AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to connect my old receiver to my HDTV. But, my receiver connection is composite cables(red and white), while my HDTV is using an hdmi cable for video and sound. Can I connect my receiver to my tv? I hope I was descriptive enough. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Of course you can connect your receiver to the TV via composite cables. Whether that is useful depends on the receiver and what source connections you have.

Take a DVD player. A DVD player is better off using a direct component video connection to your TV if your receiver lacks component video. It's a higher quality signal and supports progressive (480p) output for players with a good deinterlacer.

I should note that R/W usually indicates an AUDIO connection, which is not composite. Composite video is usually colored yellow. Audio is another topic.

For audio, you often want to make a digital audio connection to your receiver for the best sound. If you really want TV sound there are options I guess depending on your gear. I would not, for example, connect DVD audio to your TV. Why have a receiver and then use your TV for DVD audio?

TV is one place where people often want audio for the news and such without turning on their TV. I don't understand this need myself. But if you want TV audio only to the TV, just hook up the cable box to the TV only - ignore the receiver.

If you want TV audio from TV sources and sometimes want to use your receiver, that gets more complicated. Not knowing your setup, I can't offer much help there.

So in summary, my advice is to make the best audio connection to your receiver, such as digital audio. And make component video connections directly to your TV if your receiver does not support component video.

If you have HDMI sources, you might be able to connect HDMI to the TV for video while using another connection to the receiver for audio.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/17049795

If you have HDMI sources, you might be able to connect HDMI to the TV for video while using another connection to the receiver for audio.

Thank you for posting such an informative post. At the end you stated my dilemma. I would try it myself but my speakers and receiver are at another location.

What I want to know is whether I can use HDMI for video only and use the composite cables from my receiver for audio? Thanks again.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
When you composite cables from your receiver, I am confused.

So I will try to guess what you mean. Lets say you have a DVD player, game console or cable box with HDMI out. In general, they should support connecting HDMI from that unit to your TV for video, and then making an audio connection to your receiver.

Ideally, you would make a digital connection to your receiver from the source device. That could be coax digital or optical digital. If your receiver does not have inputs for that, you can use an analog stereo connection (R/W colored RCA cables.)

Note that if you don't use digital for cable, game console or DVD player, you won't get Dolby Digital output which is nice. If your receiver does not support Dolby Digital, you might consider acquiring a working Dolby Digital receiver.

For example -

http://www.6ave.com/Shop/product.aspx?sku=PIOVSX918VK

Or

(USED, but claimed to be in good condition with a good seller feedback)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-RX-V661-A...3286.m20.l1116

Those were just some examples.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, my only option is to use an analog stereo connection (red and white plugs). The only thing is, the sound from my tv goes through hdmi, but I want to use external speakers and my receiver. I want the video from hdmi but I want to use the analog stereo connection to use my external speakers and receiver. Is this possible? Thanks a lot for trying to understand to help me.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Yes, with most devices, you can connect video with HDMI, and audio with analog stereo cables.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenniswack88 /forum/post/17050331

Yes, my only option is to use an analog stereo connection (red and white plugs). The only thing is, the sound from my tv goes through hdmi, but I want to use external speakers and my receiver. I want the video from hdmi but I want to use the analog stereo connection to use my external speakers and receiver. Is this possible? Thanks a lot for trying to understand to help me.

It appears you are using HDMI source components and plugging these into an HD video display w/HDMI inputs..

However you only have an old AV receiver (w/o HDMI) and need audio capability. Check the back of your HD video display, and see if it has available Audio Out L/R jacks..

If yes...

Next take a pair of RCA cables available from any Radio Shack or Best Buy plug these in the AVR receiver Audio L/R Inputs Most likely you will need to select the L/R inputs via the AVR's OSD. Once the TV Audio Out L/R is connected to the AVR, switch the AVR to the selected Source Input, connect your loudspeakers to the AVR. Select Dolby Pro Logic on the AVR and you should be good to go..

Just my $0.015...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
That works too. But why can't he direct connect analog stereo from the device to the receiver? Is there an advantage you thought of using the TV? Simpified switching?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts