AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm just looking for suggestions on the best L/C/R speakers I can get for under $2k. I am planning to get three identical/vertical oriented (not a dedicated center channel) speakers because they are going behind an AT screen.

I know there are a lot of great speakers out there...just wanted some opinions and personal favorites for the

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
I can't really make a recommendation, but out of all the ill-conceived systems I see, you are doing it right. For theater, no "bookshelves" or "towers"...you're looking for LCRs. Good move. And three identical LCRs, all upright at the same height, firing through an acoustically-transparent screen is the way to go.

Kudos!

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/16943601

I can't really make a recommendation, but out of all the ill-conceived systems I see, you are doing it right. For theater, no "bookshelves" or "towers"...you're looking for LCRs. Good move. And three identical LCRs, all upright at the same height, firing through an acoustically-transparent screen is the way to go.

Kudos!

Hi,

What makes an LCR different than three towers or three bookshelf speakers? Are you referring to a MTM design? If so, why would that be superior to other designs, assuming three identical speakers?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
now I'm a little confused as well...... LCR vs. MTM vs. L/C/R We seem to be mixing our acronyms. I guess Mid-tweeter-Mid (MTM) and left-center-right (LCR) are the same when they apply to individual speakers within a single enclosure or cabinet. L/C/R or L-C-R usually refers to individual stand alone speaker enclosures positioned left, center, and right across the front soundstage ??? Or am I completely off the mark ?

Oh, and since Mr. "S" was far too modest to mention them, with your budget you might look into Triad in-wall speaker units as well.

Since you have an acoustically transparent screen, in-wall units with enclosed backs are the "cleanest" and least noticeable way to position your front 3 speakers.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have the same question for an upcoming theater build.... Please keep the recommendations coming.

Unless I am a bit confused about the previous post, I don't believe enclosed inwalls are necessary. Since you have an AT screen, you will not be seeing the speakers. Appearance will not be an issue.

·
Registered
328 Posts
MTM is just a configuration of the drivers, with a mid/woofer on either side of a tweeter in a more-or-less linear arrangement. LCR and any variant of punctuation marks is referring to the placement as the left, center, or right front speakers, and has also been come to known as a speaker designed more specifically to BE a left center and right in the front stage of an HT. They commonly do use an MTM configuration.

And I would agree that if you are going to position your screen far enough out from the wall, that conventional box speakers will work as well or better than inwalls probably at lower price points for equivalent quality (unless you are going DIY, which is a whole 'nother thread - and forum).

·
Registered
328 Posts
And just because I enjoy being the devil's advocate, there are trade-offs with all things in life and lots more gray than black-and-white. While I will agree with LCR's behind an AT screen for physical placement and seamless integration of sound with vision, the QUALITY of both the sound and vision are slightly compromised with an AT screen. That said, and I have often said this, if I am sitting there critically picking apart the sound and picture quality during a movie, I really need to put in a better movie.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
What throws me is how expensive AT screens are. Personal choice, but I'd rather put the extra thousands of dollars on speakers than on a screen. I'll bet the screen cost way more than the 2K planned on the speakers.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn /forum/post/16965293

What throws me is how expensive AT screens are. Personal choice, but I'd rather put the extra thousands of dollars on speakers than on a screen. I'll bet the screen cost way more than the 2K planned on the speakers.

I ordered sheerweave screen material then had it sent to a screen builder I found on Ebay. All in was less than $500 including shipping for a 120" with nice velvet borders.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I had to wander over to this thread a few hours ago... It has cost me $2600.00!

I have been thinking of upgrading the old Polk speakers for awhile now, read this thread, followed one link to another and saw all of the glowing reviews and wound up hitting the "Emotiva" proceed to checkout button.

I picked up the Emotiva ERT-8.3 towers, the ERM-6.3 for a center and the ERD-1 surrounds.

Thanks guys!

Mike

And a new amp, XPA-3, hey, it was on sale!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Wow, $500. I need a pull-down screen (doesn't even need to be motorized) and those in AT form are outrageously expensive (although I did find one model that was reasonable in cost; but is it any good?)

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn /forum/post/16966604

Wow, $500. I need a pull-down screen (doesn't even need to be motorized) and those in AT form are outrageously expensive (although I did find one model that was reasonable in cost; but is it any good?)

Elite has a new screen, the CineTension 2 which can be had in an AT fabric. It is electric, but they seem to get great reviews are are reasonably priced (not $500, but better than others). Also, I think someone sells a pull down screen using the Sheerweave 4500 fabric so check out the thread in the screen section for more info.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SnapAV also have just come out with some AT screens. Haven't seen many reviews on them since they are so new, but their normal screens have gotten pretty good feedback. So hopefully their AT screens will follow suit.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobn4burton /forum/post/16958809

Seems like the Emotive 6.3's get some pretty glowing reviews from people. I'm actually leaning towards those at the moment.

Any others I should consider??

Not for high end Home Theater performance. There are really limited choices for higher end home theater. You need speakers that have high sensitivity and higher SPL abilities (with low distortion) something like the Klipsch mentioned already or Seaton Catalysts, Seaton Sparks, JTRs, Tannoy, Danley (SH-mini) or JBL designs.

Since they are going to be behind the screen you shouldn't care about the cosmetic looks and $$$ that goes into that..Any of the choices I listed are tops for Home Theater

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/16943244

Two I would consider:

Outlaw LCR

Emotiva ERM 6.3

No way would I put either of those in any custom home theater, they just do not have the specs worthy of it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts