Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I need some quick advice. My home was struck by lightning the other day (very minimal damage luckily!). This seems to have had an impact on my stereo setup. My receiver comes on, lights up, etc, etc. But I don't really get any sound out of it. If I turn the volume almost all the way up, and run the test tones, I get absolutely nothing out of the front left and right, and barely a sound (audible, but very low) out of the center and rears. I have not tested the deck speakers and I'm at work now so I will do that when I get home. In your opinion, would this be a receiver problem or a speaker problem? I have no idea what lightning does to these components.

I have a Sony Str-DE receiver - I believe it is an 815 or 825.

Any thoughts/advice would be VERY MUCH appreciated as I'm trying to work with my insurance company on this issue.

Thank you!

Marc

·
Registered
799 Posts
Marc, first thing I would do is unplug the unit and let it sit for ~15 minutes before plug in & power up then check it again.

PF

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info. I have confirmation that it is the receiver. I hooked up my center channel to my old receiver I have laying around and it worked fine. So at least I now know it is the receiver.

I unplugged it for about an hour, and still no luck. I'll have to get it replaced through insurance, or repaired.

Thanks for your advice.

Marc

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Marc...If you can get your insurance company to replace the receiver, do it. I suspect there are many components in your receiver that didn't blow when the lightning struck, but they are now ticking time bombs. Based upon my experience, a receiver hit by lightning gets fixed, works for a while, gets fixed again, works for a while, needs repair again, works for a while...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Paul. My first choice is replacement. If I can swing that with my insurance company, that is the route I'll take. Thanks!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Marc,

Sorry to hear about your receiver. On the next go around it might make sense to invest in a Monster Power conditioner. If for no other reason they provide a very generous insurance policy if your equipment is damaged by an electrical problem while plugged in to their equipment. While I don't live in a area that gets lightning often the power here has gotten pretty bad at times and I like the security of knowing my investment is protected.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I wonder about those surge protector monetary guarantees. Has anyone here collected or know someone who has collected from such a claim? I considered only the integrity of the unit itself when buying and didn't put much weight on the amount of reimbursement if my equipment gets damaged.

Terry

·
Registered
176 Posts
Terry,

I agree with you, the integrity of the unit should be the primary buying criteria however it's nice to know that a company is willing to put it money where it's mouth is. Here is a link where someone was reimbursed by Monster:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...+reimbursement

Cheers,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.