AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Bose acoustimass 10 series ii module from '98 that I bought at a garage sale for $10. The problem is it's meant to serve as a subwoofer but uses power from all 5 channel inputs for three 5.25" woofers inside and has no controls; just 5 inputs and 5 outputs.

I have not been able to use it because of the wiring scheme, and from what I've heard, it's an overall poor system as is. I'd like to extract the woofers and use my own box to encase them, I'm just not sure about the wiring though. Will I need capacitors, inductors and such, or will bare wires be fine? The inputs/outputs are connected to a board that has all of that, but I'm not sure if it could be modified, or even used for my goal. Help is appreciated.

http://i.testfreaks.co.uk/images/pro...-5.3106462.jpg

That's pretty much what I have, except I believe there's a third woofer in the front somewhere.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
If you want to build your own sub then I would suggest leaving any of the Bose equipment out of the equation. You would be better off to use one good known driver of 10in, 12in, or 15in in diameter with a good plate amp. The Bose drivers will not be able to compete with a build like this. Have a look at the DIY forum for ideas. Also have a look at Parts Express for ideas and parts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I just read in a similar forum that it's not a subwoofer at all, and really just a glorified sound box. I'd still like to build something usable with the woofers though, just for practice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.