AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect I have figured out the cause of the mysterious Replay reboot problem. Last night I upgraded my second Replay unit with a larger hard drive. (Never upgrade hardware after 11:30 PM)

When I reassembled the unit, I neglected to connect the IDE cable or the power. I then made all the connections and the unit powered up normally. I quickly noticed that I had the mysterious reboot problem.

After disassembling everything again, I noticed that my cables were not connected. I then retested and found that all was now well.

After some further testing it appears that the unit boots up and activates various ports. It seems to activate the network as well. It then tries to access the hard drive. If it can not access the hard drive, it reboots the box (probably in an attempt to fix the issue).

This leads me wonder how many of these failures are either due to lose cables OR dead hard drives.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
You might want to rename your subject from "Rebooting Replays solved?"

to something more appropriate as it seems you've given one possible

cause, but not a solution, unless you're suggesting everyone with a

rebooting problem (even those who have unupgraded machines) break

their seal an try pushing the cables to make sure they are snug? :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was the reason for the question mark!

And no, I am not suggesting folks void their warrenty without seriously considering what they are doing. I am however glad to know that the box is actually pretty simple in design and holds promise of upgrade space.

Yes, I voided my warrenty but I did so with my eyes open. I have yet to find any computer based warrenty that was worth the paper it is sometimes written upon. Most PC manufactures for example do not honor their warrenties UNLESS the PC is exactly in the shape it left their facility. If you add a second hard drive, swap out a video card, you void your warrenty.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Whoa, whoa, that was just some humor that I think you took the

wrong way.

When I read your subject I immediately thought you had the

solution to all the people who've had a 5xxx that worked for

weeks and then all of a sudden came back from work and found

the machine in infinite reboot mode.

I thought the ? mark meant you had a good idea this was

the cause and you just wanted some confirmation. I guess

there was just a small amount of letdown because it's a good

bet this isn't the cause of the problem for people who have

had the working units enter reboot mode on their own without

any modifying of the units.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Humor accepted!

However this does explain the problems folks are getting. If the hard drive FAILS this is precisely what would occur.

I.E., the spindle servo motor fails, the head seeking arm freezes. The infamous HEAD SLAP occurs. Drives that fail for motor/servo issues occur ALL the time. I work in a PC manufacturing facility and these type of failures are common when new drives are adopted. While I am sure drive manufacturers actually have quality control parameters, one sometime wonders. We have switched suppliers many times when we notice spikes in these type of failures.

If one were to listen very carefully they should hear normal operations of their hard drive. If they hear clicking noises that is likely the sound of a bad head seek. If they hear nothing, the drives motor is shot. This can actually be done without removing the cover.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Also don't forget the mysterious, "it didn't work but now works fine" syndrome that all hard drive do occassionally.

I mean, my computer hard drive was just not recognised this morning, and rebooting did nothing to help.

Waiting 5 minutes and then trying again, all worked fine.

I have several home computers and this is common to me. Hard drives sometimes just don't boot up right, but work great 99% of the time otherwise and no error codes are given or any noises or any symptoms again for maybe years.

So maybe that would explain the occassional reboots of Replay when that happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.