AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered where Denon owners listening level is at.

I have a 3806 with a LPA-1 driving Def Tech Speakers. Room is 24' x 32" (using half as home theater but no dividing wall).

I typically watch a movie (Toshiba HD-A1 or PS3 both hooked HDMI) at -10 to -5 on Denon. I am wondering if that is where everyone else is at.

I am curious for the sake of getting a larger amp.

Also, after talking with Lonnie at Emotiva, he suggested a line booster out of the Denon as a possible way of getting more out.

What level is your volume at and are most receiver volume levels standard to make comparisons?

I also understand that it is subjective as far as speaker levels. I have adjusted using Avia.

LF 0

C +7

RF +1.5

RS +2

RBS's + 10

LS +1.5

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro /forum/post/0

I have a 3806 with a LPA-1 driving Def Tech Speakers. Room is 24' x 32" (using half as home theater but no dividing wall).

I typically watch a movie (Toshiba HD-A1 or PS3 both hooked HDMI) at -10 to -5 on Denon. I am wondering if that is where everyone else is at.

Also, after talking with Lonnie at Emotiva, he suggested a line booster out of the Denon as a possible way of getting more out.

What level is your volume at and are most receiver volume levels standard to make comparisons?

I also understand that it is subjective as far as speaker levels. I have adjusted using Avia.

LF 0

C +7

RF +1.5

RS +2

RBS's + 10

LS +1.5

If you've balanced your system with an SPL meter, and you are reaching the db levels you desire without overdriving the receiver, pay no attention to the numbers.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I run my receiver at the same volumes, but all of my trims are set at 0dB. +10dB and +7dB seem high, but only because I operate under the crazy belief that anything over 0dB will result in inevitable distortion, even if I can't hear it.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

Quote:

LF 0

C +7

RF +1.5

RS +2

RBS's + 10

LS +1.5

It depends on:

(1) How large is your room;

(2) Efficiency of your speakers;

(3) Where do you put them/how do you set them up in the surround setting;

(4) Room accoustic.

It varies from room to room so even if I tell you my settings they will do you no good. You need a SPL or use the auto setup function that some of the AVRs/pre-processors have to set it up correctly.

Having a bigger amp do have its merits IMHO: it will have better control of your drivers (esp the woofers) of your speakers and it will not clip so easily. Again, it depends on the efficiency of your speakers, the room dimension, etc.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Food for thought. The efficiency is 94 db. The speakers are set to large.

Mains Def Tech 7001

Center CLR2002 (Possible CLR 3000 in future)

Surrounds BP 1.2x

Location towards one corner of the rectangle.

I did a little test last night. In stereo, I was able to achieve sustained 100-101 DB at my listening point 16' feet away. Maybe the knob level is irrelevant.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:

Food for thought. The efficiency is 94 db. The speakers are set to large.

Mains Def Tech 7001

Center CLR2002 (Possible CLR 3000 in future)

Surrounds BP 1.2x

Location towards one corner of the rectangle.

I did a little test last night. In stereo, I was able to achieve sustained 100-101 DB at my listening point 16' feet away. Maybe the knob level is irrelevant.

Exactly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.