AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a "lower-end" denon (2803) or integra (DTR 7.3) receiver, and using it with a power amp such as the Outlaw 7100 to bi-amp a set of Paradigm reference speakers (7 channels).

One of the attractions is having 8 channel analog in, since I will likely be using this in a HTPC setup. The Outlaw 950 didn't have this. It seems like the bi-amping is a nice bi-product of the whole thing.

I had been considering the Integra 9.1U, since I can get it from a local dealer for $2250, but I noticed there are a few features on the lower end Integras that are lacking on the 9.1U.

Am I missing something, or is this a decent approach to the "problem"?

Thanks!

Eric.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Eric,

Just to clarify...were you considering the 9.1U as a standalone vs. a less expensive receiver/amp combo?

I'm not sure what missing features you are referring to but features are only important if they have relevance to your usage. I would assume from your post that a priority for you is sound quality. While some consider bi-amping overkill...or at the very most a marginal performance perk...I certainly think you are on the right track. Quality speakers always derive some benefit from clean, abundant power. I have found this to be true with both active and passive bi-amping.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm comparing the 9.1 as a standalone to the 8.3+external amp. The missing features include network connectivity, and a few other bells and whistles like upconverting composite to svideo (which I am likely to use).

Does anyone with an Integra use it with an external amp? Can I use the internal amp and an external one at the same time?

Thanks,

Eric.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.