AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of old Kenwood KL-50A floorstanding 4-way speakers. The drivers are dying and I am in need of replacing them. The speakers are rated for 40W and a range of 40-20,000 Hz at 8 Ohms. They have a 12", 6.5", 3.5" and a horn tweeter (the outside opening is 3" and the tweeter itself is 1.25"). The internal dimensions are HWD 24", 13.5", 10.5" giving an internal volume of 1.7'. I want to keep the same case since it works as a great shelf and fits in with the decor of the room.

I realize that I will also want to re-do the internal crossover with new speakers, but my current problem is how to pick replacement drivers. I am familiar with the basics of speaker measurement, frequency response and impedence, but I am unfamiliar with the other measurements.

I basically need help picking drivers and where to get them.

·
Registered
483 Posts
They may not be worth it. Are the cabinets truly solid and well built? Rebuilding a 4 way is no small task if you're replacing xovers, and modern drivers are different than the old ones and would need different xovers. And while the volume of the box determines bass response, the shape of the front baffle makes a difference too. Old boxy looking speakers sound boxy for a reason. You say they're floorstanders but you have them on a shelf, or in a shelf?

I've given up on speakers that had fewer problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't easily take off the grill without taking the entire speaker apart. I probably can't find replacement parts for it since it is so old (60s). The branding on the speakers is TRIO, I have found similar ones for other Kenwoods, but nothing as old as mine. I would prefer to just replace all of them, maybe make it into a 3-way instead of a 4-way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.