AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am looking to spend around $300 +/- $30

I am looking for 5.1 but later maybe needing 7.1, HDMI up-conversion to 1080 for anything that I don't have that is 1080 ready, Sirius ready and Ipod hookup would be nice. I'll probably get a Blu-ray player in the near future. Last and most important, I am going to be using a home theater laptop for TV to stream Netflix, Hulu, OTA, Pandora, etc. For that I'll use Windows 7 as a PVR with a USB TV Tuner card.

Originally I thought I had it narrowed to:

Pioneer VSX-920-K

Onkyo TX-SR508

However, in reading the forums, it looks like there are many good alternative options out there if you go the Refurb route or know where to look. Any advice would help as I would like to look at Yamaha or Denon as well but seem priced out of my budget.

I forgot to add, my 5.1 components consist of entry level Paradigm fronts, center, and surrounds with a entry level Velodyne sub.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, after going through the models again, it appears as if the Onkyo TX-SR508 doesn't have up-conversion. I was searching around and found that Electronics Expo has the Yamaha RX-V1065BL at close to my budget. Is Electronic Expo a pretty reputable online vendor? And is the RX-V1065BL a better unit for my needs than the Pioneer?

·
Premium Member
93,258 Posts
Although a bit higher than your budget, give the Denon 1911 a look as it should meet your requirements as well as include Audyssey MultEQ. Electronics Expo is a very reliable vendor and suggested most frequently in the Denon threads as they are a Denon authorized reseller. Call them though for their best price as they generally list MSRP on their website but usually sell for up to 30% below MSRP depending on the model.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have basically the same requirements as you. I was very happy to discover this model this weekend:

It's basically a 608 without THX certification ( and no PC VGA input ) Just about every thing else on the model comparison chart matches up, but it has a much more value-oriented price point (a little more than the $300 budget you mentioned, but I doubt you'll get what you want for that price new without a significant compromise):

Onkyo HT-RC260

7.2-Channel Home Theater Receiver

HDMI V1.4a repeater , 6in (1 front) / 1out

Support for 3D Video and Audio Return Channel

HDMI 1080p video upconversion by Faroudja DCDi cinema

WRAT technology and discrete amp construction for cleaner sound

TrueHD/DTS-HD decoding to support the latest Blu-ray technology

Optional UP-A1 iPod Dock and UP-HT1 HDradio module via proprietary U.Port

4 DSP Gaming Modes: Rock, Sports, Action, and Role Playing

Audyssey 2EQ w/ Dynamic EQ & Dynamic Volume

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Can't really lose with Pioneer or Denon if thy meet your requirement.

Pioneer has better iPod integration though.

·
Premium Member
93,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mora2818 /forum/post/19558231

Is there any advantage with the Denon over the 920? It looks like Dakmart has the 1910 in my price range: http://www.dakmart.com/p11299/DENON-...duct_info.html however I am not sure what kind of warranty it comes with.

If you review Dakmart's website, you'll note they offer Denon's normal 90 day warranty as well as add another 9 months of their own to make a full year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'll go with the Pioneer. Dakmart has quite a few negative reviews on here and while contemplating buying both and just returning the unit I didn't like as much, Dakmart has a 20% restocking fee. Not to mention it sounds like many people who have issues with refurb Denon's with Dakmart don't get much help from Dakmart. I'll go with the safe bet and proven customer service.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I heard even Best Buy has a restocking fee for returns. I have not looked into though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Best Buy policy:

Restocking Fee

A restocking fee is applicable in some product categories, unless you are a Reward Zone Program Premier Silver member, the item is defective, or the fee is prohibited by law. The restocking fee charges are:

25% for Special Order Products, including appliances

15% for opened notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, GPS navigation and in-car video systems

10% for Apple® iPhone

1 - 13 of 13 Posts