AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace the 8 year old Yamaha setup I have powering my home theater. I've not got a lot of money to spend, so I have really been limiting the scope of options. There are 2 recievers that I have found but would like to get the general consensus of the more educated (thats you all :) ).

I really liked the HK 135 that I listened to, and found that I can get a refurb HK 230 for the same price (~225). The differences I see are that the 230 has higher wattaged (50 over 40), more composite inputs, and the EZ set remote/spl thingy. The reviews I have read for the 230 are generally great, as are the 135.

I have a mid sized living room, and will probably be getting a 6.1 JBL or HK speaker set for whatever I choose AMP wise.

Any suggestions and guidance would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The power differences are not so much that you are likely to hear a difference, so choose the one that has the features and inputs you want. These are both 6.1 models; I think you have to move up to the 330/335 to get 7.1. If you plan to use the component video switching, check which ones has the wider bandwidth for that. The other thing I would want is full preouts, so you can use an external amp if you decide you want more power. I am not sure that either of these models have that feature, so again moving up to the 330/335 or higher will give you that. Compare prices at harmanaudio.com (specials) and the H/k eBay store.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.