AVS Forum banner

2181 - 2200 of 2215 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
For a Zone 2 application, the Audiosource AD1002 would be fine. But for use in a HT, I’d save up and go with a higher quality amp. There’s are several used Emotiva amps for sale on eBay. Some even have transferable warranties. Look for a BasX 150 (3 available), 300 and 500. The 300 would be perfect for your use. But it is more money. Those amp retail for $299, $399 and $499.
So the 300 retails for $399? So used on ebay maybe it will be the same as a new Audiosource AD1002?

Edit: Bidding is not done on a lot of them, but it looks like they will all sell used for the same price as you said they retail new. I wonder if there are bots bidding up these things that seems weird.

What is "zone 2"? I need to use this for 7.x.4 atmos along with a x4500h denon receiver. Will the Audiosource AD1002 work for that, or does anyone know other budget options? I'm not spending $300+ for the two channel amp. The whole point of getting the x4500h instead of the x6500h (which I think amplifies two more channels) for like $700 more was to save money. Even after a $200 amp, that's $500 savings. But if I spend $400 or $500 on a two channel amp, I start to wonder if I made a mistake. Especially if Im buying the amp used. Maybe I could have just gotten the x6500h used.

Anyway, it's the sunk cost fallacy so it's probably a waste of time to think about. Bottom line, Im happy to buy used, but what would you recommend $300 max, ideally $175 - $250.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I use a Zone 2 with my 4500 for a pair of speakers on my back porch. The Emotiva amp powers those speakers. My main HT system is a 5.1.4 Atmos system. Cost wise for my application, it was less expensive to go with the 4500 plus an external amp than buy a 6500. My concern about the Audiosource AD1002 for your application is the low power and how it will sound in a main HT system. I’ve read some reviews which said it wasn’t a good fit for a HT system since colored or muddied the sound. Maybe it would work for your system. But I’d buy from a place where you return it in case it didn’t.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
For a Zone 2 application, the Audiosource AD1002 would be fine. But for use in a HT, I’d save up and go with a higher quality amp. There’s are several used Emotiva amps for sale on eBay. Some even have transferable warranties. Look for a BasX 150 (3 available), 300 and 500. The 300 would be perfect for your use. But it is more money. Those amp retail for $299, $399 and $499.
The A-300 (MSRP $399) has 25 min left and after shipping is at $388 used. This 2.7% discount from new is pretty ****ing awful. But at least I am convinced Emotiva amps hold their value...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The price people sometimes pay for items on eBay makes no sense, especially when you can buy the same item new for around same amount. Glad I’m not suffering from that affliction.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Why are AVRs so hard to find now? I find none on the shelves at PC Richards or Best Buy and there's only a few online that's available to buy. I'm trying to order the Yamaha RX-V385BL and a lot of online retailers don't have them available. What's going on? Are AVRs becoming obsolete?

·
Premium Member
This spot for sale or rent.
5,548 Posts
Why are AVRs so hard to find now? I find none on the shelves at PC Richards or Best Buy and there's only a few online that's available to buy. I'm trying to order the Yamaha RX-V385BL and a lot of online retailers don't have them available. What's going on? Are AVRs becoming obsolete?
Probably two things at play here:
People are stuck at home due to Covid, especially the upper middle class people that can afford a solid system, so sales are up.
Also, there are supply issues also due to Covid, so some manufacturers can't keep up with the increased demand.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
The price people sometimes pay for items on eBay makes no sense, especially when you can buy the same item new for around same amount. Glad I’m not suffering from that affliction.
You wonder if sellers dont have bot accounts bidding up their items, and any time no real buyer overbids the item, they just sell it to themselves and start over, or cancel the deal with themselves and relist. I dont know how ebay fees work or if they can do this, but I just wonder about it given what you're talking about. What buyer who knows enough about an item to chase one down on ebay and bid on it doesn't also know enough about the item to google and see that it's available new with warranty for less cost? If it happened every once in awhile, that's normal, but for it to happen so often makes you wonder.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Sometimes the new item just isn't available locally so they can't buy new. Or their local stores have overpriced the item so much that the new price is still a steal. Or the local distributors simply can't get the stock in for months. Or the item just isn't available.

Most authorized distributors will not ship a new product out of the country. Secondhand sellers would be more than happy to sell especially since it's easy on eBay to do it.

