AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So I lost most of my home theater in the divorce. Specifically, two Klipsch RF5s and an RC62, however I was able to keep my SVS PB12+.... Since then I found my old Yamaha 5.1 receiver and a pair of Kenwood KL777s that my parents kept from years ago. As I have everything now, I like the full range sound of the 2.1 setup now, but I miss the 3.1 setup I had, so now I am looking for a center channel. I'm located in the US, and have a budget of $300. I know the speakers are probably going to be near impossible to match with a new center channel but I just want clean crisp dialogue. Eventually the Kenwood's will be reverted to rears and new fronts will be purchased.

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
I'm located in the US, and have a budget of $300. I know the speakers are probably going to be near impossible to match with a new center channel but I just want clean crisp dialogue. Eventually the Kenwood's will be reverted to rears and new fronts will be purchased.

Emotiva C1+, $250 shipped

or

HTD Level 3 center, $230 shipped with free return shipping

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have heard very good things about the Elac Uni Fi uc5 center channel especially for crisp dialog, reasonably priced.Sorry you lost so much in your divorce, good luck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eventually once I'm able to replace the fronts as well, how would you compare the HTD, Emotiva and Elac series of speakers vs Klipsch? I liked the sound that my RF5s and RC62 had but over time there was definite fatigue after hours of listening or watching movies.

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
Eventually once I'm able to replace the fronts as well, how would you compare the HTD, Emotiva and Elac series of speakers vs Klipsch? I liked the sound that my RF5s and RC62 had but over time there was definite fatigue after hours of listening or watching movies.
Of those 4 brands, Emotiva in my opinion would be the clear winner if you want to be assured of not ever experiencing listening fatigue. Aside from being the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Agreed, the Emotiva C1+ appears to be a great value for a 3-way center channel with a folded ribbon tweeter. If you can stretch your budget an extra $99, the Emotiva C2+ is an absolute beast for $399.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts

The HSU HC-1 MK2 Would give you efficiency close to Klipsch without the fatigue.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hc-1.html
Ascend CMT-340 is very neutral and will provide clean & crisp dialogue.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340c/cmt340c.html

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
Agreed, the Emotiva C1+ appears to be a great value for a 3-way center channel with a folded ribbon tweeter. If you can stretch your budget an extra $99, the Emotiva C2+ is an absolute beast for $399.
It's not a ribbon. It's paper. True ribbon tweeters don't make for great home theater speakers.

Reactions: Vergiliusm

·
Registered
795 Posts
It's not a ribbon. It's paper. True ribbon tweeters don't make for great home theater speakers.
From their webpage: "The Airmotiv C1+ features a 32 mm Airmotiv folded ribbon tweeter, a 3” woven fiber midrange driver, and dual 5-1/4” woven fiber woofers."

Also, I used to own Front L/C/R with Aurum Cantus aluminum ribbon tweeters & Eton Hexacone woofers and they were great for music and home theater.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Reactions: Vergiliusm

·
Registered
924 Posts
Also, I used to own Front L/C/R with Aurum Cantus aluminum ribbon tweeters & Eton Hexacone woofers and they were great for music and home theater.
I assume your JBL horn loaded tweets are a little more robust in the home theater department. ;)

·
Registered
795 Posts
I assume your JBL horn loaded tweets are a little more robust in the home theater department. ;)
I just ordered the JBL's last week and haven't received them yet. I've never owned speakers with horn-loaded compression drivers, so I'm excited to get them set up!
I never ran into any issues with the Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeters though. I never blew one and they sounded great. I wasn't especially careful with them either, I turned them up quite liberally.

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
From their webpage: "The Airmotiv C1+ features a 32 mm Airmotiv folded ribbon tweeter, a 3” woven fiber midrange driver, and dual 5-1/4” woven fiber woofers."

They can say whatever they want but it's still not a ribbon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Motion_Transformer

And ribbons lack the needed dynamic range to be true HT speakers. It's not that they can't be good with reasonable volume levels but in larger rooms or a greater listening distances they will struggle to hit reference levels without compressing. There's a reason why theaters use horn loaded speakers with compression drivers.

·
Registered
795 Posts

And ribbons lack the needed dynamic range to be true HT speakers. It's not that they can't be good with reasonable volume levels but in larger rooms or a greater listening distances they will struggle to hit reference levels without compressing. There's a reason why theaters use horn loaded speakers with compression drivers.
I get it, and I know that. Keep in mind that not everyone is blasting their systems at reference level in a 20' x 30' room. I still think the Emotiva Center channels are likely a good recommendation for OP especially considering his max budget range. The caveat would be if he's wanting to blast his system at or above reference level in a large room.

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
And ribbons lack the needed dynamic range to be true HT speakers. It's not that they can't be good with reasonable volume levels but in larger rooms or a greater listening distances they will struggle to hit reference levels without compressing.
The large majority of home users never hit "reference levels" (+85db).

@IndyJeep

How loud do you listen? Download a free SPL Meter app to your smartphone and find out. Most people are in the 60-75db range. IIf you're like 75-85db, something with around 90db sensitivity would be prudent, such as Chane, HTD Level 3, Ascend 170/340SE or Klipsch RP series. Above that level, you might have to look into the not-cheap PSA speakers.

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
It's not a ribbon. It's paper.
It's not "paper"---as per your Wikipedia link: "the AMT is made of "a metal-etched folded sheet made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) film."

·
Registered
2,577 Posts

Even if it's a strip of paper - commonly called a RIBBON - your own link refutes you.
Also, Alcons Audio may have a thing (or 50) to say about "And ribbons lack the needed dynamic range to be true HT speakers": https://www.alconsaudio.com/
A ribbon can be a strip of paper, cloth, metal, etc...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The large majority of home users never hit "reference levels" (+85db).

@IndyJeep

How loud do you listen? Download a free SPL Meter app to your smartphone and find out. Most people are in the 60-75db range. IIf you're like 75-85db, something with around 90db sensitivity would be prudent, such as Chane, HTD Level 3, Ascend 170/340SE or Klipsch RP series. Above that level, you might have to look into the not-cheap PSA speakers.

When watching movies I have the receiver set to between -20 and -15 decibels. Loud enough for the svs and Kenwood's to get a good workout. Normal Tv shows more like -30 to -35. It's not a huge room. Maybe 15 x 20 ft. The Emotiva had a lower sensitivity I saw which worried me with being overpowered by the fronts.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts