AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago I received the Toshiba DST3000 HD/DirecTV receiver that I purchased as part of a "Group Buy" offered on this board by Leroy Haynes. I am pleased to say that I am very satisfied with how everything has turned out. The double-boxed factory-sealed package arrived in great condition complete with a new DirecTV access card.

In case anyone hasn't seen any reviews of the DST3000 here are my observations...

First, I guess I must point out that I will not be able to check out the DirecTV capabilites of the box for another 11 days or so. My DirecTV HD antenna isn't scheduled to be installed until 4/2/01. However, I am able to easily pull in Austin's only currently broadcasting digital station KXAN the local NBC affiliate. I am using an old RCA setup antenna to pull in the signal and getting a signal strength of about 60. Naturally, the upconverted digital signal blows away the analog version in every way. The only thing that I don't really like is that you can't kill the black sidebars on the upconverted digital 1080i signal coming from the local network. Since almost all HD sets lock into full mode on a 1080i signal, the risk for burn-in from the black bars is pretty high. Broadcasters are going to have to figure out something because its ridiculous to imagine this continuing until everything is converted to 16:9 broadcast. Luckily, for upconverted channels the DST3000 provides 3 modes for viewing the channels Full, Zoom and Standard w/gray sidebars. Over the past two nights, I've had a chance to check out "The Tonight Show w/Jay Leno" in all of its high-definition glory and it's been everything that I've ever heard about HDTV in quality and more. It's truly painful watching my TV convert back to upconvert mode when the show is over.

The Toshiba DST3000 box is a solid value, it even came with a set of component video/audio cables, something which my top-of-the-line Toshiba DVD player didn't even include. FYI, the group buy offer did not include an antenna. Luckliy, DirecTV has a special offer for existing customers like myself that are moving. If I leave my existing 18" dish at the old house, they will install a new 18"x24" dish at my new home for a very minimal charge. Since I agreed to a year of Total Choice programming, they're providing and installing the antenna for only $13.

This was my first participation in a group buy and I will admit that other than my instincts I had no idea how it would turn out. I would recommend that if you are not very trusting and patient to stick to retail stores or well-known etailers. The people that are offering these products are not making a lot of money off of them and they don't have customer service departments set up. So if you think that you'll be needing a lot of hand-holding and daily status updates than this group buy is probably not for you. On the other hand, if you can stomach paying the absolute lowest price you can for something and then waiting patiently and can get by with occassional updates, than by all means go for it. I have to admit that I was one of the initial squeaky wheels about how this deal was going down and you may want to take into consideration that this may have been a factor in me receiving one of the first units. So like many of you I'm also awaiting hearing from some of the other buyers on how everything has worked out for them. I can honestly say that my initial instincts did not let me down and based on how everything has went down I would like to publically thank Leroy Haynes and his associate for providing a valuable service to us AVS Forum members!

Thanks Leroy! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-eB

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ebony Blue,

If you don't mind me asking, what's the group buy price you paid? You can private message me if you don't want to post the reply here. And can I still join the group buy?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thank you Ebony for your post!! We have definitely learned some from this recent Group Buy and we will implement some changes for any future buys. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind posting your post in the original thread so that we can have the history in one place.

The best part is that onecall is an authorized dealer

for the lines they sell.

Just an FYI!! We are authorized for any and all group buys and although we

re not as big as OneCall we definitely try to go the extra mile in providing quality service before, during and after the transaction. Thank you Ebony for your post and I hope you get many years of enjoyment from your DST3000.

------------------

To Infinity and Beyond!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.