AVS Forum banner

2001 - 2020 of 2067 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Man, I thought I'd check the "deals" thread for kicks and giggles.

Is $700 JUST for a receiver a good deal? It sounds like all of the new technology completely sucks and fails in 10 years. You're out $100/year at that rate for the cost of appreciation and foregone investing. What are these manufacturers smoking?
Lol.
I am sure you also did the same math about getting married and arrived at the same conclusion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
People spend thousands of dollars on computers, thousands of dollars on smartphones and you'd be lucky to get 10 years out of them. An AVR is just like those pieces of high tech - there is always something new coming down to obsolete your unit.

10 year old receivers can't do 4k, nevermind 8k, high frame rates, variable frame rates, object based audio (Atmos and dtsX). So if you didn't change anything in 10 years and didn't want to upgrade, then it would be a concern, otherwise you'd have changed out your equipment so it doesn't matter if it only lasts 10 years if you only use it for 5 and replace it.
However I would argue that - and this is if you like having good sound and tech all around the house , AV/AR ‘s can be used a bit longer down the road than other bits of tech

·
Registered
171 Posts
Anyone know of any deals on the Marantz SR5014 ? It looks like it's the least expensive (at regular price) avr in the Denon/Marantz family with pre-out's so it caught my eye. Besides the small cyclops display is there any real negative's? I fine with being a 7 channel avr. Only other AVR's I've been looking at is the Denon avr-x2600h, x3500h, and x3600h. I'm hoping with in the next month or two some of these will be in stock and on sale, since the fm tuner in my Denon avr-x1400h doesn't work most of the time, and I actually like to listen to fm radio. Sorry, for getting a bit off topic.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
For Marantz not much out there except this 7013 for $1599 at Crutchfield.

For Denon they have the 4500 on sale for $1299.

·
Registered
61 Posts
For Marantz not much out there except this 7013 for $1599 at Crutchfield.

For Denon they have the 4500 on sale for $1299.
This pricing is shamefully inflated and consumer hostile, mildly expressed. I thought Sweden was exceptional western world banana republic where people are ripped off by greedy retail monopoly.

·
Premium Member
This spot for sale or rent.
5,277 Posts
This pricing is shamefully inflated and consumer hostile, mildly expressed. I thought Sweden was exceptional western world banana republic where people are ripped off by greedy retail monopoly.
In America at least, Denon/Marantz sets a MSRP. They can only advertise this price. Some dealers will discount if you call them or via email, but by contract with Denon/Marantz they can't advertise a lower price unless there is an official sale going on. A good way to spot an unauthorized dealer is if they are advertising a price that doesn't match MSRP.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Denon is offering some refurbished receivers directly on their site at prices matching or less than you see at A4L, with free delivery and 60-day returns.
AVR-S540BT, AVR-S650H, AVR-S750H, AVR-S950H

Marantz doesn't seem to have an analogous page.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The stock on receivers is pretty bad right now. I'm glad I picked something up from eBay a few weeks ago. It's going to be a while before there are any killer deals out there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The stock on receivers is pretty bad right now. I'm glad I picked something up from eBay a few weeks ago. It's going to be a while before there are any killer deals out there.
1. Will you get D&M warranty which is valid in your area, in case you need to repair failed unit ?

2. The most attractive start bidding is on a very few older higher end AVR's which already have been in use for several years, which means the increased risk of hardware failure, and we all are aware of the insane heat development property with Denon/Marantz units.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
@justinlovenow I do not believe the warranty on DM (most other name brands) are transferable? Ebay is a buyer beware type of thing, unless it comes from a DM authorized seller.

I would check these first...
AVS classifieds (Audio Gear)
Audiogon
Accessories 4 less
world wide stereo
listen up
JD Smoothie here on this forum is a dealer too, IIRC?

·
Registered
31 Posts
1. Will you get D&M warranty which is valid in your area, in case you need to repair failed unit ?

2. The most attractive start bidding is on a very few older higher end AVR's which already have been in use for several years, which means the increased risk of hardware failure, and we all are aware of the insane heat development property with Denon/Marantz units.

Any thoughts?

I got an X4300H for $740. That's $250 better than I had seen refurb 4500s going for, $450 better than new, and for my purposes there is no meaningful difference in the features between the 4300/4400/4500. $250 is enough compensation for the added risk of taking a loss.

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
1,700 Posts

Well, its supply and demand in action. It also opens up the opportunity for you to start manufacturing your own receiver and start raking in the big bucks. So, when can you start shipping as we all are looking for a cheap receiver?

Reactions: Pusher1

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got an X4300H for $740. That's $250 better than I had seen refurb 4500s going for, $450 better than new, and for my purposes there is no meaningful difference in the features between the 4300/4400/4500. $250 is enough compensation for the added risk of taking a loss.
From reading the D&M AVR tech spec the eARC/HDMI is supported by Denon models starting from 6400 4500 3600 and onwards, and Marantz models starting from 7013 6014 and onwards ?

Can be a decisive feature if you want AVR connection with your 2019/2020 TV display using the eARC/HDMI.

I have been looking for all the above mentioned D&M models: 6400 4500 3600 7013 6014

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, its supply and demand in action. It also opens up the opportunity for you to start manufacturing your own receiver and start raking in the big bucks. So, when can you start shipping as we all are looking for a cheap receiver?
Hej mr death-no-13-silly-questions-forever!

thanks a lot for another of your highly helpful post. You must be a genius, economist ? You maybe even have Nobel Prize in economy ? No wonder you have produced 1628 posts already in such a short time, since 2019. Have you considered writing thick books in economics (and industry management) instead ?

BTW, is the "Pusher1" your alter-ego liking your own replies ?

2001 - 2020 of 2067 Posts