AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in way over my head. I just purchased a Samsung PN58B860 and I thought everything was cool. When I received it I realized there was only one component input - I had to choose between Wii and PS2 (I have a child so, no, I could not get rid of the PS2). I have a component switch so I figured I would work on that later. Here's the rub - I was naive and assumed that the digital audio out would pass 5.1. Alas. So, I'm screwed. I do not have an AV amp and I do not have the ability to hook everything up to the TV and get the 5.1 back to the receiver. I have a DirecTV HD DVR (HDMI), Samsung Blu-ray (HDMI), xBox 360 (HDMI), Wii (Component-Stereo) and PS2 (Component-Stereo). All I want is an AV receiver than can take all of these inputs and push them over a HDMI cable to the TV. I would like to retain the handshake between the BR and the TV - it's not necessary to do this with the receiver off as it would be on anyway. I really don't care what the TV sounds like as I would use the 5.1 on the receiver all the time. I'm looking at the Onkyo TX-SR507 but I have no idea if there are any "gotchas". My budget is

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

You need an AVR that is capable of what is known as transcoding or Analog to HDMI Upconversion. That is hooking up component, composite, S-Video and HDMI into the AVR with it being output through the HDMI Monitor Out.

Many AVR's offer this. Unfortunately, not many entry level AVR's offer this.

I know that Onkyo's upper range offer this, but I do not think the TX-SR507 does. Actually, I know for sure it does not. The next model up, the TX-SR607 does offer this feature.

If it was me, I would go with a B-Stock Onkyo TX-SR706 for 429 (899 retail) from Accessories4less: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-Black/1.html

Simply awesome value and offers THX Processing and Audyssey MultEQ for almost the same price as a new 607.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
83 Posts
You may also want to check out denon. they have the AVR1610 for 379 msrp. it will do video conversion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the input. As for the Denon AVR-1610 am I reading this spec wrong?

Upconverts analog video signals over HDMI to 480p

That seems more like a conversion than an "upconversion". I was wondering just in case I wanted to plug in a 1080i component, this would not work?

·
Registered
22,521 Posts
You don't need an AVR to convert analog video to HDMI, and frankly the results are generally poor on those that do. The AVR only needs the 2 component inputs that you have, it will also output component to your TV and switch the 2 inputs. You'd then also be switching the TV between component and HDMI inputs, but the results will actually be better since you're then allowed to correctly calibrate the TV for the 2 different inputs.

So you're looking for an AVR with 2 component inputs and 3 separate HDMI inputs that are not linked to either of those component inputs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the input. I decided to try the Denon AVR-590. Who would have thought that my MS in Chemistry would ill prepare me for the manual.

I look like a goof in front of my wife.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts