AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a theater room and have most everything other than the receiver picked out. My room 14'4" X 12'. Components are:

- Paradigm CC390 Center Channel

- Paradigm Monitor 9 Fronts

- Paradigm ADP390 surrounds

The speakers can obviously handle a lot of power (200 watts), but they obviously won't need to be fully utilized in a room my size. I do however like loud movies!

I'm considering the following receivers (want to stay under $1k)

- Onkyo 806

- Integra DTR 30.1

- Yamaha RX-V3800

I'd appreciate input on these and any others you'd reccomend. I have a PS3, blu-ray, and Dish HD.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbury021 /forum/post/16912266

I'm working on a theater room and have most everything other than the receiver picked out. My room 14'4" X 12'. Components are:

The speakers can obviously handle a lot of power (200 watts), but they obviously won't need to be fully utilized in a room my size. I do however like loud movies!

- Onkyo 806

- Integra DTR 30.1

- Yamaha RX-V3800

I'd appreciate input on these and any others you'd reccomend. I have a PS3, blu-ray, and Dish HD.

Thanks in advance!!

The 806 is a good choice, might check to see if you can find an 876 in your price range, big jump in performance.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myerss /forum/post/16912514

The 806 is a good choice, might check to see if you can find an 876 in your price range, big jump in performance.

Yea, I managed to get an 876 (refurb) from shoponkyo.com for under $1k, so it definitely can be done.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the problems with the Onkyo (particularly 806) overblown? I hear a lot of how it was a downgrade from the 805, has the blue dots problem, etc. That was my only fear in going with the Onkyo.

I was actually leaning toward the Integra, but considering the speakers wasn't sure if 90 watts per channel would cause lesser quality at louder volumes.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
14,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbury021 /forum/post/16913066

Are the problems with the Onkyo (particularly 806) overblown? I hear a lot of how it was a downgrade from the 805, has the blue dots problem, etc. That was my only fear in going with the Onkyo.

I was actually leaning toward the Integra, but considering the speakers wasn't sure if 90 watts per channel would cause lesser quality at louder volumes.

Thanks again!

I have heard of issues with the 806 but I have not owned one. You could check the 806 owners thread to see what issues there might be. I would suggest the refurbed 876 in silver which is available on shoponkyo for $100.00 less than your maximum budget. Just so you know to get the lowest price at shoponkyo you have to join Club Onkyo which is free

Bill

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
A refurb unit would come with the newest firmware updates. Problems were solved with the 805, 806 that I know of this way. I personally have an 805 and stole it by buying a refurb from shoponkyo.com.

If I had your budget I would of went with the 875. With the downgrade from the 805 to 806 it makes the choice even easier. The differences between the 876 and 806 are greater than the previous year. The HQV Reon chip in the 876 is awesome, Audyssey Multi EQ XT, A much better power section (nice for 4 ohm or hard to drive speakers), etc.

The Pioneer SC-05/07 discounts are also great and they are nice AVRs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. Now I'm leaning toward the 875. I did some quick searching around (granted, not a ton) for the Pioneer, but was unable to find it. Does anyone know where you might find them from reputable dealers (preferably authorized sellers)?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbury021 /forum/post/16915683

Thanks for the replies. Now I'm leaning toward the 875. I did some quick searching around (granted, not a ton) for the Pioneer, but was unable to find it. Does anyone know where you might find them from reputable dealers (preferably authorized sellers)?

The 876 is fine too. That model didn't change from the 875, they added features but kept the good stuff intact.

·
The Village Idiot
9,714 Posts
The 875 can be had here - or get the 876 here - you'll need to join ShopOnkyo to get the best price (silver - $899.00) - the suggested Marantz 8001-2 are both fine AVRs as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And I take it all of those receivers would have plenty of power to run my speakers? Is there a minimum wattage I should look for?

I had heard somewhere that Marantz wasn't all that great at mids. It was from a guy trying to sell Integra though... false information?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbury021 /forum/post/16920375

And I take it all of those receivers would have plenty of power to run my speakers? Is there a minimum wattage I should look for?

I had heard somewhere that Marantz wasn't all that great at mids. It was from a guy trying to sell Integra though... false information?

In my mind, receivers at that level are pretty comparable. You can look at online benchmark tests for receivers in this price range to see what I mean.

Ultimately, the power supply transformer seems to put the biggest limitations on output power.

The Pioneer SC-07 that someone suggested might out out a bit more power because it's class D design is more efficient.

I should note that Onkyo has put up some nice numbers on some of the benchmarks I have seen. I have to say I am impressed. Not that I think Yamaha is inadequate, but you can't deny that Onkyo is a nice bang for the buck. I just prefer Yamaha as I am familiar with the product.

One thing to note is that your rapidly hit the law of diminishing returns for output power. That's because it takes double the power for a 3 dB gain. So unless you look at a benchmark and see double the power from one to another receiver, don't expect big differences in max SPL.

Really, for movies at reasonable volumes in reasonable rooms with reasonable speakers (sorry) you should expect great results, IMO. The only receivers I don't like are the budget models because they are sometimes pretty weak (like 30 watts / channel all channels driven.)

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Well, I have not measured all these receivers myself. But based on benchmarks I have seen, receivers in the price class should be pretty comparable, power-wise.

Some might work better with lower impedance speakers, or speakers with impedance dips. That's common thinking, anyways
Actual tests are uncommon

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So now i see the Denon AVR-989 for a great price. Is this a comparable receiver? Specs look great and looking through the threads, I couldn't find any significant problems.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbury021 /forum/post/16947058

So now i see the Denon AVR-989 for a great price. Is this a comparable receiver? Specs look great and looking through the threads, I couldn't find any significant problems.

Thoughts?

That AVR is comparable to anything in your price range. Seems to be loaded with features and has plenty of power.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the reply! I pulled the trigger. I have read that it can only convert video passed through analog. Will that adversely affect me if I hook up my Wii? Everything else will be HDMI, so no worries there!

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbury021 /forum/post/16947749

Thanks for the reply! I pulled the trigger. I have read that it can only convert video passed through analog. Will that adversely affect me if I hook up my Wii? Everything else will be HDMI, so no worries there!

Isn't your WII analog? No problems because that is what you need this AVR to do anyway. Good luck and hope everything works as you want.

·
Registered
928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbury021 /forum/post/16912266

- Onkyo 806

- Integra DTR 30.1

- Yamaha RX-V3800

Thanks in advance!!

just sent u a pm...

alan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts