AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 5040 for a little over a month now and love it. The only sizable problem I seem to have that happens at least once a week I would say is the following:

Seems to be after the reboot that has been said to happen every week or 2 weeks I believe. I loose the network connection. I have to go back into setup and go and configure ip address. My old ip and what not is in there and all ok. I say save and go through the whole save process. Then networking works again. I believe this is what people call the dhcp bug but not sure. Are others experiencing this and if so, any time-frame on getting it fixed sonic blue???

Thanks

James

·
Registered
283 Posts
Me too, also a 5040. Also happens after a hard reboot (hold power switch for ~10 sec) or a power interruption. Don't know that the first time was a scheduled reboot or not. Can't say for sure that I've seen that happen. Will have to check further. All you have to do I've found is change the first octet (192 perhaps) back to 192 and continue from there. May not even have to change that; just cal up the screen and scroll down (or up then left) to continue...

-Joe

·
Registered
915 Posts
Is the IP specified or does this happen with dhcp?

If using DHCP, are you saying when you go into setup, and highlight change network, the IP info is missing?

If using specified, and you go to edit your manual settings, is it blank? Or, is the same info there but you have no connectivity? PM the info to me please as well as in the channel.

Lyndon

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm using static IP's with no DHCP server enabled on my network. When it happens, the setup screen still shows the previously assigned static IP, but the 5040 is no longer pingable. I highlight "192" and "change" it to "192" and

hit continue? (not in front of unit now) and the 5040 re-verifies the network and is pingable from that point on till it happens again.

I had this happen during my registration phase, and opened a call with tech support. I found the above workaround while on the phone with the tech, and advised himh (he wasn't real strong on network issues, at one point suggesting I set my gateway to my external ISP assigned IP address) to pass the info on to his group. His supervisor asked if I had a Linux box that I could monitor the 5040 with to nail down the time of day it failed. I do, but just have not had time to script it yet. For me, other than that first time, it's only happened when I had to power cycle the unit because it was hung in a loop while decoding, as far as I can recall. I now go into setup and "toggle" the first octet without even thinking about it if I have to bounce it :(

-Joe

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
joef_rgb

I think my units are from the exact same batch as yours. I have

your muted red from rf tuner problem as well as the loss of

network issue.

Regarding loss of network, every once in a while it'll just happen.

It definitely happened after registration. I recall after first OS

upgrade I started reading the pdf manual waiting for the upgrade

to complete. After the automatic reboot at the end of upgrade,

I tried 243-zones net-connect and the unit indicated a network

problem. It turned out I couldn't ping the unit. The network

connected lights on the rj45 port were lit as was the light on

my switch. Reboot fixed the problem.

I've had this happen on 3 out of 4 replay 5040s right after

registration and my current 2 5040s (which I didn't return)

exhibit the problem occasionally.

I haven't found the energy to pin down the exact cause. It seems

to happen more often when I do a soft reset (holding down power

key for multiple seconds) At times my 2 replay 5040s lose ability to

see each other. If I do the pull the plug reset method, everything

works again.

I have a linux box running as my gateway and all my http requests

go through squid proxy cache (via transparent proxy) so I can produce

any network data needed (via tcpdump and squid proxy log), but I

don't think losing network connectivity has anything to do with

downloading from replay site so I don't think that would be much help.

If someone wants I can run Ping Plotter to isolate what time it happens

but it doesn't seem to happen the same time.

I'm using static IP on both 5040s. IP address is still there when

network hangs.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My old linux box I used as my firewall (on a 66MHz 486 no less) died so I'm running on a D-Link firewall/switch. I have a dual booted Wintel box, and I was just going to script up an fping job with an E-Mail notify when either of the 5040's drop off the net. Just hate leaving the box on 24/7 to troubleshoot the 5040. It can be duplicated easily by just doing a soft reboot. At least on my 2 units.

Now, maybe if the system didn't lock up when decoding a HQ recording, I wouldn't have this problem ;)

BTW, I might have additional info after this weekend on the low red/tuner issue. What I'd _really_ like to do is open it up and start 'scoping around to try and solve it, but then that would void the warranty, wouldn't it :)

Last resort, if it gets bad enough, I can always go thru a set top box (Hey! I have all these VCR's hanging around now doing nothing!) but can't quite bring myself to that. Yet.

-Joe

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Sometimes my units will stop seeing each other. I thought

at first this was a consequence of the units losing network

connectivity. Today it happened again and I found I could

ping both units though only one unit could see the other

and not vice versa.

What ends up happening is unit #1 can see unit #2 (and

play shows) but unit #2 cannot see unit #1 at all.

In this situation, I noticed if I open a connection to port 80

using unit #1's IP address it hangs with no response while

unit #2 will give me HTTP error 404 (file not found) Once I

reboot the unit they both respond to port 80 connections

and they can see each other again.

It seems sometimes my units will still respond to pings but

some higher level services are disabled (or not responding)

and this is a separate problem from the complete loss of

network connectivity.

Has something like this happened with your units?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sure has! Annoying, isn't it? I've found that going into setup->ReplayTVName and changing the name to something other than the office or living room that I have currently set will wake it back up. No doubt restarting the service and broadcasting its new ID? Who knows. Hate not being able to hack the OS. Sure wish it were Linux based.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In my first week with a new 5040, the unit reboot twice at the time the unit is overloaded. SB always has quality problem. My Rio MP3 player lost its backlight LCD after 6 months. Also the support from SB website is aweful. Any way, I still like CA on 5040. If there is other solid DVR, SB wouldn't be my first choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.