AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the benefit of those that gave up following the "Home Theater Builder Is In The Mail!!!" thread I thought I'd post under a new topic.

As the subject indicates my copy of HTB arrived today. Haven't cracked the cover yet but will post back with my impressions once I've had a chance to read through it.

I can tell you that it is around 60 pages and at first glance appears welll laid out, but I'll reserve my final decision until I've gone through the content.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
60 pages?!! seems a little small to me.

brickie

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
How many of those pages are ads? Typically new pubs start fairly small because a lot of ads haven't been sold yet. As ads get sold, the mag gets bigger, but sometimes the content stays the same size.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Twelve full page ads including the back cover. Another 2-3 pages of ads (roughly) if you were to add up the 1/4 & 1/2 page ads.

I believe Steve is probably right regarding the number of ads increasing as HTB establishes itself. (hopefully) To put things in perspective I grabbed a random old copy of "Audio Video Interiors" I had lying around. (October 2001 - I'm a mag pack rat...what can I say?) Anyway, that copy of AVI was 90 pages, with 23 full page ads, 4 "Product Showcase" pages (classifieds) & at least another 8-10 pages worth of 1/4 & 1/2 page ads. Given this sample we have:

AVI - 37/90 = 41% ads

HTB - 15/60 = 25% ads

Personally I don't think that the number of ads is relevant to whether or not a magazine is worthwhile provided the content is useful, but it was brought up so I thought I'd throw the numbers out there.

FWIW I found this premier issue of HTB to be infinitely more beneficial than ANY copy of AVI I've ever read. I'll grant you AVI is really eye candy for most of us and serves a different purpose, but I digress...

If I were grading the magazine overall I'd give it a "B", with a lot of leeway given due to the fact that it's the first issue. Had this been an established magazine I may not be so kind.

The articles were fairly well written and informative, though they seemed to be mostly of the "get to know the contributors" variety. I would imagine future issues will delve a bit deeper into various areas of HT.

All in all I can't complain...money well spent as far as I'm concerned. I look forward to future issues.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Anybody know where this can be picked up locally?

I stopped by the closest Barnes and Noble yesterday. I remembered to look for it, but couldn't find it... maybe they don't have it in yet, or would they not carry it?

should I look somewhere else like Borders?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I believe the publisher has said that it's going to subscribers first, and then to retail locations. Chances are that the subscriber's copies are mailed right from their printer, but the retail copies have to go to individual distribution centers. My guess is that there could easily be a 1-2 week difference between when you see these in mailboxes and when you see them on shelves in bookstores.

·
Registered
631 Posts
If it is like my fine home building magazine, I can usually read it at Barnes and nobles before it gets to my mailbox. The only good thing is that all the good articles have the pages marked, and it is pre-coffe stained. I hope the mailman likes his/my subscription. I wonder if I get him a subscription for X-mass if I will get mine earlier.

The magazine should be in the stands a couple of weeks from now.

* Barnes & Noble (inc. B. Dalton, Doubleday, Scribners, Bookstar,

Bookstop, Ink Newstand, B&N College Bookstores)

* Barnes & Noble College

* Borders Books Shops

* Connect 2 One

* Eastern Lobby Shops

* Follett

* Hastings

* Independent Newsstand & Bookstores (USA)

* Lowes

* Musicland

* Microcenter

* Shinders

* Tower Books & Records

* Virgin Records

* Waldenbooks

Canada

* Gordon & Gotch Canada (Chapters/Coles Books)

* Independent Newsstands & Bookstores (Canada)

* LMPI (United Cigar Shops)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
OK - I find this horribly odd and yet strangely amusing at the same time. We've got people in this forum who are banging down the doors wondering where their first issue to this magazine is, and we've got a member here who has it in his hands and the only question asked about it so far is how many pages of it are ads?!?!?

So, I don't know about you guys, but I don't subscribe to magazines for the ads. Personally I don't care if it's 25% or 40% ads - especially with something like this where a single suggestion or tip could save us hours of effort, or hundreds of dollars worth of tools, supplies or labor costs. Heck - we're lucky we aren't women - their magazines are nothing BUT ads.

So, chs4... what's the scoop? Can you give us some detail on this magazine now that you've had a few days to pour over it? I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to get a little sneak peek.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just got home and it was there in out mailbox too. Yay! The wait was not exactly bothering me too much, I just wanted to see what it was like. OK I play that down a little, I was getting sick of seeing the wife's magazines in the mailbox month after month and all I wanted to see was some HT magazine, such a simple request. The post went out the other week that it had shipped, and then I was all worried... "What if the mailman cannot get to the mailbox with all this snow..." but the snow came and went, well for now, and today was the day!

I had subbed for three years, the price for that deal eludes me right now, but it was not so much that I am worried about it (Don't get me wrong, I am not rich in the slightest, but if I can justify spending money on DVDs I could at least hold off on a couple of purchases and use the money on a subscription). The magazine seems well laid out, I have only had a chance to skim it thus far but it at least appears to be professional.

I do like the mini DIY 'featurettes' (?) along with the Reader's HT page towards the back.

The one thing lacking (IMHO) is a little more of the larger scale DIY for the actual "Home Theater Builder" that's in us all here :D, however there is a good introduction to Chris Doutur's HT project, I just hope that this part pans out as this kind of month by month DIY HT project is _exactly_ what I am looking for.

