AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a lot of reasons I won’t bother to enumerate here, I will probably end up using a receiver instead of separates for a 7.1 system. What I’d like to eventually do is add a dedicated 2ch preamp with a HT bypass plus a separate amp (or monoblocks) for the mains. Is such a setup possible?

From reading the 2ch forum, I realize a lot of folks are using a pre/pro such as the Integra 9.8 in such a manner, but I’m wondering if it’s possible with receivers. If so, exactly what gets connected to what?

Just simply for example purposes, a receiver such as the soon-to-be released Pioneer SC-07 has the following audio inputs and outputs:

1. Zone’s 2 & 3 – Each zone has a pair of RCA outs. Manual says they can be used to connect a second or third amplifier (doesn’t say anything about a pre-amp)

2. Pre-Outs – Pair of RCA’s for Front, Surround, and Surround Back…single RCA each for Sub and Center – Again, manual says they can be used to connect additional amps (nothing about pre-amp).

3. CD-R/Tape (Tape Loop) – Pair of RCA’s out and a pair of RCA’s in. – Manual says to connect source components here.

With all that, it would seem a separate pre-amp w/HT bypass plus separate amps should be able to be connected some kind of way. But never having owned any gear like this before, I’m having a hard time getting my mind wrapped around how to do it. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Sure. If the 2-channel pre has the bypass.

Even if it doesn't, just run the setup for the AVR and use the volume on the 2-channel pre to set the left & right channel levels, make a note of that volume setting and whenever you watch movies, set the 2-channel pre's volume to the calibration level. Just be sure to reduce the volume on the 2-channel pre when switching back to music or you might scare the pets.

I had a B&K 2-channel pre that automatically applied a user-configured preset volume whenever you changed inputs. It was a very cool feature.

Take the pre-outs for the left and right front from the AVR and connect them to one of the 2-channel pre's inputs. This input will be the movie input. The rest are for tuner, CD, phono, tape, etc. Connect the 2-channel's pre-outs to their respective power amps. These are the amps that will power the left and right front speakers. Do not connect the left and right front speakers to the AVR's speaker binding posts. The center and surrounds will be connected to the AVR's binding posts. I'm not sure if you plan on running a subwoofer or whether you'll want to it to augment 2-channel music from the 2-channel pre (if you did want it to augment, that would complicate things with a speaker switchbox). In the simpler setup, you'd run a coaxial cable from the subwoofer output on the AVR to the subwoofer's line-level input. Set the subwoofer's crossover to it's highest setting (or bypass), and let the AVR handle the bass management.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Deplace /forum/post/14248716

Take the pre-outs for the left and right front from the AVR and connect them to one of the 2-channel pre's inputs. This input will be the movie input. The rest are for tuner, CD, phono, tape, etc. Connect the 2-channel's pre-outs to their respective power amps. These are the amps that will power the left and right front speakers. Do not connect the left and right front speakers to the AVR's speaker binding posts.

I think the fog is lifting...but just to be sure, when you say "the rest are for tuner, CD, phono, tape"...I assume you mean the rest of the inputs on the pre are for your analog sources? Then, if you wanted to listen to, say, a multch SACD on a universal player you'd use the inputs on the receiver and put the pre on HT bypass mode?

·
Registered
841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterman /forum/post/14248970

I think the fog is lifting...but just to be sure, when you say "the rest are for tuner, CD, phono, tape"...I assume you mean the rest of the inputs on the pre are for your analog sources? Then, if you wanted to listen to, say, a multch SACD on a universal player you'd use the inputs on the receiver and put the pre on HT bypass mode?

Yes. I should have just said, "your 2-channel sources".

Yes, to the SACD question.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts