AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most people I am trying to find the best match for what I am attempting to do for the least amount of cash. This will be my first major audio purchase and I have done a significant amount of research to get a grasp on the technology. What I plan on using is S/PDIF pass-through from my sound card using TOSLINK to my receiver. This currently will be the only device connected to my receiver (with no short-term future changes planned). For speakers, I am planning on purchasing the SVS SCS-01 5.0 surround with the PC12-NSD.

For an initial receiver purchase I was planning on purchasing the Pioneer vsx-818v-k. Because I am only planning on using the stated 5.1 with only the one input device, this 120 watt (rated) receiver seems to be my best match. For around $200 bucks this seems like a real deal.

Does anyone have any opinion on Pioneer devices over all?

Is there any major tech I am missing?

Is the sound quality from this receiver okay?

Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also what are the major advantages of the 918 over the 818 as I seem to be able to not see a real difference (Other than 10w rated power per channel)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
did you see the thread regarding pioneers brand new avr's? I think they just came out with a new $200 avr...is this the one you are refering too? I'm not a pioneer person so i did not read that thread.

also, thee must be more than 100thousand posts on this forum regarding opinions of pioneer.....by searching a few of those out you might pick up some good info.

I can't believe that amp that you are looking at has 120wats into 5 channels at 8ohms...that kind of false advertising would be enough to steer me aay from pioneer

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Few receivers I have seen are rated "honestly". Harmon Kardon is the major exception. And I think Pioneer's new ICE based receivers are rated all channels driven.

Blame the FTC, IMO.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ /forum/post/15557412

did you see the thread regarding pioneers brand new avr's? I think they just came out with a new $200 avr...is this the one you are refering too? I'm not a pioneer person so i did not read that thread.

also, thee must be more than 100thousand posts on this forum regarding opinions of pioneer.....by searching a few of those out you might pick up some good info.

I can't believe that amp that you are looking at has 120wats into 5 channels at 8ohms...that kind of false advertising would be enough to steer me aay from pioneer

Two things:

It seemed logical to me that they mass-produce their amps. Using the same sized amp in their lower end 7.1 and 5.1 products probably was more cost effective than making a smaller amp for the 5.1. I suspected that extra watts/channel was a result of having 2 less channels to disperse the power across. I could be wrong as I am completely new at this stuff.

I guess the point of my post is that for my use I don't need video processing or 7.1. I am trying to find a decent audio receiver that will work good through TOSLINK S/PDIF output to the receiver from my one input source the PC.

*I did see the new models from their announced future release. Non of those models appear to be available online or on their website. Also, the older models seem to have been released in/around april. I plan on purchasing within the next 30-45 days and I don't think those new ones will be available yet.

*As for searching the forum for topics. Many people have asked questions about the lower end pioneer receivers. Most of them have 0 replies other than bumps. I realize these are not top-end, kick-ass models that people drool over. For my uses I don't need top-end. Being completely knew to audio I have little understanding of the current tech. I am unable to tell good from bad and thus I ask people more experienced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts