AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I was buying a Digital camera with my wife the other day. I was of course dealing with the same store/salesman where I purchased my Sammy HLN617W.

I noticed they had sold their Sony/Hitachi 50" LCD displays. Actually, the salesman told me they were on loan to people who had purchased the sets, but the sets they bought are delayed in shipping.

I asked him why - apparently there is a problem with the Sony's and the Hitachi's.

The Sony LCD panels have an issue. I'm sorry, I can't remember exactly what he said exactly, so I don't want to provide false information as to what it was specifically, but it was something to do with the bulb being to intense, causing a 'pink' outline to start appearing around the perimeter of the screen.

With Hitachi, the bulb is an issue. If anyone has a bulb go prematurely, definitely contact the store you purchased it at.

If these were cars, they would be recalled. Since there is no safety issue, and Hitachi & Sony do not want their reputations tarnished, they will not issue a recall. All the same, the dealers know about it.

When I asked the salesman "How are people aware of this, and what do they do?" he told me that Sony/Hitachi will make no effort whatsoever to contact these people. Sony/Hitachi will however replace the set if the customer calls in to the dealer to complain about the specific issue. When a customer called him, he has a 1-800 number for Sony that he gives to the customer.

I believe that Hitachi is now offering a 1 year warranty on their bulbs instead of the original & standard 90 day.

About 80% of the sets are affected for Sony. I don't think the Hitachi is as big an issue as the Sony, and the bulbs, rather than the sets, are replaced.

Since I already purchased a Sammy DLP, there was no reason for my salesman to lie to me. Actually, I have developed a pretty good relationship with him over the last couple of months. If he doen't know something, he flat out tells me, if he knows of a better place to buy something (cheaper) he tells me.

Now, for any Hitachi/Sony LCD owners out there, don't panic as it sounds like these companies will take care of you at all costs, but it will be up to you to call in.

Hope I got this right (I'm going by memory). If anyone knows more about this, and finds any incorrect statements in what I have posted, please feel free to correct.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.