AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'm planning for building a system for both home theater and music. To have better sound for music without influencing the home decor too much, here is my current plan for a 5.1.2 system:

Left and Right: Klipsch Forte IV
Center: PRO-180RPC LCR
Rears: Not selected yet
Atmos: Not selected yet
Subwoofer: Not selected yet
AVR: Marantz SR7015

For the AVR, I think all the speakers I'm looking at have high sensitivity, I guess SR 7015 would be enough for HT. But for the music, would it be worth having an amp for the Forte IV to get better sound? or just upgrade the AVR to Denon 6700h?

I really appreciate your help in advance!
I also attached my floor plan with the location of the speakers I'm thinking of now.

EDIT
Thanks for all the feedback! I would forget the in-ceiling center and rears. I would appreciate it if anyone can give me suggestions on:
1. Any recommendations on the center and rear speakers which would well pair with the Fortes?
2. If this is the case, would it be worth it for me to upgrade to a 5.1.4 system?
3. For the sub, would the in-ceiling or in-wall sub perform well?

UPDATE
This is the 5.1.2 system I'm thinking of, any feedback would be appreciated!

Center: RC-64III
L/R: Forte IV
Rears: RP-502S
Atmos: PRO-180RPC-LCR
Sub: SVS SB16-ultra
Receiver: Denon 6700H

Rectangle Font Technology Diagram Parallel

Attachments

·
Registered
13,455 Posts
What is your percentage of HT vs music listening? If HT is any sort of priority at all, do not even consider an in-ceiling center speaker.

You'll be just fine with the SR 7015, no external amp needed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What is your percentage of HT vs music listening? If HT is any sort of priority at all, do not even consider an in-ceiling center speaker.

^ this 100%

Since I'm still using a TV, I tried the usual compromise of a sideways center speaker just below the TV but even that height difference between the center and FL/FR was too jarring for me. I went back to the TV being too high (with matching towers for LCR) because that's still less jarring to me than having the front stage not all at ear level. Putting any of the front LCR up in the ceiling - especially the center - would destroy any hope of an immersive movie-watching experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for your reply! I would get rid of the in-ceiling center and rear, and just wondering do you have any recommendation of the center and rear to pair with the Fortes?
Also, it would be like 60% HT and 40% music for me, do you think the SR 7015 would still be good enough? or would 6700H be better?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ this 100%

Since I'm still using a TV, I tried the usual compromise of a sideways center speaker just below the TV but even that height difference between the center and FL/FR was too jarring for me. I went back to the TV being too high (with matching towers for LCR) because that's still less jarring to me than having the front stage not all at ear level. Putting any of the front LCR up in the ceiling - especially the center - would destroy any hope of an immersive movie-watching experience.
Thanks for sharing! I would go with LCR and rear at the ear level for sure.

·
Registered
88 Posts
unless you are listening to all channels at the same time for music, or some sort of matrix music mode, you should be fine with the AV unit. Marantz makes some pretty fantastic pieces of equipment and should power the LR just fine in direct or stereo mode.

Now thinking backwards, you might actually benefit more from separate amp for HT use, since you are driving more channels all at the same time. I would roll with an Emotiva XPA-3, or Monolith amp and call it a day. ATI builds the Monolith amps and they are like tanks. Outlaw audio also has some good ones.

center if you have the room - probably Kilpsch RP-504C to match the brand. Not necessary, but I'm a snob like that when it comes to matching haha. If you dont care, then do with SVS ultra center

use the in ceilings as atmos speakers - probably a 4 speaker setup, 2 speakers 1/3 of the way in the front and then 2 speakers 1/3 away from the rear wall.

for surrounds - look at SVS ultra surrounds. or Klipsch RP-502s.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unless you are listening to all channels at the same time for music, or some sort of matrix music mode, you should be fine with the AV unit. Marantz makes some pretty fantastic pieces of equipment and should power the LR just fine in direct or stereo mode.