Of course do not get me wrong AVSers, I have read many a post here and bookmarked many an online album. I just need more :eek:

But overall I would agree with chs4 and give it a B - especially based on first impressions, here's hoping it gets to an A or at the very least maintains a B and never sinks lower.

HTB: Please dont lose sight of what this magazine can become. We're counting on you ;)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MrSquid

So, chs4... what's the scoop? Can you give us some detail on this magazine now that you've had a few days to pour over it? I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to get a little sneak peek. [/b]
I'm not exactly sure how you go about "reviewing" a magazine, and I agree that one good article or comment could be worth the entire subsription price in time or money saved, so I'm hesitant to put my own spin on it. That said I'll give you a rundown of the Table of Contents and let you make your own decisions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TABLE OF CONTENTS

FEATURES

EXPERT ADVICE

Questions answered by installers

HTB SURVEY

Answer a few questions for a chance at free DVD rentals

HOME THEATER START TO FINISH - Chris Dotur

One reader's adventures on the road to building a home theater

INSTALLER PROFILE

The Starlight Theater

MANUFACTURER'S INTERVIEW

Peter Tribeman of Atlantic Technologies

READER'S HOME THEATERS

Tell us about your home theater and maybe you'll win a prize

DIY

DIY

Do-It-Yourself Home Theater Projects - Get to work

DIY - BEAM ME UP - J. Robert Green

Wireless RF Transmission

DIY - TACTILE TRANSDUCERS - Daniel Gene Michael

Tactile Transducers Give Good Vibes

DIY - CRT CALIBRATION - Jeff Bryngelson

OPINIONS

THEO KALOMIRAKIS

An Interview by Steven Castle

MITCHELL KLEIN

DAVID BOTT

DEPARTMENTS

FIRST THOUGHTS - Lee H. Pappas

FEEDBACK

Reader's letters and HTB information

NEW PRODUCTS

What's new in home theater

HOME THEATER NEWS - Alan Gouger

The latest products and news

ADVERTISER INDEX

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the rundown. I'd be happy to expand on any of the items listed but don't want to give it all away. Besides, I'm not real sure that the folks at HTB want me posting detailed info about their premier issue on a public forum before it gets into subscriber's hands and onto newstands.

I'm sure we'll all have plenty to discuss (good and bad) once it starts showing up around the country. I'll reserve my opinions for those discussions.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Just got my issue of HTB, I was a little more excited probably than most since I knew my theater was pictured in the Readers' HomeTheaters section. :D

Although I haven't had a chance to more than thumb through the pages, I think for their first magazine presentation-wise it's very well done.

Now I need to actually read it instead of look at all the pretty pictures. :)

Like someone mentioned, if it provides a valuable resource, unknown product or saves you a few hours, your subscription was well worth it.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Springmeyer
Has anyone on the west coast received their copy yet? It wasn't in my mailbox today and I'm getting worried.

Worried they forgot about the west coast? ;) It hit Wisconsin today - I'm guessing the west coast should see theirs Wed. or Thurs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
no mag in Texas yet either. There is always Tomorrow to look forward to.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I received mine today! Better 4 months late than never I guess.

So far all I've had time to do was thumb through, but it does indeed look to be a decent product.

Speaking of ads, I did notice one for HTB T-shirts, in my opinion, they should send a shirt to all of us who sent our $40 checks all those months ago and had to listen to all the excuses about delays!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Glad to hear that people are finally getting the issue. We have been on pins and needles since the shipping date waiting for the first word that it has arrived.

More importantly, we appreciate your comments. We look forward to seeing more here in the forum as well as your responses on the survey included with magazine. Any and all suggestions as to how to improve the magazine and better meet your needs are highly desired by us to ensure this magazine gets better with every issue. We already have a number of improvements we are making for the second issue.

As for the ads - we are always happy to have additional advertisers to pay more pages of articles. So if you are interested in supporting an article, give us a call! (light humor)

On the serious side, we will grow the number of pages in the magazine as we move along. Expect to see larger and better issues.

Enjoy the issue!

Andy Crosby

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Andy,

I live in Shrewsbury, MA and still haven't received my issue yet. Could you please check that I am indeed on your distribution list? It may be the backup do to holiday mail, but after seeing the issue was first received by a member in Dracut, MA, I'm starting to get a little worried.

Thanks,

-D

·
Registered
628 Posts
I got mine over the weekend. I too would rate it a B. No doubt its more useful to us DIY's than something like HTM. I haven't had the chance to read the whole mag yet, but I did read the article on how bass shakers work and how to install them.

Its not just some quick "this is how you do it" article. It a couple of pages in length and goes into detail on how they work, how to connect them to your system and how to mount them to your seats. In fact it goes over multiple methods of mounting. This is just the type of article I was hoping for in this mag. I happen to have already installed my shakers but its still good to see that the mag will tackle these kinds of subjects in detail.

I will admit that I was a little taken back by the physical quality of the mag. It was a little thin, probably just due to the initial lack of adds, but the mag wasn't bound like most mags of this type. It was just a fold over with staples similar to a Popular Science mag. No biggie, just being picky. The pictures were high resolution and seemed to be printed on a decent paper. Maybe not the same quality as some other mags, but high enough to be sufficient eye candy.

It was nice to see an AVS members HT in the first issue, as well as a page with commentary from the AVS staff.

All in all I think they're off to a good start and expect that it will get better from here.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.