AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) I have a denon 1802 reciever. I read that the crossover is fixed at 80hz. Does that mean it's pointless to by speakers that go lower than 80hz since anything below that is sent to the sub?

2) I just got some DefTech Pro 200's. Their freq. response is 38hz-20khz. I set my reciver to Large for those speakers. Is that the correct settng?

3) Do all subs disable their internal crossover when using the LFE connector? Is this good or bad?

4) anyone know where I can learn from the beginning?

thanks

Joe

·
Registered
275 Posts
Joe,

Welcome to HT, I think all of us in this forum understand how you feel, just remember to take your time and do a lot of research, searches and printing.

I'm not an expert on the cross over, so I will let the guys who now about this answer your questions.

A good place to start to learn about HT is of course this forum, but also check:

audioreview.com, they have a HT or audio 101 section.

hometheatermagazine.com, they also have a HT 101 section.

Good luck.

Carlos

·
Premium Member
3,831 Posts
A few items to mention:

- A quoted frequency range for a speaker doesn't mean much. Any speaker can reproduce low frequencies (even a tweeter)... what's important is how linear it is as volume increases. A speaker may be able to play 40Hz at 70dB (with minimum distortion) but may fail miserably when trying the same tone at 100dB.

- A crossover point is not a seamless transition. Each speaker (or driver) will start to roll off at that frequency (at a rate based on it's order). I think the Denon's roll off at 24dB/Octave (which means a 40Hz tone will be 24dB softer than an 80Hz tone on your main speakers if you set them to small).

- A sub's internal crossover is typically NOT disabled when you use the LFE connection. If you're using the crossover in your receiver, set the sub's crossover to it's highest setting.

- Setting your speakers to 'small' will route all bass information below 80Hz to your subwoofer. Setting your speakers to large will route only the LFE bass to the sub (all other bass is sent to the appropriate channel).

Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.