AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new receiver in the $2-4k range. Two channel audio quality is important to me. I don't think I really have a need for multi-zone audio and don't think I will ever have a HT setup more complex than 5.1. I have been looking around the message boards for a while and am having some "analysis paralysis". My question is this - given the relative simplicity of my set-up and my focus on 2 channel audio quality, what brands/units should I be considering (again keeping in mind that music listening is probably more important than a "kitchen sink" feature list). Thanks!

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
More than you need but the Yamaha Z11 is a bargain now. Also if you have room for it you could go the separates route and get a mid-line AVR or pre-pro and an Emotiva XPA-5. In that price range there are a lot of choices. A dedicated pre-pro like the Onkyo 5507 and Emo XPA5 would be a good choice.

·
Banned
368 Posts
I just purchased the Marantz sr7002 which is just a $1400 receiver, but I can tell you that it really blows me away when it comes to its sound quality specially at 2 channel mode. Makes me wonder how would the sr8002, rated 125 watts per channel and a better amp than the 7002, sounds like. On stand alone receivers, I think its hard to touch Marantz when it comes to sound quality.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by powers2020 /forum/post/18136846

I am in the market for a new receiver in the $2-4k range. Two channel audio quality is important to me. I don't think I really have a need for multi-zone audio and don't think I will ever have a HT setup more complex than 5.1. I have been looking around the message boards for a while and am having some "analysis paralysis". My question is this - given the relative simplicity of my set-up and my focus on 2 channel audio quality, what brands/units should I be considering (again keeping in mind that music listening is probably more important than a "kitchen sink" feature list). Thanks!

Tell your speakers. Generally it is not a good idea to spend that much on a processor if you don't have very inefficient speakers.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
For you budget, you could look at an Onkyo pre processor and an external amp, such as Emotiva.

Some people prefer a one box solution though.

I liked what I saw with some of the higher end Onkyo models. Denon is very popular, especially their upper end models.

I have the Yamaha Z7, and I feel it's a good receiver, but you can save money and get practically the same thing with the RX-V3900.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Does used work for you?

I think with that budget you could get into a very nice pre-pro/amp solution. An Integra or Rotel pre-amp and a used amp would be a formidable set-up IMHO.

In the one box system, you have the Yamaha Phantom rec'd, the Onkyo nr5007, a Rotel 15 series (forgot the exact model), or a Denon 4xxx. Personally I would go with a Onkyo PR5507/Integra 80.1 and a used amp like an NAD or Parasound. Or the Rotel setup new would be close or doable depending on your power needs.

Edit: The wrench with the Onkyo twins is if you prefer to feed them analog over digital. Some debate about their capability there, but I use a mid-line player as a transport and feed a digital signal where these supposedly shine.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
In that price range, new is also an option. Onkyo/Integra preprocessor (there's a few models,) and Emotiva UPA-7 power, and he's under $2000, right?

You can consider the XPA-5, and then add an XPA-2 and stay under 3000. An XPA-5 and XPA-3 would even be cheaper.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by powers2020 /forum/post/18143483

Speakers are in a larger, open room (den+kitchen). When you say "high" do you mean volume level? If so, moderate volume. If you mean height, about 4'. Listing distance is about 15-17'.

If my internet source is correct, your speakers have a sensitivity rating of 86 DB. A receiver that pushes 100 watts per channel will provide for about 102 decibels at 16 feet with 5 speakers and about 98 db with 2 speakers. That is very loud, but not reference level. If you want to go to reference levels, you will need at least 300 watts/channel since you have fairly insensitive speakers.

If you want to listen at reference levels, I would recommend you this:
http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm

along with this:
http://integrahometheater.com/model....eamplifier&p=i

Together they should cost about $2,000.

If you don't listen too loud, just get an entry level Onkyo for $500 and get it over with.

Electronics does not make that much difference in sound reproduction. Spend your money in where it matters: Room.

·
Registered
981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/18143504

For you budget, you could look at an Onkyo pre processor and an external amp, such as Emotiva.

Some people prefer a one box solution though.

I liked what I saw with some of the higher end Onkyo models. Denon is very popular, especially their upper end models.

I have the Yamaha Z7, and I feel it's a good receiver, but you can save money and get practically the same thing with the RX-V3900.

If that's the case, then you can just get a 663 and save even more money (that is, if the feature set of the lower end model is sufficient for you). I bought both the 3900 and 663 and compared them back to back in my own system and the baseline sound quality was identical (even on higher end B&W 800 series speakers). Well, I was using an external amp with each (an Emotiva XPA-5).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.