AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a new receiver for my Paradigm Monitor 11's. I currently have an old Denon that does not have HDMI so I would like to upgrade so I can take advantage of the new audio formats. What interested me was the Audyssey technology. The auto setup with the speakers and also the dynamic volume which would keep the volume levels the same when changing from channel to channel which would be very important to me.

When I auditioned the speakers before I bought them one place used a Denon receiver the other place used a Yamaha Receiver, the Yamaha sounded fantastic. So I was set on getting a Yamaha. The problem is they have their YAPO technology which is supposed to be very good but not sure if its as good as Audyssey and also if they even have a good Dynamic Volume Control. Was also looking at the Onkyo receivers but from what I read they have heat issues. Any input on what would be good for my needs would be appreciated. My budget is $500 to $700.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I think it might be hard to evaluate YPAO vs Audyssey. It's even possible one works better than another under some conditions, but that's just speculation on my part.

Audyssey is more sophisticated near as I can tell, so maybe it's better at smoothing out room response.

Onkyo receivers seem to be excellent value for the money. As for heat issues, I am not sure if heat is really in issue in most cases, or people just THINK heat is an issue. Hard to say.

I personally like Yamaha, and have had good luck with mine ( I think I have owned six of them.) With your budget, if you do go Yamaha, look at the Yamaha RX-V765, not the 665 - the 765 has discrete amps and a higher power consumption (meaning it should have more power.) Of course, there's always last years models like the 863, and the 1800.

Note that the new Yamaha x65 line is limited in terms of input flexibility. For example, one component video input is paired with optical, and the other with coax. For your purposes, that might not be an issue.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Not that I know of. They might have Adaptive DRC, but I don't think that's really the same thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollastone /forum/post/16946731

Looking to buy a new receiver for my Paradigm Monitor 11's. I currently have an old Denon that does not have HDMI so I would like to upgrade so I can take advantage of the new audio formats. What interested me was the Audyssey technology. The auto setup with the speakers and also the dynamic volume which would keep the volume levels the same when changing from channel to channel which would be very important to me.

When I auditioned the speakers before I bought them one place used a Denon receiver the other place used a Yamaha Receiver, the Yamaha sounded fantastic. So I was set on getting a Yamaha. The problem is they have their YAPO technology which is supposed to be very good but not sure if its as good as Audyssey and also if they even have a good Dynamic Volume Control. Was also looking at the Onkyo receivers but from what I read they have heat issues. Any input on what would be good for my needs would be appreciated. My budget is $500 to $700.

..As you said "When I auditioned the speakers before I bought them one place used a Denon receiver the other place used a Yamaha Receiver, the Yamaha sounded fantastic."...different rooms and different receivers could biais your choice.

I think that receivers are fairely close .I personnaly chose Audeyssey and in MY room it does wonders....i will never know if YPAO could have done the same results........really dig the DynamicVOL and Dynamic Eq.....my choice was DENON

·
Registered
30,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollastone /forum/post/16946731

When I auditioned the speakers before I bought them one place used a Denon receiver the other place used a Yamaha Receiver, the Yamaha sounded fantastic.

That is a pointless comparison as the setup and acoustics in the two places have an inordinately greater influence on the sound than will the AVRs. Let's just say that you did not hear a difference between the AVRs.

·
Registered
22,501 Posts
I'll chime in with the notion that the TYPE or brand of room correction is not nearly as important as the care and knowledge involved in using it. Room treatments and speaker placements are easily as important. Then correctly using the setup routine is critical.

So buy the AVR that best suits your needs taking into account features, connections and reliability and specs. Then use whatever setup routine that AVR offers, and use it correctly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts