Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received my PDP-503MXE!

I chose to buy the MXE version instead of the HDE version, primarily due to the expected improvement in picture quality due to the 832 vs. 256 grey levels. It comes with a dark frame and an acrylic front, much like the CMX version. From the PDF file with the reference manual they also seem to be very similar, if not identical. One thing that might be different, even if it not mentioned in the manual, is the supply voltage. Luckily the MXE can handle the 230V we are using I Europe. Actually it can be used with 100-240V, 50-60Hz, so maybe Pioneer only has one model but two names? The manual that came with the set was quite different from the Technical manual that I downloaded previously! It does not describe anything about the integrator mode, so it is good to have also the PDF version.

Delivery.

The display was delivered with the PDA-5002 and a wall mount. No problems, everything arrived with no damages. Actually I received it already on November 1st, but only yesterday I got a chance to check it properly, using the AVIA DVD. Ironically it took more than 2 weeks to get the AVIA disc, but only 2 days to get the display!

First impression.

The first impression was, that the colours were very good, but the black level could have been better. I was of course very interested to see the performance with a PAL signal, since I guess that most people on this forum are using either NTSC or even HDTV. It does seem to handle the PAL signal quire well and with a good signal source the quality is outstanding.

Installation.

I installed it on the wall using the wall-mount PDK-5013. This was no problem.

RGB problem.

I tried to hook it up to my digital satellite receiver using RGB, since I was told, by a guy who was part of the development team for the receiver, that it would be slightly better than the S-Video signal. I had no luck though, since it turned out, that the synchronization signal from the receiver is a composite video signal, and apparently the display expects a TTL level for the sync. I have therefore gone back to using the S-Video in stead.

Bad pixels.

Unfortunately I have spotted 3 pixels with a problem. One does not seem to be able to turn on the green. It is located about 5cm (2â€) from the bottom, close to the centre in the horizontal direction. Two pixels have some red emission when the green is ON. One is close to the centre of the screen and one is in a corner.

Calibration.

Using the AVIA I calibrated only the Tint, which I set at +4. Everything else has not been changed.

PAL.

It seems like there are separate settings for NTSC and PAL, so I set the PAL at the same setting, since the AVIA is of course giving out NTSC. This seems to be a good setting also for PAL, giving a very good picture quality. Any feedback from other users using PAL would be appreciated.

Fans.

The MXE version does come with fans, but so far they do not seem to have been active. I suspect they will only go active if used in very hot places, so I don’t expect any problems here.

Conclusion.

Overall I am very pleased with the picture quality. The black level should have been a bit lower to be perfect, but I knew that when I ordered it. On the other hand the brightness means that it can be used like any other standard TV with no special light conditions. Unfortunately we do not have access to HDTV signals here. Hopefully that will come some day.

JHansen

·
Registered
65 Posts
Very interesting to hear your comments re- PAL sources. I hope to get a look at the CMX version in a couple of weeks. Please keep us posted on how the display is to live with.

Matt.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I've had the 503CMX for a few weeks now. I'm still not wholly satisfied with the black level in dark scenes (in brighter scenes you don't notice a problem), but I do seem to slowly be getting used to it. Also, black level would be my only complaint, really. Colors are really nice and saturated, and it's a very bright display. It helps to have slightly non-black bars when viewing 4:3; contrast and black level is all in the mind.

This display really shines with HD. If most of your viewing will be HD or DVD, I'd recommend it. HD "comes together" beautifully at 8-9 feet, my preferred viewing distance. Unfortunately, most of my viewing is NTSC, with a little HD thrown in. It's acceptable, but I'm not sure it's worth the price for mostly NTSC. :)

The one thing that's keeping me from seriously thinking about sending it back and looking at the Fujitsu (which would have been my choice if I didn't get a deal on the 503) is the expansion slot. I'm becoming more and more certain that this will be very important in the future.

Alex

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will be getting my HDE tomorrow or the day after.

I took some time of from work because I wanna keep my eye on the screen while it gets installed. Dead Pixels..and such.

I'm getting a dvd 737 (elite dv-37 in US) with it. I can't wait to see it in my house. It's an awesome screen. Quality wise it's probably up there with the panny 42".

I don't have the avia disc, I'm just gonna alter the settings to my feeling.

But settings from an other PAL user would be great..

E.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.