’s entitled to a zealous representation […] it’s the constitutional premise of our entire justice system.” This is a striking overstatement of the morality and necessity of the role corporate defense attorneys have to play, and suggests that Rebel’s daughter may indeed not be much of a rebel at all.

If anyone is equipped to bring debates about a complicated workplace to human scale for network TV, it’s showrunner Krista Vernoff, entrusted in recent years with “Grey’s Anatomy,” the current standard-bearer for workplace dramas. All the pieces are there to get “Rebel” to a place of real interest — genuinely appealing issues, the inherent conflict of the legal profession, a complicated protagonist and a showrunner who knows a bit about writing such women. The show simply needs to do better at getting out of its own way, and to exhibit less risk aversion and more of a rebel heart.

“Rebel” debuts on ABC April 8 at 10 p.m.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Good God, there is no way I'm going to watch this.

Just the annoying fact the overuse of the name "Rebel" completely turns me off, the rest is just confirmation that this would hurt my eyes, ears and brain and perhaps cause other vital organ damage.

BTW "Rebel", rule number 1 of nicknames is you don't get to pick your own nickname.

"Most folks just call me 'Rebel'."

Yeah, lady, I won't be doing that....
I have to agree. First time I saw the ads, I couldn't help but think how the cheese factor was off the charts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts