AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I read that DTP94 should be recalibrated every 10 mins during calibration session. In the same time it's known that DTP94 "has built in ambient temperature compensation to control temperature drift of the sensors". So the question is why to bother if the meter does the job by itself?

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesky Records /forum/post/15523315

Hi!

I read that DTP94 should be recalibrated every 10 mins during calibration session. In the same time it's known that DTP94 "has built in ambient temperature compensation to control temperature drift of the sensors". So the question is why to bother if the meter does the job by itself?

It simply needs a new black reading to an absence of light.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
The black reading is an attempt to characterize the total noise level of the probe and associated circuitry so it can be factored out of the software's calculations (this is especially important at low luminance levels). If you're familiar with ETF or REW, think "sound card calibration". Some colorimeters such as the DTP-94 have internal noise levels that increase as they warm up, either from contact with a heat-producing display or from heat generated by their own internal electronics, and this needs to be measured and corrected for at intervals.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce /forum/post/15525522

Some colorimeters such as the DTP-94 have internal noise levels that increase as they warm up

Is not built in temperature compensation of DTP94 supposed to take care of this?

·
Banned
2,421 Posts
What do you want for $150? Its color coordinates are not accurate either as demonstrated in the Laserview Thread, but its a $150 meter and no one expects them to operate like a high end SpectroRadioMeter.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I seem the remember that the DTP-94 was NOT temperature compensated.

EDIT: Nevermind, the brain cells must have been confused.

·
Registered
648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent /forum/post/15533661

I seem the remember that the DTP-94 was NOT temperature compensated.

EDIT: Nevermind, the brain cells must have been confused.

DTP-94 does have temperature compensation built in that makes it an obvious choice for plasma displays. I replaced my Eye One Display LT with DTP-94 and never looked back.

There is excellent colorimeter shootout thread in this section of the forum
Eye One D2/LT and DTP-94 .

You can buy DTP-94 new with/without software package here

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesky Records /forum/post/15533239

Anyone? Still no clear answers to posts #3 and #5

So, what about Royce's answer to post #3 wasn't clear? The answer to post #5 is "it drifts despite temp compensation", but this was basically covered in post #4.

btw, the post I quoted wasn't the most effective way to respond to someone if you actually want people to help you...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom /forum/post/15533825

DTP-94 does have temperature compensation built in that makes it an obvious choice for plasma displays. I replaced my Eye One Display LT with DTP-94 and never looked back.

There is excellent colorimeter shootout thread in this section of the forum
Eye One D2/LT and DTP-94 .

You can buy DTP-94 new with/without software package here

Do you use it in CRT or LCD mode? Do you take a measurement on a black DVD cover to calibrate the internal offsets like you would with a DisplayLT?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I use CRT mode for my CRT RPTV and plasmas. Though I did use LCD mode with my CRT RPTV at some point. I wasn't able to find answer as to what is the right mode for CRT RPTV with DTP94/HCFR combo. During calibration I put my colorimeter on the top of my center channel speaker (sometimes I use DVD cover). I didn't noticed any significant drift over 10 minutes (at least not with greyscale).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts