AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I currently have (2) AVR's, a Denon 1713 and a Tascam PAR200. I bought the Tascam for $200 on ebay last year to use as a bedroom receiver. For those unfamiliar, it's essentially very similar to a high end Onkyo/Integra receiver. I actually really liked the receiver and ended up throwing it into the man setup and the 1713 went to the bedroom. Well we've moved, and my new setup in the basement allows for me to get a nice subwoofer and my wife can't say anything about it. So I ordered a Rythmik FV15hp and now I worry my setup may be lacking because the Tascam only utilizes Audyssey 2EQ.

I'm no audiophile, but based on my reading it seems the Audyssey XT on my 1713 would probably better serve the main setup in the basement in terms of getting everything setup right. Would I be better served switching the Denon back to the main setup? Is power a concern running my Pioneer towers considering the Tascam runs 100w and the Denon runs 80w. Would I notice any difference there?

I've also been thinking about putting my old subwoofer in the garage and buying a cheap receiver for out there to go with that and some speakers I have laying around. Something like the Denon 1513 can be had for $130 refurbished. But then I saw the x1100w for $250 refurbished on Amazon and Accessories4less. Any thoughts on the 1100? Any concerns buying a refurb from amazon or A4less?

·
Registered
29,186 Posts
The Denon 1513 has no room calibration at all. I'd think you'd want something with at least Audyssey MutlEQ if you gonna buy an inexpensive receiver.

As far as your Denon 1713 vs Tascam why don't you try them both out and leave the one in place that works better for you? Since it is your home you'll know better than anyone which one does best.

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
Since 2EQ doesn't EQ the subwoofer at all, your 1713 should sound better. (Of course, you also need to find the best location for the subwoofer in order to get the best bass.)

I'd suggest comparing the features provided in the X1000 to what's in your 1713 to decide which better fits your requirements. They have the same version of MultEQ (XT), so that wouldn't be one of the differentiators.

Of course, upgrading to a receiver with MultEQ XT32 would be even better, but I assume the budget won't stretch quite that far.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Denon 1513 has no room calibration at all. I'd think you'd want something with at least Audyssey MutlEQ if you gonna buy an inexpensive receiver.

As far as your Denon 1713 vs Tascam why don't you try them both out and leave the one in place that works better for you? Since it is your home you'll know better than anyone which one does best.
I agree regarding the 1513. It was just going in the garage, so I didn't care much about features. I just didn't expect to be able to get something like the 1100 for $250. For that price I may buy one of those and then figure out what goes to the garage, the Tascam or 1713

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since 2EQ doesn't EQ the subwoofer at all, your 1713 should sound better. (Of course, you also need to find the best location for the subwoofer in order to get the best bass.)

I'd suggest comparing the features provided in the X1000 to what's in your 1713 to decide which better fits your requirements. They have the same version of MultEQ (XT), so that wouldn't be one of the differentiators.

Of course, upgrading to a receiver with MultEQ XT32 would be even better, but I assume the budget won't stretch quite that far.
I agree that a receiver with XT will likely sound better. It's the X1100 for $250 right now at accessories4less that I'm thinking about. It only came up because of the idea of buying a cheap receiver for the garage, I guess for $100 more, this would be good for the main setup. Power and Audyssey should be the same as my 1713 I guess. The x1100 now has 7.2, HDMI 2.0, wifi, and bluetooth. So it's not bad, not exactly features I'm totally in need of

The thing that concerns me is the reviews. I've seen some mention of mediocre reviews on Amazon regarding the x1100, yet somehow there are no reviews right now. Any opinions on it at $250?

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
I'd consider it a steal, so long as it has an appropriate US manufacturer's warranty. Be sure to ask about that. If it's used, you'll need the sales receipt that was received by the original purchaser. D+M warranties normally are not transferable.

Remember that Amazon reviews tend to be negative, even more than here on AVS, because people with positive experiences have no real reason to post there. You probably should ask for more information about the X1100 in the AVS thread dedicated to the 2014 Denon non-Atmos AVRs: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...es-x-series-avr-model-owner-s-thread-faq.html

Lots of details about the 2014 lineup are included in the first few posts.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd consider it a steal, so long as it has an appropriate US manufacturer's warranty. Be sure to ask about that. If it's used, you'll need the sales receipt that was received by the original purchaser. D+M warranties normally are not transferable.

Remember that Amazon reviews tend to be negative, even more than here on AVS, because people with positive experiences have no real reason to post there. You probably should ask for more information about the X1100 in the AVS thread dedicated to the 2014 Denon non-Atmos AVRs: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...es-x-series-avr-model-owner-s-thread-faq.html

Lots of details about the 2014 lineup are included in the first few posts.
Thanks. It's a refurb from Accessories4less at $250, still seems like a good deal though. It comes with a 1 year warranty, and the option to extend that for extra of course.

I'll post up in the thread as you suggested, Amazon sure has cleaned it's slate of any reviews for this model. The S700w which is the slightly cheaper version, but same build, has some terrible reviews. Lots of issues with the lights on the front panel going out, etc. So I'm getting a bit nervous

1 - 7 of 7 Posts