Now thinking backwards, you might actually benefit more from separate amp for HT use, since you are driving more channels all at the same time. I would roll with an Emotiva XPA-3, or Monolith amp and call it a day. ATI builds the Monolith amps and they are like tanks. Outlaw audio also has some good ones.
Thank you so much! Then I would just keep SR7015 for now. And maybe consider upgrading with an extra amp in the future

center if you have the room - probably Kilpsch RP-504C to match the brand. Not necessary, but I'm a snob like that when it comes to matching haha. If you dont care, then do with SVS ultra center
I'm in the same boat as you. I would prefer to match the brand. For the center, would you think RC-64 worth the double price of RP-504C?

use the in ceilings as atmos speakers - probably a 4 speaker setup, 2 speakers 1/3 of the way in the front and then 2 speakers 1/3 away from the rear wall.
So you're suggesting a 5.1.4 system, correct? I'm wondering would it make much difference between 5.1.2 as my couch leaning just against the wall?

Thank you again for your help!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thank you so much! Then I would just keep SR7015 for now. And maybe consider upgrading with an extra amp in the future

I'm in the same boat as you. I would prefer to match the brand. For the center, would you think RC-64 worth the double price of RP-504C?

So you're suggesting a 5.1.4 system, correct? I'm wondering would it make much difference between 5.1.2 as my couch leaning just against the wall?

Thank you again for your help!
No problem!

Yes try it out now and see if you really need an additional amp? You may find out you're just fine without.

as far as the center goes I just dont know enough about the Klipsch centers. Double the price probably not double performance. Closer match to your LR channels? Yes for sure. Center channel is the single most important speaker for HT, with LR channels a close second ( not including a quality sub ) . If you can afford it, go for it - seems like it has stellar reviews

I would most certainly go through the hastle of installing 4 atmos channels, even if you dont think youll need it. That way they are already there and you dont have to go back and rewire/install at a later date. The front overhead will give an effect that one single plane of speakers cannot achieve - esp with audessy room correction and processing.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have 4 Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR's being used for Atmos. Just so I'm clear, you're going to get regular L & R speakers, then take the most used and important speaker, by far, your center, and stick it in the ceiling? If you're planning on using it for movies, nix that idea immediately.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have 4 Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR's being used for Atmos. Just so I'm clear, you're going to get regular L & R speakers, then take the most used and important speaker, by far, your center, and stick it in the ceiling? If you're planning on using it for movies, nix that idea immediately.
The OP has since decided to go with a traditional center and surrounds as well

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No problem!

Yes try it out now and see if you really need an additional amp? You may find out you're just fine without.

as far as the center goes I just dont know enough about the Klipsch centers. Double the price probably not double performance. Closer match to your LR channels? Yes for sure. Center channel is the single most important speaker for HT, with LR channels a close second ( not including a quality sub ) . If you can afford it, go for it - seems like it has stellar reviews

I would most certainly go through the hastle of installing 4 atmos channels, even if you dont think youll need it. That way they are already there and you dont have to go back and rewire/install at a later date. The front overhead will give an effect that one single plane of speakers cannot achieve - esp with audessy room correction and processing.
Sounds great. I would go with RC-64 for sure lol. Really appreciate your reply!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Oh and here is a thread about that versus a Denon
Choosing between Denon AVRX4700H and Marantz SR7015. What should I get?
Understand that due to the logarithmic nature of hearing, if you add an amp, to have really more power you need like over 300 watts at FOUR ohms (even if the speakers are 8, since speakers are NOT resistors). And also, since even unused amp channels are typically energized and producing some waste heat, you should get yourself one of these Component Cooling - Component Fan Systems - AC Infinity to show mercy on your AVR.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
For your center channel speaker, I suggest you consider a 3 way model: best values currently are Emotiva C1+, C2+, Monoprice THX 365C and if available the Infinity RC263C on sale its a no brainer, and even at list (499) it is still a good value based upon performance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts