AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-

I've tried searching through the forums and googling for information on how much power do home theater equipment consume; found very little.

In general, do receivers consume a lot of power like an in-window air conditioner? How about if I were to turn on a projector, receiver and speaker system? Any information would be helpful.

I found out the hard way last summer that I cannot watch films for more than 2-3 hours at a time, with the projector AND air conditioner on at the same time. I blew a fuse, it's an old building what can I say. I don't want to have to switch the video cables between my dvd player, playstation2 and gamecube to the projector, every time I want to use one of them.

What I have in my possession so far, if it helps:

-CyberHome CH-DVD300S DVD Player (has component ports and is progressive scan)

-InFocus SP5000 HD-Ready LCD Home Theater Projector (poor 2 watt speaker within)

-Sony SRS-D5100 5.1 Gaming Speaker System (better than nothing, will use this until I can get better equipment)

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
What amp circuit is your equipment on? Anything other than an amplifier isn't going to use much current, and most of the time a typical receiver amp isn't going to use a whole lot of current either. You may have a faulty AC unit which is drawing too much current.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Don't keep your air conditioner on the same circuit as your receiver and projector. If you can't do that, or if there are no other circuits available, try and get permission to add a dedicated outlet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
usually as a rule of thumb (at moderate listening volumes), CRT TVs consume the most amount of Amps (hence more power P=VxI) and then revievers. I have a power conditioner that tells me the amps flowing through the power conditioner and so i can tell that the amp breakdown is as follows for my rig

Rotel RSX 1067 --> 1-3 amps

Sony XBR960 --> 3 amps

Media center PC -->1.2 - 2 amps

and if the volume is cranked all the way (well not really) the amp usage of the reciever jumps up to 6.

thanks heavens i have a 20Amp all outlet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.