Heck, being in Canada I've seen it all - and it can be much easier buying it from eBay than dealing with the one and only retailer authorized to sell. Or no authorized sellers carry the model you want, and if you special order it, it's final sale and overpriced.

If you're in the US it's easy as everyone has everything. I know because I have a US address to ship stuff to and it makes life easy. Except when the border is closed and you can't visit your mailbox. Sucks, but that is the reality of the situation. You often see it on eBay auctions too - the US only ones often only go for well under half what international shipping auctions do, even if they only do it via the eBay re shipper.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Sometimes the new item just isn't available locally so they can't buy new. Or their local stores have overpriced the item so much that the new price is still a steal. Or the local distributors simply can't get the stock in for months. Or the item just isn't available.

Most authorized distributors will not ship a new product out of the country. Secondhand sellers would be more than happy to sell especially since it's easy on eBay to do it.

Heck, being in Canada I've seen it all - and it can be much easier buying it from eBay than dealing with the one and only retailer authorized to sell. Or no authorized sellers carry the model you want, and if you special order it, it's final sale and overpriced.

If you're in the US it's easy as everyone has everything. I know because I have a US address to ship stuff to and it makes life easy. Except when the border is closed and you can't visit your mailbox. Sucks, but that is the reality of the situation. You often see it on eBay auctions too - the US only ones often only go for well under half what international shipping auctions do, even if they only do it via the eBay re shipper.
That makes sense. My comment was based on the belief that most ebay sellers wont ship international, otherwise I would have theorized what you are saying before thinking it might be bot or alt accounts of the seller bidding up items.

But if it's true that most of them will ship electronics overseas, then your explanation is probably the correct one, not mine. Just the few times I bought electronics off ebay, they usually said they only ship within the US, but it's a small sample size so your explanation is probably the correct one, not mine, at least in most cases.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Anyone recommend Denon refurbished receivers? I see some pretty good deals on some and could save a lot of money if they are rock solid. Anyone know if they work well or if they're too risky to take a chance?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Anyone recommend Denon refurbished receivers? I see some pretty good deals on some and could save a lot of money if they are rock solid. Anyone know if they work well or if they're too risky to take a chance?
I'm not the person to ask, but sometimes I see these questions before the people to ask do, so, I will give it a shot...

I was researching new receivers in probably the same price range, comparing brands like Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, etc, and for around the $1,000 price range, it seemed everyone was recommending Denon except a few people liked Marantz. Whereas for the $300 - $400 ones on sale, the Yamaha TSR-700 was recommended over the competing Denon by most people.

So I would say $300 - $400, go Yamaha, but for closer to $1,000, Denon is the most recommended choice.

The only other advice I got was that, at least the new models might be more buggy, but in terms of the best audio processing and sound, if you are willing to spend more, or if you can find a deal, the Anthem receivers have the best audio quality. But, at least the new ones, have bug problems. The prior model, I did not hear about whether it has bugs or not, but I did hear it still has the best audio.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I'm not the person to ask, but sometimes I see these questions before the people to ask do, so, I will give it a shot...

I was researching new receivers in probably the same price range, comparing brands like Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, etc, and for around the $1,000 price range, it seemed everyone was recommending Denon except a few people liked Marantz. Whereas for the $300 - $400 ones on sale, the Yamaha TSR-700 was recommended over the competing Denon by most people.

So I would say $300 - $400, go Yamaha, but for closer to $1,000, Denon is the most recommended choice.

The only other advice I got was that, at least the new models might be more buggy, but in terms of the best audio processing and sound, if you are willing to spend more, or if you can find a deal, the Anthem receivers have the best audio quality. But, at least the new ones, have bug problems. The prior model, I did not hear about whether it has bugs or not, but I did hear it still has the best audio.

Hope this helps!
Best audio quality is totally subjective. I have owned Anthem and many many others. I sold Anthem MRX 720 because I was so disappointed in the sound. Got Marantz SR8012 and still have in a secondary system.
Main system is Lexicon RV-9. It has better sound than any of the dozens of AVR's and processors I have owned.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Best audio quality is totally subjective. I have owned Anthem and many many others. I sold Anthem MRX 720 because I was so disappointed in the sound. Got Marantz SR8012 and still have in a secondary system.
Main system is Lexicon RV-9. It has better sound than any of the dozens of AVR's and processors I have owned.
Good looking out. I was just trying to relay what people had told me. I don't even have my own subjective opinion of them, let alone objective one. You are 100% correct that it is subjective.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

Hope this helps!
But what about refurbished products in general? That was what my question was leaning towards. If I were to get a Yamaha or Denon, is it better to spend the money on a new one or are refurbished ones just as good and worth checking out due to the lower price tag? The reason I ask is because I see some refurbished ones on Amazon and on Denon's website for almost $100 less. With that savings, I can afford to go up a tier or two and get a better receiver rather than settle for a lower tier one.

Many people swear by refurbished products as they are supposedly well tested, but I remember at the last job I worked at, we had two identical HP printers in our office. One was brand new and the second one was refurbished. The refurbished one was always jamming up and making all sorts of weird noises. So that's why I've always been very leery about getting something refurbished.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
But what about refurbished products in general? That was what my question was leaning towards. If I were to get a Yamaha or Denon, is it better to spend the money on a new one or are refurbished ones just as good and worth checking out due to the lower price tag? The reason I ask is because I see some refurbished ones on Amazon and on Denon's website for almost $100 less. With that savings, I can afford to go up a tier or two and get a better receiver rather than settle for a lower tier one.

Many people swear by refurbished products as they are supposedly well tested, but I remember at the last job I worked at, we had two identical HP printers in our office. One was brand new and the second one was refurbished. The refurbished one was always jamming up and making all sorts of weird noises. So that's why I've always been very leery about getting something refurbished.
I see what you're asking now. Sorry if I misunderstood. For this question, not only do I not have personal experience like with the question as I interpreted it originally, but with this one I also have not heard many opinions of other people that I can tell you either. So I cannot tell you if refurbished A/V receivers are held to a higher standard than your printer example, or if you are risking the same thing.

All I can tell you is that the refurbished ones come with a 1 year warranty, while buying used usually comes with zero. So if you had a problem like with that printer, as long as it didnt show up until after 1 year, maybe you could get a replacement or get it fixed for free, although I have no experience how difficult they make that.

I was told that at some point over the years, around the time of maybe the Denon 4300 or after, he wasn't sure, Denon went from manufacturing their units in Japan, to manufacturing them in Vietnam, and that this is why, this person said, there are so many Denon refurbs available, because the new manufacturing is not as good so a lot of them break. However, I asked and he said it's no different with Denon's competing brands, so while Denon may break more often than they used to, they still don't break any more often than the other options available in the price range, or something.

And do the refurbs get repaired in Japan, or Vietnam, I have no idea. I think he said only the Denon x8500 or whatever the highest one is gets made in Japan still, or maybe he said the 6700 and 8500, Im not sure. I think on accessories4less, the ones still made in Japan have a stamp behind their picture that says "made in Japan." And they are generally the more expensive models but maybe one of the Marantz was made in Japan that was close to $1,000 refurbed, I dont remember.

That's all I know. Sorry I can't be more help.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
YMMV, but I've had good experiences getting refurbished and open-box receivers (mostly Denons) and wouldn't hesitate to do it again for the right price.
One way to look at it is this - If you can get a better-than-new warranty on a refurbished item for less than a new one, then it's probably a bargain. Otherwise, consider a new one.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
8012 in a secondary system?

::wipes drool from chin::

Actually considering springing for an 8012 (for my only system). Would you recommend or get something newer if you had to do over? Its above the top of my budget but its within reach...

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
My friend is willing to order through Costco and found this Denon receiver for $400. Anyone recommend this over the RX-V385BL?
For sure. Basic Audyssey is better than basic YPAO, in my experience.

I have the older S740H and like it a lot. It's subjective, but I like its sound better than Yamaha RX-V471 it replaced.

Reactions: MrHT

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
For sure. Basic Audyssey is better than basic YPAO, in my experience.

I have the older S740H and like it a lot. It's subjective, but I like its sound better than Yamaha RX-V471 it replaced.
Awesome, thanks. I figured that would be a lot better. Good thing I didn't order the Yamaha yet and waited. Even better that it has an extra HDMI port. And it's only $400 too. What a bargain! Good thing my friend let me use his login.

2181 - 2200 of 2215 Posts