AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i've narrowed my choices down to 2 receivers:

The Harmon Kardon HK 3480 ($150) - 2 channel receiver with no digital optical inputs

The Harmon Kardon HK 3490 ($300) - 2 channel receiver with two digital outputs.

My setup includes a Samsung LCD (LN40A550), an HD cable box and a PS3.

So I can do two things heres...

1) Save money and get the 3480. I'll hook up the cable box and ps3 to the TV via HDMI and then run the audio to the receiver via RCA cables.

2) Buy the 3490 model and run the video from my cable box and ps3 to the tv via HDMI and then the sound to the receiver via optical cables.

My question is, if I shell out the extra money, will I be able to hear the difference with only a 2 channel system between the analog RCA connection and the digital connection? I live in a small apartment so I cannot buy a sub or floorspeakers. The receiver will power up a pair of Klipsch B-2 synergy speakers.

Any input would be great...still deciding what I should be doing. Thanks guys

·
Registered
398 Posts
It's unlikely that the D/A converter in the 3490 is going to be any better than your source components, so you might as well save the $150 and go with the 3480.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
If you never plan to add speakers, then go cheap. However, even the addition of a center channel speaker will greatly improve your movie watching experience and will not bother neighbors any more than the speaker pair, so I would pony up for the 5.1 capable AVR.

Or get the Pioneer VSX-918 or Yamaha RX-V463 for under $300, run HDMI video/audio to the AVR and out to your TV, and forget about other cables.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs /forum/post/15573599

If you never plan to add speakers, then go cheap. However, even the addition of a center channel speaker will greatly improve your movie watching experience and will not bother neighbors any more than the speaker pair, so I would pony up for the 5.1 capable AVR.

Or get the Pioneer VSX-918 or Yamaha RX-V463 for under $300, run HDMI video/audio to the AVR and out to your TV, and forget about other cables.

I'm not too familiar with HDMI switching. How does it work?

How would the connections work if you don't mind me asking? Would I connect the cable box and PS3 to the receiver via HDMI and then HDMI to the TV?

I could get the matching Klipsch center speaker down the line.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludawg23 /forum/post/15573756

I'm not too familiar with HDMI switching. How does it work?

How would the connections work if you don't mind me asking? Would I connect the cable box and PS3 to the receiver via HDMI and then HDMI to the TV?

I could get the matching Klipsch center speaker down the line.

Yes, that is how it would work. Then you would just select the appropriate device on the AVR remote

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
HK receiver you mentioned in your first post will not do hdmi switching. And you will be stuck with 2 channel sound. If you are at all interested in a 3.0, 3.1, 5.0 or 5.1 (.1= sub) then you will be wanting an AV Receiver. You can get a killer deal from Harman Audio and their AVR 247 on ebay. I picked one up for $204 shipped.

With your cable and ps3 you have sound formats available that the 2 channel receivers cannot utilize. Why hamper your choices? Just adding a center channel with a decent AVR will blow the doors off most any 2 channel sound for effects.

With the 3480-3490 receivers you are stuck at 2.0 or 2.1. They are good receivers, hard to beat in the 'bang for the buck' department. I own a 3480 and love it for what it does. I also don't think the $150 upgrade to the 3490 is justified simply for the optical input. They are otherwise very identical.

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio_247_W0QQfciZ15QQfclZ3QQfsnZHarmanQ20AudioQQfsooZ1QQfso pZ1QQsaselZ26519532QQsofpZ0Neither

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Not sure why you are looking at 2 channel receivers for an HT; even if you only have 2 speakers now, you will likely someday want to expand first with a sub, then a centre, then rears.

If $300 is your high end, I suggest this Marantz sr4002 on sale .

An excellent receiver with 4 HDMI ins, accepts PCM over HDMI (no issue becuase your PS3 does the lossless decoding) and has pre-outs if you ever decide you want more power so you can get an amp.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. After doing some research for the last 2-3 hours, I've decided on a 5.1 or 7.1 AVR.

I'm going to go with the Pioneer VSX 918 or the Marantz...not sure yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts